Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New parker acquired two barrelled set
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Chip Beckford
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Smile New parker acquired two barrelled set

HI all, I just acquired, traded for a new Parker, 60295 serial number today. It is a G grade with two sets of barrels. It has a 16Ga set 28 inch and a 12 Ga set 30 inch. It serials out that it was originally a 16 Ga so the 12 GA barrels are a second set and are marked with a 2. This is the good news. The bad news is that someone butchered the comb on the stock. It will probably need a new butt stock and at least one forearm. The barrels are in good shape with good bores and the metal is good just needs a re-finish. I don't know how rare this is if at all, and am going to send a letter in tomorow as there are records for it according to the serial search. I am looking for thoughts on wood work that is affordable as I would like to resore it and shoot it.

Thanks,

Chip Beckford
Chip Beckford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Lee St.Clair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Welcome Mr Beckford!!
These guys know ALOT about parkers....best place to post this is under 'general discussion'....with pics...you may get more than you wanted....smiles.
Lee St.Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Chip Beckford
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

HI Lee, Thanks for the note. As I am new how do I do that, I could not figure it out last night. Thanks Chip
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Chip, too bad the barrels weren't the other way around - 12 ga. 28" and 16 ga. 30"
I have a couple of Parkers with two barrel - two gauge sets that didn't start out as two barrel sets but they are pretty versatile the way they are.
Your Parker should be on a 1-frame, is it? It should be stamped on the bottom of the rear section of the barrel lug of the original 16 ga. set. There should be a 16 stamped along with the stamp of the frame size - probably a 1
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
markings
Unread 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Chip Beckford
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default markings

HI Dean, thanks for the note, I will have to look on the frame tonight. There is a #1 stamped on the lug I do know that. The 16Ga barrels are marked Damascus steel, and the 12 Ga are marked twist and then what looks like steel, but the markings look like they were stamped over another set of Parker markings that were under the present markings and partially removed. The barrels are serialed to the gun and marked with a #2 on the fore end latch and on the wood in the fore end. I will have to see If I can get some pictures on the site some time in the near future.

Are these two gauge sets more unusual?

Chip
Unread 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Chip, you need to order a PGCA Research Letter on your Parker. Hopefully it will answer the question of the originality of the two sets of barrels.
On original Parker two barrel sets only 1/4 or 1/3 of them are mixed gauges I believe.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote