Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #21
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

just great...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #22
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mention of pictures that stir the blood, Winslow Homer's "Right and Left" when I saw it in The National Gallery, Washington. Ducks for me, preferably along North Atlantic shores.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i loved quail hunting but we do not have enough quail left to hunt....so i would choose turkey hunting as my favorite bird to hunt with a parker 8 ga at my side...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #24
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,250 Posts

Grouse
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

Whatever my dogs point on any given day is my "best bird." As I live in (formerly decent) quail country, it is more often than not "Scoundrel Bob" (I cannot call him a Gentleman any longer as he has developed some dastardly tricks to outwit us -- still, we love him). For over 30 years we have hunted grouse and woodcock from a cabin in the Minnesota north woods. Our 2-week October trip is the highlight of my hunting year. I tell folks, there's October in the grouse woods, and then there's waiting for October in the grouse woods. Not original, but its serves its purpose.

I guess I'm fickle, but I can say there's nothing quite like a good day afield with the wife and dogs with a brace of wild Bobs to show for it. Using a special gun just makes it all better.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #26
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pheasants are my number one, they've fascinated me ever since I was a young boy walking to the school bus stop and seeing them in the nearby fields and listening to their cackling. Here's a photo my son with the last bird of the year and another of a rooster and my Labrador after a November hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4355 (002).jpg (553.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4088 (003).jpg (537.8 KB, 0 views)
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 2,013 Posts

Growing up in eastern Ohio on a dairy farm, we had pheasants, quail, and the woods were thick with grouse. WE grew all our own corn, wheat, oats, etc. I remember chasing quail around with my BB gun (never got one), and my father mounted a gun holder on the tractor so they could shoot at pheasants while harvesting the corn. Sadly, the pheasants can only thrive in the glaciated areas of Ohio-we were in the foothills of the Appalachians, and the blizzards of 77-78 decimated the quail. Grouse are almost mythical at this point--kind of like hunting for unicorns or ivory billed woodpeckers. Thus I throw myself into 2 weeks in the UP, hunting from early to late, wearing both my dogs and myself out.
I comiserate with all you southern gentlemen, who grew up with the bobwhite quail, and now find yourself having to travel long distances or pay big bucks just to keep your birddogs happy.
Unread 01-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,151 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quarry

i always like the little rhyme in GBE's The Upland Shooting Life at the start of Part Three - The Birds

"The wild thing I seek is the live thing
somewhere ahead -

The quarry ceases to be quarry
when the quarry's dead"

sadly as with Harold
I am afraid in most of my old haunts - what haunts me is the lack of grouse
Unread 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #29
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

Default Wild Roosters are number one....

As a very young boy I lived to hunt birds. I learned from my older brother how to make a real good home made sling shot from a perfect Y sapling, a pack of rubber bands and a soft peace of leather. I was deadly with it and could get real close stocking my pray! The rich kids had BB guns. I started driving when I was 16 and that sealed my fate! I lost a big block of years when I learned how nice the gals could be! That started in 1971 and lasted way to long! By the time I regained any senses the days of wild Quail and pheasants were all but over in Ohio. I think I shot my last hunted Rooster in 1976 with a pump 20gauge. I shot it well. Later I kept beagles for rabbits and always enjoyed the chase. I was working pretty good back in 1995 I liked looking at the GUN LIST and saw a big add for Parker Reproductions close outs by three big dealers. I got on the phone to Jaqua's who was one of the dealers, they were about 4 hours from Cleveland Ohio. That restarted a love for SXS guns. I don't have the two barrel set that I financed to buy, I later sold it to buy one with two triggers...(-: best thing I ever did! My beagle puppy passed on about 15 years and 4 months and few rabbits could be found due to the influx of eastern coyotes. Through a new friend who is a grouse hunter I learned about setters and how sweet they are. I took a liking to Penny a small frame Gordon setter dog and decided to get me a puppy....Her name is Ruby, she will be 7 February 5th. She has come into her own now and is a real serous grouse, woodcock, quail and rooster dog! She finds them , points them and re-finds them if needed. She is a dog who loves life! My favorite hunt of the year is our 9 day trip to Kansas for wild roosters and quail...then Grouse and doodles in the big north woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0206.jpg (534.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.JPG (236.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.jpg (496.7 KB, 1 views)
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #30
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

The first picture above is Penny...My friend the Gordon setter that owns Dave in potter county P.A. Picture two is This past season in Potter...brace of doodles...(-: The last picture was in Michigan this past fall at the Motel...Ruby staked her claim! SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post: