Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What's your quarry?
Unread 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default What's your quarry?

Now that the season has ended there's plenty of time to reflect on the passing season. I find myself wondering where I am in my pursuit of game birds. I've always hunted wild birds and the two birds around here are Woodcock and Ruffed Grouse. Now all the great writers tell their stories of chasing Ruffies with great fanfare. I find it nostalgic and tradition tells me that they should be my pursuit, but thats not my story, thats not in my heart. I'm a Woodcock man and I have always been. Now don't get wrong I love chasing grouse, but it just doesn't have the same appeal as hunting Woodcock. I always come to the same decision, year after year, what is going to be the chase this year, Ruffed Grouse or Woodcock and Woodcock it always is! So to coin a phrase, what's your "pursuit of happiness"? I'll leave you with a picture to motivates me year after year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180104_080737.jpg (494.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Rick Riddell; 01-04-2018 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Whitefish
PGCA Member

Member Info

Have the same print that my sister gave me about 40 years ago. Have always liked it as it hangs in my den. Still pursue woodcock here in the UP of Michigan as we have good flights in certain areas every fall.
Henry McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry McRoberts For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,227 Times in 12,373 Posts

I wish I could choose between the two, but it's impossible to choose my favorite.
I prefer eating woodcock but too many of them need to be killed to make a meal. So I simply sautee woodcock breasts as hors d'ouvres after a day's upland hunt.

I used to be able to bring down most of the woodcock I shot at, but these days I seem to miss more of them..... must be related to aging.

Grouse, on the other hand, are the most gallant (but sneaky) of gamebirds and I do pretty well, but their numbers have declined somewhat in the past few years.

But I am not a meat hunter... Even on those rare opportunities I've had to shoot my limit, I just won't do it. Call me crazy, but...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,131 Posts

I live in a little farming community in North East Clark County NV. For me, Gambel's Quail is a short walk.
It's the same thing, every time. A couple of German Shorthairs, my old hunting partner Chuck, and an old Parker VHE, and we're off.
The beauty of growing old is, I don't need a lot of birds to make me happy.
Four birds between the two of us is a good day.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Chukar are my passion
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Alan Phillips
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Chukar are my passion

For me it has to be wild chukar with California valley quail a close second. Living in northern Nevada there is unlimited areas to hunt and I just like walking the hills and watching the dogs. Numbers are down this year but we seldom fail to get into birds. Attached is a picture of my Brittany and a friends pointer pointing a few quail in a cut field. My hunting partner is trying to get a picture of the flush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0813.jpg (566.7 KB, 4 views)
Alan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alan Phillips For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have yet to find a wing shooting quarry that I dislike! But, Snipe hunting and Dove hunting are in a dead heat, with wild Bob's in third these days. It used to be Bobwhite's hands down, but hyper expensive lease prices for decent quail country, wildly fluctuating populations have driven me out of the Setter business, and I switched to Vizsla's, a few years ago. We have grown to love these unique, multi talented dogs.
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Mallards over decoys
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,825 Times in 2,017 Posts

Grouse are what fuel my upland passion. Growing up in SE Ohio, i really didnt know much about those funny looking long beaked birds until my Uncle Sam explained to me that many people pursued them with bird dogs. We were rabbit hunting at the time and would flush quite a few woodcock over the course of a hunt in Nov and Dec. I became addicted to grouse hunting, and shot my first with an old Stevens 12 ga sxs--one of those with the nylon stocks.
I have never developed much of a taste for woodcock however, and often pass up shots on them if we are moving good grouse numbers, it just doesnt sit well with me not to eat what I shoot. If I am training a young dog, I do make an effort to get them into woodcock.
It was a strange season for woodcock this year in the UP. Those who went early had hot temps, and told me they didnt do well. I was there the last week of Oct, first week of Nov, and only moved 4 woodcock in 2 weeks--but the grouse hunting was very good. I didnt move many woodcock in Ohio this year either.
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Last year was "The Lost Fall" for me. Daisy wasn't able to hunt and the month of October spent in the U.P. was pretty much a dogless venue. As Harold noted it was hot and it rained..a lot. If I were to put a label on my upland bird hunting endeavors it would be as a Grouse hunter. I like Woodcock also but the Grouse is king for me. Next fall I'll have a young shorthair with me and I hope to be able to get him into some flight birds just for the practice if nothing else.
Unread 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

It's all about grouse and woodcock for me. But, no longer do I find the need to kill to have hunted. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hunt as much as I ever have, but these days it's all about the dog.

My most memorable hunts, however; have been sharing a blind duck hunting with a good friend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post: