Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #21
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
At $1.20 a shell I don't think you can load them that cheaply, especially if you value your time to load that many. That is a great price. As for me, I would not hesitate to shoot them in my number 2 frame guns, Sterlingworths, etc. Just me.
I ordered stuff to do some handloads.... Not to save money, because I have never saved a nickel doing handloads... But, because I enjoy doing it.

I am sure my Parker could handle those loads, but will enjoy making my own.... I can't remember the last time I killed a deer with a factory load, I don't have to do it that way, but I enjoy it....
Unread 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #22
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,678 Times in 870 Posts

---

Last edited by Jerry Harlow; 05-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: I know nothing after fity+ years of shooting and reloading.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #23
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

[QUOTE=Jerry Harlow;302853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
The slowest load you posted was at 1350 fps, that will produce 22% more recoil than an 1 1/4 ounce load going 1250. At 1400 fps recoil is 32% greater.

Just wondering why if both loads are 1 1/4 ounces, 100 fps more would produce 22% greater recoil and 200 fps 32%. What is the source for these percentage figures? In an 8 pound 2 frame gun(with two shells in the chambers)? Just looking for the source since I don't see or feel the same in one ounce target loads at 1150 fps compared to the one ounce hunting loads at 1250 fps. Thanks.
If memory serves(ha-ha) Tom Roster did an article for Shooting Sportsman 4-5 or more years ago on that subject . You pay a stiff price in recoil for a small increase in velocity. The bigger downside is how fast that added velocity is lost.
It may seem counter- intuitive but the 100 fps gain does not carry downrange at that increase but at 40 yds. is negligible.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

[QUOTE=Jerry Harlow;302853]
Quote:
The slowest load you posted was at 1350 fps, that will produce 22% more recoil than an 1 1/4 ounce load going 1250. At 1400 fps recoil is 32% greater.

Just wondering why if both loads are 1 1/4 ounces, 100 fps more would produce 22% greater recoil and 200 fps 32%. What is the source for these percentage figures? In an 8 pound 2 frame gun(with two shells in the chambers)? Just looking for the source since I don't see or feel the same in one ounce target loads at 1150 fps compared to the one ounce hunting loads at 1250 fps. Thanks.
I used an online shotgun recoil calculator to get precise difference in ft lbs for 7 pound 12 ounce gun which is about what most 12ga Trojans weigh.

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

An ounce and quarter at 1350 to 1450 is way too stiff for my tastes and too stiff for old classic doubles as far as I am concerned. You definitely do not need that kind of velocity to kill waterfowl with the right size bismuth shot, even at 40 yards. Have you patterned them at 40 yards to see what they are doing?
Unread 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #25
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

[QUOTE=Daniel Carter;302863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post

If memory serves(ha-ha) Tom Roster did an article for Shooting Sportsman 4-5 or more years ago on that subject . You pay a stiff price in recoil for a small increase in velocity. The bigger downside is how fast that added velocity is lost.
It may seem counter- intuitive but the 100 fps gain does not carry downrange at that increase but at 40 yds. is negligible.

This one: https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns...peed-kill.html
Unread 05-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #26
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

There is also an article he did that focuses on recoil when velocity and/or charge weight are increased. Made a light charge weight / slow guy out of me for clays with no change in my abysmal scores.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #27
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

When in doubt, go lighter. The gun...and your body, will thank you.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #28
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,678 Times in 870 Posts

+++

Last edited by Jerry Harlow; 05-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: I know nothing after 50+ years of shooting and reloading.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

[QUOTE=Jerry Harlow;302903]
Quote:

I tried that website to see how they came up with their calculations which I believe are way too high, but it is blocked telling me it is a dangerous website (?).

As I stated before, if their calculations are correct, I should notice quite a bit of difference between 1 ounce loads going 1150 fps (2 3/4 dram equivalent), 1200 fps (3 dram equivalent), and 1250 fps (3 1/4 dram equivalent), but I have never felt a 22% increase in recoil between the first and the third load, which if the chart is correct would apply.

Here is what Tom Roster has to say about lead and tungsten for velocities and then what he clearly states for loads with shot that is less dense than lead, for which he supports higher velocities:

"...the science-based reality that with lead and nontoxic tungsten-composite pellet hunting loads possessing lead shot equivalent pellet densities, all you need for effective (spelled: lethal) velocity is something near 1250 fps ± 50 fps. For steel loads, all that is needed is something near 1350 fps ± 50 fps."

Bismuth as we know is not lead equivalent (but denser than steel); therefore Tom Roster is recommending between 1300 and 1400 fps for stuff less than lead. I believe that is why Hevi-shot has loaded their "Hevi Bismuth" shells that are "FOR MODERN AND CLASSIC GUNS" at 1400 fps. I feel certain that they have done more testing than any of us could ever imagine before releasing their product and advertising that they were "safe" for classic guns. They apparently know something about downrange velocities as well.

I do know for sure that modern steel loads at these extremely high velocities are like night and day compared to the initial steel loads first brought onto the market that were being pushed at normal velocities of 1200 fps. I forbade those goose hunting with me to use the early loads. They too have seen the need for higher downrange velocities. To each his own and I won't argue with whatever someone else is successful with but I always look for an edge for not every shot I make is perfect and I hate wounded game birds.
If you are happy shooting a 1 1/4 ounce load at 1400 fps out of a 7 3/4 lb classic double have fun. I have found there is no need to punish the gun and and my shoulder with something that heavy. Personally I don't think it's good advice especially when you don't know the condition of the gun they will be used in. There are plenty of people on this forum successfully taking ducks and geese with bismuth loadings in 10 and 12 gauge guns with a velocity between 1150 and 1250. Again if you want greater killing power at longer range increase the mass of the pellet. Try shot size 3.5 from Roto Metals on ducks. It looks to be about the same number of pellets per ounce , 137 as the original Bismuth Cartridge Company #4 (which was oversized, almost a #3, late in production they downsized the #4 pellet). The "old" 4's work great on ducks and close geese at 1150 to 1250 fps and I'll bet those 3.5's will too. I am just about out of bismuth #1 and I think I am going to try Roto Metals #0 next for geese.