Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

RIP Bill
Unread 01-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Default RIP Bill

Bill Jaqua has passed away. IMHO, his purchase and subsequent resale of the Parker "Little Persuader" which was described in the center section of the WSJ legitimised gun collecting as an investment alternative.

I never knew that he had been a bombadier. 35 missions? I thought you could come home after 25

William M. Jaqua, age 94, of Findlay, Ohio and Odessa, Florida passed away on Sunday, December 31, 2017 in Florida. William was born on December 30, 1923 to Willard Leo and Mary Mabel (Schwab) Jaqua. Bill married Mary Jo "Jody" McLaughlin on April 18, 1948 and she preceded him in death on August 29, 1999. Surviving William are his children, Patrick Jaqua (Debbie Hatfield), Camille (George) Ranzau, and Cynthia Jaqua, all of Findlay; four grandchildren: Logan Ashcraft, Drew Ashcraft, Nick (Christie) Ranzau, and Patrick Ranzau; and two great grandchildren: Ella and Lucy Ranzau. On December 4, 2004 he married Dianna Simpson Rutledge and she survives along with her son Todd Rutledge and his children, Micayla, Anabel and Christopher Rutledge. William was preceded in death by his brother, Richard E. Jaqua who was killed in World War II. Bill graduated from Findlay High School in 1941. He worked at Buckeye Ditcher until the fall of 1942. He then joined the United States Air Force in December 1942 and graduated as a Bombardier in June 1944. He was then assigned to the 8th Air Force (the "Mighty 8") in England. He flew on 35 bombing missions in a B-17 bomber over Germany. He was discharged in September 1945. Bill's brother, Richard E. Jaqua, was also a Bombardier in the 8th Air Force. Richard was killed in action over Dessau, Germany on May 28th, 1944 when his plane exploded from enemy fire and the entire crew was lost. Immediately after his discharge, he went into business starting Jaqua's Sporting Goods. In the later years, he became quite interested in collectible shotguns. In the late 1970's he purchased an existing gun club from the Fisher Brothers of Findlay and in the 1982 built a gun store on the property. Both he and his business became quite famous for their integrity and honest business practices. Bill loved his time fishing with family and friends up in Canada. He also loved to golf, hunt, and trap shoot. He was a member of the Findlay Elks, American Legion, Findlay Skeet Club, Findlay Country Club, Amateur Trap Shooting Association, National Rifle Association, Hancock County Sports Hall of Fame and will be inducted into the Ohio State Trapshooting Hall of Fame this coming June. Visitation will take place from 2-4 & 6-8 p.m. on Monday, January 8, 2018 at KIRKPATRICK-BEHNKE FUNERAL HOME. Funeral service will be held at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at the funeral home. Burial will follow at the Maple Grove Cemetery with full military rites performed by the Hancock Veterans Memorial Squad. Memorials may be made to Bridge Hospice of Findlay. Condolences may be shared with the family at www.kirkpatrickbehnke.com.
Unread 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,195 Posts

Thanks for posting John, he was one of those special men. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,333 Times in 4,419 Posts

We bought a few guns from him and it was first class all the way
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Thanks John. We lose another one of the Greatest Generation. What tremendous service and contributions he and others of his generation made to this country. His bomber service in the Eighth Air Force brought back memories of my all-time favorite WW II movie, Twelve O'clock High with Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger. Highly recommended for authenticity and the strain of leadership.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

A true Gentleman to deal with. He will surely be missed. Rest In Peace.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Sorry to hear. Was in his shop many times
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 01-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

sad to hear

as aside - 25 missions was made famous by the Memphis Bell story- it grew to 30 then 35 (some units had different numbers and not all missions counted as a full mission)

but to have survived 35 bombing missions was an incredible feat
Unread 01-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Many years ago, I was tending my tables at the Easton, Maryland November gun show. The tables were full of Parkers and Model 21s. A gentleman stood in front of the tables admiring the guns and asked a couple of good questions. I said, "Sir, you seem to know a little about these guns. My name is Bill Murphy." He replied, "Well, I'm Bill Jaqua and I'm glad to meet you."
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

The Pratt A-1 Special two barrel set resided at his place a while, he knew guns, RIP, Gary Carmichael
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote