Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

BP Light Brush Wad Recipe
Unread 06-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default BP Light Brush Wad Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for the BP Light Brush wads with extreme spreader inserts for a 12 ga. 1 oz load using Remington STS hulls,Remington primers,and Clays powder.I want to load a few to try in a damascus steel barrel Lefever.
Thanks Glenn
james whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

BPI will give you one. Call em up on the phone.
Unread 06-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

As stated, the easiest way to get data is directly from BPI or Precision Reloading.
Ballistic Products calls it the LB12 https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Li...tinfo/072LB12/
Precision calls it a GS12CL. https://precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=TUW&i=GS12CL
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

I called ballistic products,and they do not have any load data using Clays or Red Dot powder with the LB12 wad in a Remington STS hull.Hard for me to believe,but that is what they said?They are not open on Friday,Saturday or Sunday so I thought someone here might have a good load.I have been loading the Winjammer wads with 17.7 gr.of Clays in a Remington STS hull with a Remington primer,very low recoil and a really nice patterning load,I shot some of these this weekend in a damascus Lefever I have.I do not want to buy another powder just to load this LB12 wad with etreme spreader insert. Thanks for the replys.
Glenn
Unread 06-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by james whittington View Post
I called ballistic products,and they do not have any load data using Clays or Red Dot powder with the LB12 wad.
Glenn
That's interesting. I have a BPI load using Red Dot in a Cheddite hull. This load lists the X-Stream Spreader insert. However it is a 7/8 oz load. I would share it but I'm suspicious if they don't claim it. It's listed as 10,300 psi and 1,400 fps. If 7/8 works for you it is Load I.D. 80223-1387.

Last edited by James Halvorson; 06-11-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Unread 06-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

First off a Windjammer is a type of wad, not what manufacture is making it, and that would make a difference. James H, you're a lot better on the internet than me because I don't see where Precision Reloading gives any reloading data. That, and many of BPIs loads are computer generated, another way of saying they didn't actually test some loads, so I'd stay clear of any of BPIs loads if something didn't add up or look right. That load James is referring to - 1400fps at 10,300psi - who in their right mind thinks they need a 1400fps load ? My word, take it down to 1250 or even 1300 by dropping a grain or two of powder and then the pressure drops down also, for us, to a more reasonable level. If it were me and I wanted a spreader load I'd use fiber wads and the spreader insert. Just pick any mild load for the amount of shot you're gonna use, sub in the fiber wads and insert. If you're gonna load something not normally encountered like spreaders, you're going to have and buy something. It's just the way it is. Good luck - Paul
Unread 06-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Halvorson View Post
That's interesting. I have a BPI load using Red Dot in a Cheddite hull. This load lists the X-Stream Spreader insert. However it is a 7/8 oz load. I would share it but I'm suspicious if they don't claim it. It's listed as 10,300 psi and 1,400 fps. If 7/8 works for you it is Load I.D. 80223-1387.
My bad,I have since edited my statement.I asked BP about a load using Clays powder or Red Dot in a Remington STS hull,1 oz of shot and they did not have a load using either of these powders in a Remington hull with this wad and extreme spreader insert.I did not ask about any other hulls,I only want 1150 to 1200 fps and would like to keep the pressure under 8000 psi.

Glenn
Unread 06-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've come back after a couple of days and read my post. I'm sorry I sounded so bad. I didn't mean to come off that way. If it were me I'd just use the load you have and sub in a .135 hard card, or overshot card as it's called, as many cushion wads as needed for proper load height with the spreader insert in the shot. You'll have less pressure than you would with the plastic wad because you'll get blow by. Just use your 17.7grs of clays and you'll be safe. You might even want to go up a grain. Good luck - Paul
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 06-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is a nice load precision reloading worked out for me. I tried it out yesterday and really liked it at my clubs 5 stand field, went 23 of 25 with my new Lefever 12 ga.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCE_000030.pdf (628.4 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to james whittington For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Outstanding! They have good people at Precision. Putting that one in my own reloading binder.