Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A visit to Bachelder's
Unread 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Default A visit to Bachelder's

I dropped in at Brad's yesterday to have him inspect my 16ga 0 frame Damascus barrels for soundness, take out some faint hammer marks left over from an old bulge repair, and refinish the barrels. I haven't been concerned about shooting the gun myself as it had passed inspection by another reputable smith and I only shoot 2-1/2" shells. But not knowing the quality of the bulge repair, and these being Damascus barrels was a concern and I didn't want to pass it down to one of my boys if there was any chance the barrels weren't safe, especially if someone might drop in a heavy load without thinking. How many times have we been in similar situations of not really knowing if the barrels are safe to shoot?

Well I learned a lot yesterday. The gun is safe to shoot but with a qualifier. Turns out the chambers had been lengthened (that was a surprise) and whoever reamed them out did a poor alignment job. They weren't bored straight. I've looked down those barrels hundreds of times and I never picked up on it but the forward edge of the chamber lip particularly in one barrel was canted. The risk is the wad might not be fully ejected after the shot and could remain in the barrel causing a problem with the next shot. I've always been careful to make sure the barrels are clear after every shot and have never had this happen to me but I couldn't let my boys shoot the gun knowing that. It took experience and the equipment to see this and Brad has both. He'll re-bore and straighten the chambers. He's comfortable with the wall thickness in front of the forcing cone as long as I shoot 2-1/2" low pressure shells. His other recommendation is to engrave "Shoot Only 2-1/2" Shells" on the water table. Good advice and I will follow. And he will make those Damascus barrels look new again.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

You should have Brad date the warning so no future shooter would mistake it for an original stamp.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice, I sent some Bernard barrels to Brad last month, I'm hoping they are safe and can be restored.. I'd like to visit there sometime this year, it's only about a 2 hour drive.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
Nice, I sent some Bernard barrels to Brad last month, I'm hoping they are safe and can be restored.. I'd like to visit there sometime this year, it's only about a 2 hour drive.
Definitely go. I was like a kid in a candy store again. I examined an AHE 16ga he has for sale. I've never seen, much less handled a high grade gun like that before. Also saw examples of his case coloring and refinished Damascus barrels up close. Pictures just can't do justice to quality like that!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

The engraving on that AHE 16 is incredible and the wood is beautiful !

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Dean Hanson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I too have held that AHE 16, most nervous I have been holding a gun. Mr. Bachelder told me to "break it, check it out". A respectful "no thank you, this is more than I can handle" brought a great smile to his face. I am thankful that Bachelder Master Gunmakers is 5 hours away, so is my wife. If they have time, get the tour, Mr. Bachelder is your guide.... nuff said!!!
Dean H Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean H Hanson For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

I assume its the same one that has been on Gunbroker? It does look beautiful!
Unread 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

It was like holding the Holy Grail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 4,752 Posts

I would not stamp anything on a shotgun barrel indicating that "further study" was not necessary. "Further study" is always necessary when a gun changes hands.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brad is a two hour drive for me and I've been there a number of times because I'd rather take my guns to him than trust someone else to get them delivered. Over the years he's shown me some very special Parkers you just don't normally see. As I remember one was a high grade especially built for show at one of the US world fairs. I don't know squat about high grade guns, but that one had engraving everywhere. He had already redone the case colors and like WOW, this sure was a special gun. I think he said only three of them were made. I kind of hate saying what great work he does because he has three of my guns - don't need the wait any longer than necessary. Hint, hint, if you're reading this Brad.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!