Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #41
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

The occupants of my modest cabinet and I are all on the same team.
Everyone is root'in for me to get out more.

The newest cheerleader is on her way...

Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2022, 02:05 PM   #42
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Cash View Post
The occupants of my modest cabinet and I are all on the same team.
Everyone is root'in for me to get out more.

The newest cheerleader is on her way...

I hope that happens for you, Bobby.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #43
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,279 Times in 2,428 Posts

You just can't go wrong with a 28 Bob.
Unread 04-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #44
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
The most nostalgic gun I own is my big HE grade, 32" barreled, 3" chambered Fox duck gun. It has been a regular worrier of ducks ever since I acquired it, maybe 15 yrs. ago (?). I take it to Arkansas every year for ducks and, with bismuth, it has never let me down. Three years ago I went 6 for 6 with it. It is Thor's hammer, on ducks.

It is likely the last S X S I'd ever part with.
I’ve got several that fall in the last to go category at the moment . But I have one that if my after life plans work out will never leave me . I have a circa 1881 W&C Scott Crystal indicator 10 gauge my grandfather was given when he returned home from WWII . Gun was used hard and somewhat abused before he acquired it , so it’s no great collector piece . But it’s special to me and since it appears I’ll have no male heirs other than a cousin , I’ll give him the rest of grandfathers Guns but the W&C Scott will go in the box with my ashes for eternity .
Unread 04-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #45
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,071 Posts

I had one gun that I hadn't hunted in years but was way more special than any I have...so special in fact that I recently gave it away.

Late 1940's, the war was over and my dad wanted a new shotgun. Guns were still pretty hard to come by but my dad knew a guy who said he had a line on a 12ga auto. What arrived was not one gun but two, and not 12ga's but 16's. Dad took them both; my oldest brother got the other. When I was 12 or so my father was shot in a hunting accident which cost him most of the vision in his left eye; he never hunted after that, and from then on his gun (a Savage 775a) was pretty much mine, despite there never being any "official" transfer. For years it was the only shotgun I owned. Then I got interested in doubles and after that the Savage languished in the back corner of my gun cabinet.

My brother eventually gave his to one of his sons and hinted that, if I wasn't shooting dad's anymore, he'd sure like to have it for his other son. He even offered to buy it a couple times but even though I wasn't shooting it I just wasn't ready to let go of it. I don't have a male heir, and my daughter just isn't interested.

Two years ago, before our yearly hunting trip to South Dakota, I put the gun in the old canvas sleeve that was the only gun case dad ever had and took it along, and while there I gave it to my nephew Tim. It was time. I still have dad's vest and a few boxes of his shells which I'll never shoot. My only regret is that my brother passed away a few years ago and I wish I had done it while he was still around to see it. He would have liked that.

Unread 04-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #46
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
I had one gun that I hadn't hunted in years but was may more special than any I have...so special in fact that I recently gave it away.

Late 1940's, the war was over and my dad wanted a new shotgun. Guns were still pretty hard to come by but my dad knew a guy who said he had a line on a 12ga auto. What arrived was not one gun but two, and not 12ga's but 16's. Dad took them both; my oldest brother got the other. When I was 12 or so my father was shot in a hunting accident which cost him most of the vision in his left eye eye; he never hunted after that, and from then on his gun (a Savage 775a) was pretty much mine, despite there never being any "official" transfer. For years it was the only shotgun I owned. Then I got interested in doubles and after that the Savage languished in the back corner of my gun cabinet.

My brother eventually gave his to one of his sons and hinted that, if I wasn't shooting dad's anymore, he'd sure like to have it for his other son. He even offered to buy it a couple times but even though I wasn't shooting it I just wasn't ready to let go of it. I don't have a male heir, and my daughter just isn't interested.

Two years ago, before our yearly hunting trip to South Dakota, I put the gun in the old canvas sleeve that was the only gun case dad ever had and took it along, and while there I gave it to my nephew Tim. It was time. I still have dad's vest and a few boxes of his shells which I'll never shoot. My only regret is that my brother passed away a few years ago and I wish I had done it while he was still around to see it. He would have liked that.

I'll bet your brother knows. That is most definitely a very special gun, Phil.
Unread 04-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #47
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Reminds me of agun I dug out recently that I may turkey hunt with... My dad special ordered a Remington 1100 410 with 25" full chokes in the 1970's. Recently picked up a handful of TSS #9 shells for it and may take it out for Turkey here in MO next week. This was dad's Rabbit/Squirrel gun.

He had his name engraved in the receiver so this one is on the never sell list of guns, even if it's one of those new-fangled autoloading things...

Patterned it at 30yds last weekend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6945.jpg (503.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6948.jpg (524.1 KB, 2 views)
Unread 04-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #48
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
Reminds me of agun I dug out recently that I may turkey hunt with... My dad special ordered a Remington 1100 410 with 25" full chokes in the 1970's. Recently picked up a handful of TSS #9 shells for it and may take it out for Turkey here in MO next week. This was dad's Rabbit/Squirrel gun.

He had his name engraved in the receiver so this one is on the never sell list of guns, even if it's one of those new-fangled autoloading things...

Patterned it at 30yds last weekend...
Another keeper gun! They don't have to have two barrels to be special.

Pat, that pattern suggests a bird will die if you don't get the shakes. I always get the shakes, BTW.

So, I assume your second bird will be called up for your new tight-choked Parker 20? Please leave at least one gobbler for me. I won't make the first week (going to the Southern), but will hit the bush for week two.
Unread 04-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #49
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Another keeper gun! They don't have to have two barrels to be special.

Pat, that pattern suggests a bird will die if you don't get the shakes. I always get the shakes, BTW.

So, I assume your second bird will be called up for your new tight-choked Parker 20? Please leave at least one gobbler for me. I won't make the first week (going to the Southern), but will hit the bush for week two.
The 20 will get some time in the woods...... It'll probably just be a game time decision which gun I am in the mood to carry that morning... Perfect season would be one with the 20, one with the 410.

Gonna hunt first weekend, into that monday, as you know we can only kill one bird first week, so this way if I am lucky enough to take a bird Sat or Sun, I can kill my 2nd on Mon. I've only ever killed 2 birds in a season once, I don't really spend much time chasing turkeys as I like to save my vaca time for chasing deer in the fall. Wife says I can only take so much vaca for hunting as I am still supposed to do trips with her. Although, we are doing a trip to WY for antelope in oct(assuming we get tags). That doesn't count as hunting vaca.

More importantly, hoping to find mushrooms.
Unread 04-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #50
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
The 20 will get some time in the woods...... It'll probably just be a game time decision which gun I am in the mood to carry that morning... Perfect season would be one with the 20, one with the 410.

Gonna hunt first weekend, into that monday, as you know we can only kill one bird first week, so this way if I am lucky enough to take a bird Sat or Sun, I can kill my 2nd on Mon. I've only ever killed 2 birds in a season once, I don't really spend much time chasing turkeys as I like to save my vaca time for chasing deer in the fall. Wife says I can only take so much vaca for hunting as I am still supposed to do trips with her. Although, we are doing a trip to WY for antelope in oct(assuming we get tags). That doesn't count as hunting vaca.

More importantly, hoping to find mushrooms.
Good luck. Post a photo of your bird...or your mushrooms.