Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Parker 16 Guage Model Questions
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Christpher Holcomb
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker 16 Guage Model Questions

I inherited my Great Grandfathers 16 GA. Parker Side-By-Side and I'm searching for a Butt Plate. In doing so....I'm trying to identify the year made, model and quality grade. Really.....I want to find out everything I can about this model in addition to finding an original replacement Butt Plate The number on the trigger guard is 160410. The only other markings/stampings on the gun are <OV> ad JG. The gun is in excellent condition, original bluing, stock and typcial of a farmers gun. Well worn and in excellent firing order. Interesting thing about this gun is that when you fire a standard Dove load, the barrels "ring". This gun has never been refinished...just used. I'm also curious about recommendations/warnings regarding refinishing/restoration. Please help me with your expertise......Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!....Chris
Christpher Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Christpher, You Grandfathers gun is listed as a 1912 Trojan grade 16 gauge with 28in barrels and a pistol grip stock. Post some pictures if you can,so others here can give you an evaluation on its condition. HTH
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

In addition...Its a very early Trojan Grade gun. We love pictures..
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Christpher Holcomb
Forum Associate

Member Info

HTH......I got on PGCA (I'm new here and enjoying the great company) and traced the serial number and it showed the date on this gun as 1879. Can you tell me where you got your information. Any ideas about where I can pick-up a butt plate? I'll send pictures later.....Chris
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Christpher Holcomb
Forum Associate

Member Info

HTH......BTW....thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated...Happy New Year! We need to all pray that the Lord makes this a better one than last year!
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Christpher, If you gave the correct serial # (160410)? You can go to the PGCA Home page,click on "Manufacturing dates by serial#" input your serial # and the production date will be displayed. I got 1912. However I got my information from the "serialization book", a book that lists most of the Parkers produced and their barrel and stock configuration when they left the factory.
On the PGCA homepage you can also click on "Parker grades" and find the gun grade that matches yours. You'll notice the Trojan had a very uniquely shaped receiver.And as already noted you would have one of the first produced as the Trojan was introduced in 1912.

Source of a reproduction,

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-p31.html
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy

Last edited by Robert Rambler; 01-03-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Barrels ring upon firing?

Two possible causes:

1. Loose top or bottom ribs. Take the barrels off, suspend by your fingers from the lug and tap the barrels and ribs along their length with a pencil. If a rib is loose, Kirk Merrington in Texas can fix it. Loose ribs need to be attended to because the barrels could be rusted underneath.

2. It could be the top lever vibrating. That is common in Parkers, kind of characteristic, particularly in small gauges, and live with it.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

I have a few Parkers that when either dry fired of fired with a shell the barrels ring.At least with my guns the ribs have nothing to do with it.I suspect good strong main springs.Either way I have put a ton of rounds through them with no problems.
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I had a nice 28ga GHE and when I fired the right barrel, I would hear a clear, high pitch ring. I hunted with it and had no problems but one day in the field I noted that the small locking screw on the side of the receiver was lost. I was near my gunsmith's shop so I stopped in and he replaced the screw............ and the ring was gone.

I have no idea why or what may have caused it. It was the only Parker I ever shot that had the ring and when Herb replaced the small screw it was gone.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

We had this discussion at the New Years day shoot, I have a high condition GHE and both barrels upon firring ring like church bells.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote