Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
I just picked some loads using Cheddite hulls which are readily available in new primed form from the two sources. Remembering that Bismuth is lighter than lead, I feel that the few more grains of Longshot delivering the shot at perhaps 100 fps faster would give the same penetration as lead, since Bismuth will not have quite the killing power. Longshot I have found is a very dirty burning powder, perhaps not burning completely, and maybe the reason for heavier charges in the Cheddite hull which I use it with, as compared to the WWAA hull using less powder but a hotter primer. I think the recoil since both are 1 1/4 ounce loads would be negligible and unnoticed, but that is a decision for the shooter.
The slowest load you posted was at 1350 fps, that will produce 22% more recoil than an 1 1/4 ounce load going 1250. At 1400 fps recoil is 32% greater. That is a significant difference that both the gun and shooter have to absorb, one is going to feel it. Bismuth does act like lead and velocity is the enemy of tight patterns, in addition bismuth is more brittle and pellets have been known to shatter further reducing effectiveness. The old timers knew to increase killing power at longer range you increase the mass of the pellet, it still works today. I have been shooting bismuth reloads in 12 and 10 gauge for about 25 years with good effect. Loads moving at 1150 to 1250 work great with the proper shot size, I found there is no need to beat up a gun and shoulder with a higher velocity. I have never concerned myself with whether a powder is dirty or not unless I am shooting a gas automatic.
Unread 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #12
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Loads moving at 1150 to 1250 work great with the proper shot size, I found there is no need to beat up a gun and shoulder with a higher velocity. I have never concerned myself with whether a powder is dirty or not unless I am shooting a gas automatic.
This is the sort of load I am looking for. I care more about the gun than I do killing ducks. And, I am not a pass shooter, I like to pull them into the stool, before taking them... So, Bismuth is lighter, so what shot size do you like for decoying ducks? #4 or #5 would be my thinking, I always liked #5's when shooting lead back in the day.

Thanks for all the responses. I have over 40 years in metalic cartridge handloads, but just started with shot shells last year when I picked up a friend of mine's MEC Sizemaster. So far I have only loaded #8 1 1/8 oz target loads. And still get frustrated trying to figure out how to get the perfect crimp......
Unread 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was looking around yesterday, and ran across these. They say they are safe for classic guns, but I dunno.... Sure seems pretty hot for a SxS that is almost 100 yrs old.... Says on side of box, for Modern or Classic guns.... I might shoot them out of my model 12, which is a 1946 gun..... But I'd think they have a pretty solid thump to them.

SPECS
Gauge: 12
Shell Length: 2 3/4"
Shot Weight: 1 1/4 oz
Muzzle Velocity: 1400 FPS

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...oz-Case-of-250
Unread 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I dont have as many years experience as J.B.but I think you would have good results with the #5s at the distance you described.I have had some testing done by Tom Armbrust,and by his recomendation and as stated above,1200 fps is a good velocity as it may produce a better pattern than faster loads.I like using cheddite hulls as per the hodgdon site they usually produce less pressure than most other hulls.They usually require a little more powder as they have a greater case capacity than most other hulls.The loads listed on Hodgdons site are plenty fast with this hull.I visited with Tom a couple nights ago and he is coming to my place for a visit in a month or so,and I talked him into bringing his pressure barrel along.We plan on testing some 10 and 12 gauge bismuth loads.With Toms permission I can post some of them on here.There are many good loads posted by the powder companys,but most are a little hotter than I want to shoot through my older guns.No sense beating them up.There are several sources for bismuth.I have purchased some from Roto Metals and thought it looked good.They sometimes put it on sale.If you want to get any shells tested,I have Toms number and address.Precision reloading in Mitchell S.D.also does testing.
Jeff Sweeter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Problem right now.... Finding things in stock...

I see Ballistic Products has #5 shot in 7# bag. And, Cheddite 12ga 2-3/4 16mm brass, primed & skived hulls. So, skived is a new term to me, what is that?
Unread 05-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Skived is the mouth of the hull is internally ground a little to provide a slight taper for wad insertion and possibly easier crimping.
Jeff Sweeter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter View Post
Skived is the mouth of the hull is internally ground a little to provide a slight taper for wad insertion and possibly easier crimping.
Thanks, so those would make for a good hull to use.... ?

I may just order 7lbs of shot, and 100 hulls... That'd give me a start.

Now, if I can just find some longshot powder.

There is a graf's here in town, may have to slide over there.
Unread 05-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looks like with those hulls... This would be a good load, and could even back off the powder a bit? Since I already have the WAA12R wads.

Hodgdon Longshot Ched. 209 WAA12R 31.4 7,200 PSI 1,350
Unread 05-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

///
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #20
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info