Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
A family Parker
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A family Parker

Hello, Friends,
I am showing you this Parker exactly as it came into my temporary possesion: In pieces. The gun belongs to the estate of my cousin. Another cousin would like to purchase it from the estate. We are seeking advice on several issues, including fair market value to the estate in its current condition, advice on parts which might not be original or might be missing, etc.

If I exceed the photo limit, I will re-post in smaller, follow-up posts.

We have a size 3 frame. Serial number indicates it was made in 1881, which is curious, because it's a grade 1. Other info on the site suggests that grade 1 began in 1882. I believe it's a ten gauge. Barrels are marked "laminated steel."

In its current condition, it looks like a pig, but I think it could at least be made into a wall-hanger, and perhaps even a restored gun.

Good things about it: Most parts are here, but we are probably missing a few screws. Locks show very nice case colors, but they don't show in my photos. Barrels show little surface rust on the outside. They are a plum brown color. They ring like church bells when lightly tapped. Rib is secure. Steel laminations are clearly visible in barrels, although they don't show in my pictures. Barrels have lots of wall thickness and pits aren't too deep. Stock is nice walnut with a bit of figure.

Bad things about it: Bores show some pitting, as we would expect, and a bit of rust in the chamber area. Extractor is currently frozen in a partially lifted position. Its shaft is not bent. I believe it's frozen due to rust, and could be made to move again. Internal lock works show some discoloration here and there--perhaps rust, perhaps just funk. Triggers move, but do not operate smoothly or easily. Butt plate is toast. Dog face is almost completely worn off, and a chip is missing from toe. One butt plate screw appears to be a replacement.
One hammer screw has a damaged slot. I do not see a precise wood to metal fit in the stock inlets and fittings. I expect a Parker to have a much better fit of wood to metal. Stock might be a replacement, but it is old. Or, it might have been sanded down at some point in history. I see "hairy"mold or mildew in the lock inlets. There is a very small dent in the left barrel, and some kind of dried (formerly liquid) funk on the right barrel. Most metal parts are HEAVILY painted with a clear finish of some kind--varnish or lacquer.

Please advise on a few things: First, fair value to the estate in its current condition. Next, immediate cleaning of issues such as the mold or mildew in the lock inlets. Last--and I know this is whimsy--if it were yours, would you make it a wall hanger or perhaps look into restoring it more fully? We realize it might not be worth that kind of expense.
Many thanks to all,
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg action-bottom.jpg (98.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg action-top.jpg (81.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg barrel-flats.jpg (178.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg barrell-dent.jpg (135.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg breech-face.jpg (268.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg butt-plate.jpg (139.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg comb-top.jpg (48.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fore-end-1.jpg (75.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg inlet-right.jpg (112.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stock-left.jpg (68.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg stock-right.jpg (80.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg trigger-group.jpg (66.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg trigger-grouop-2.jpg (63.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg water-table.jpg (157.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg locks-1.jpg (117.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg locks-2.jpg (120.2 KB, 4 views)
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote