Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Parker 16 Guage Model Questions
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Christpher Holcomb
Forum Associate

Member Info

Smile Parker 16 Guage Model Questions

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the comments. We had omitted a digit when looking up the serial number and find that you are all correct. Thanks for your patience. I'll send some pictures later.....the gun is very tight and I have checked it over again following my gunsmith's evaluation, cleaning and correction of a problem with the safety sticking. Everything is exceptionally tight and my gunsmith told me he would hunt with this gun today. The ringing barrels I am hearing more and more is common with many Parker Side-By-Side guns of this vintage. It is much more of a keepsake for me to one day pass down to my son and then his grandson's than one that I want to hunt. Thanks for the great information regarding butt plate replacement. That is invaluable. Happy New Year and Blessings on all of you.....Chris
Christpher Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

The Vintage Gun Grip link for Trojan replacement butt plates may be O.K., but they are a hard plastic. I believe original Parker Trojan butt plates were made from a hard rubber. Galazan lists 2 sizes of hard rubber replacement butt plates for Trojans, 5 1/16" and 5 5/32"--both regularly $48 each on sale for $20 each. Here's a link to the larger size which I believe is the correct size for a 12-ga. gun (not sure if 5 1/16" is correct for a 20 and 16-ga.guns): http://www.csmcspecials.com/ProductD...PB310&CartID=2
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian View Post
We had this discussion at the New Years day shoot, I have a high condition GHE and both barrels upon firring ring like church bells.
Mine ring like wedding bells . . . wonder what that means??
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Dean,

That's your wifes way of getting into your head telling you to come home from the gun club and clean out the garage
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dean,I didn't tell Rich about the garage...Honest.....
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Robin- might need your advice--

[QUOTE=Robin Lewis;10572]I had a nice 28ga GHE and when I fired the right barrel, I would hear a clear, high pitch ring. I hunted with it and had no problems but one day in the field I noted that the small locking screw on the side of the receiver was lost. I was near my gunsmith's shop so I stopped in and he replaced the screw............ and the ring was gone.

I have no idea why or what may have caused it. It was the only Parker I ever shot that had the ring and when Herb replaced the small screw it was gone.[ The PH 16 with 26" Twist barrels I just bought- the dealer had it as a 16 Trojan, and was an "as is'gun- As soon as I examined it, I knew what the problem may be- a broken flat cocking spring- all the other mechanics are fine-on face, triggers, safety- top lever will return when to press trip- hammers recock from the cocking cam lug in the water table slot-

I don't believe this Parker was ever taken apart- some dried oil crud of course, but all the trigger plate screws came out w/o a hitch, also the rear lower tang screw- but I have tapped the plate, receiver sides and the wooden dowel in the lug slot, as your instructions stated, NaDa- do I need to soak the plate from the bottom three screw mounting holes with CLP or Kroil- with the receiver tipped down and the buttstock elevated about 30 degrees and set in a well padded vise-

This low grade older (1906?) Parker sure has a fine piece of flamed grain walnut-but I believe the Parkers made before WW1 usually do (except perhaps the Trojans) WW1 aircraft props were walnut generally- so guess where alot of walnut went, plus rifle stocks etc--

Thanks for your help- and FYI- I handle and treat my Parkers (and Smiths) the same way I do my vintage Martins- no BF&I--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote