Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

The decline is not limited to guns either. I understand the antique furniture market is way down (like 1/3 down). Old books, which I have collected, are down from historical highs as well. The question is whether it is permanent or just a down trend of a cycle.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

John Campbell nailed it in a few short paragraphs.

I believe our classic SXS collecting and shooting niche is in a trough between two swells. Almost everything once appreciated for its classic style and beauty eventually comes back into style, if even briefly and as a new-found fad. Problem is, we old guys may not live long enough to enjoy the resurgence of these things we loved.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean.... I really hope you are right.... for if that is the case then I will worry much less for our younger generation.... praying....
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marty Kohler For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
The Morgan assembly line
Right - those are the body panel supports
Unread 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Its probably a very complex answer and I can think of a few things that even the author of article did not mention that are maybe contributing factors, but I think he captured the broader essence of the issue. I also think its just as complex to figure out why upland game numbers are down all across the Eastern U.S. Its not just one thing or even a handful of things that are making a difference, but a lot of different issues.

Ya know even in writing that article, who is the audience that he is trying to reach. It resonates with people that participate in this forum and others but in the long run. I mean the new market does not even probably read Outdoor Life. The medium they communicate is social media and videos.

Put it this way, I heard this several years ago, think of all the video or broadcasts that the big three NBC, CBS, ABC ever put out since the dawn of television in the 50's. I mean thats years and decades ahead of the internet content. Youtube every single month has more content loaded up by people than those 3 networks ever produced in their entire history combined and that happens every single month.

For giggles go and to youtube and do a search for Parker SXS, or LC Smith, or for that matter on any side by side. There is some content but not as much as you think. Heck I even enjoyed watching Larry Potterfield and an English gunsmith taking an English Boxlock apart. Fascinating to us but others could care for naught.

My advice is to get more content and videos of guys using not just Parkers but any and all SXS's. Sticking it in a magazine, well maybe it reaches the younger generations. Maybe there is an S Curve for demand, supply and price that ebbs and flows, but I'll bet the frequency, wave length and peaks are diminishing as time marches on. There just has to be a need and a want and in my opinion that combination alone is most simplistic hurdle. Their is no or limited need for SxS's with so many other options and hence limited want. Actually the probably the biggest competitor to a SXS is the O/U, which is considered easier to shoot and not much of change from the semi-autos that shooters familiar with both can interchange. Gunfit is an issue, etc. etc.

Like I said, its a crazy stew to figure out.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #16
fred
PGCA Member

Member Info

Maybe we should have a 2 shell capacity in pumps and autoloading shotguns for hunting. In my limited experience the third shot is a waste of a shell anyway.
Christian Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2018, 12:40 AM   #17
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

I showed the article and this thread to my 20 year old son who's first gun was a Parker and already understands the qualities that make these guns special. He just smiled and said " that just means I will own a full set of high grades for pennies on dollar". I told him I thought this was unlikely.

I wonder if the author of the article has ever owned, shot, or desired a nice Parker shotgun? My opinion is that vintage SxS shotguns are an acquired taste both from a financial and functional standpoint and there is a price point for every budget and taste. I have no problem with being in this minority.

I think the day after the Winchester Model 12 was introduced the gun writers of the day started writing of the demise of the SxS shotgun and it has continued through today. Yet Parkers keep coming to market and the good ones continue to sell for more money than ever before. If you are buying them purely to make money then I think you may be disappointed at some point. I have found that buying a vintage shotgun is just about the easiest thing in the world and selling one for what I value it at is much harder. Who's problem is that, buyer or seller? This problem is resolved by buying high and selling low and then telling myself not to do that again(never works). Having said all that, I need a BHE 20 really bad. So, if you have one and want to beat the pending crash and sell it for only half price please contact me.

Patrick
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It has ever and always been a market driven by the gun and ammunition manufacturers. 'Newer is better' - 'Firepower is more important than the well-placed shot' - 'Innovation trumps the tried and true' and in some cases this may be true... like in self-defense or in military situations. If these manufacturers are to stay in business they MUST promote their product in this manner. Manufacturers of the classic SXS guns in today's marketplace KNOW they advertise and sell to a niche market and know the vast majority of today's gun buyers have been 'conditioned' ne brainwashed by the constant beating of that drum and the March of time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
Whitefish
PGCA Member

Member Info

As Fred said maybe the third shot in upland hunting is a waste. Years ago I had a Browning Double Automatic. It was 12g. and I think they were called a " Twelvette ". I have not seen one in years and don't know how long Browning made them. There was also a 20ga. After that gun I tended to lean to M12 Win. and SxS when I could afford a decent one. I think Browning brought the Double Auto's out in the 50's, but they obviously did not last.
Henry McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry McRoberts View Post
I think Browning brought the Double Auto's out in the 50's, but they obviously did not last.

Right - The guys who couldn't hit anything with two shots thought they needed more firepower....

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: