Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

G.E. Lewis Stock
Unread 11-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default G.E. Lewis Stock

Hi everybody! I am in the process of refinishing the stock on my Lewis 'Magnum Wildfowler', and have some questions. I plan on using CCL products, as sold by the folks at the DGJ. Does anyone have experience with these products? I attached some photos of the stock and forend. I stripped the old finish with acetone and cleaned all the crud from the checkering. Would it be safe to say that the forend is made of a different breed of walnut than the buttstock? I can see some distinct figure in the stock, but thought the black streaks looked like they were applied with a small brush and black paint, prior to the original finish being applied. I wonder if the wood suffered from poor storage and the streaks were caused by water. The surface was rough, as though the grain 'whiskered up' from being wet, then dried. Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (544.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (532.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (543.8 KB, 0 views)
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

The wood figure you have certainly looks natural for English walnut. Don't fret that. And forend wood did not necessarily come from the same stick as the buttstock. Often just a convenient selection.

But, I would think seriously about raising the dents and correcting the other wood distress before refinishing. If this gun were mine, I'd also dress up the chequering.

As for the CCL products, they are fine. Albeit very slow to progress through. Do not expect Tru-Oil curing times! I'd budget a month or more for stain/finish with CCL.

Thos. Bland in PA used to sell some UK-sourced stuff called Rapid Oil. This dries much faster. And is the finished used by H&H and Westleys. Check the Bland web site.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: