Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

To you John, and for all you do
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Good message- nice to know that about brother John
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #22
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good message- nice to know that about brother John

As both a member of St. Patrick's parish and a believer in trying to help others, I recall the late Fr. Flannigan, founder of Boy's Town saying these words: "No man stands taller than when he bends down to help a child" and Haiti has to be one of the many countries ravaged by disease and poverty-and of course the children are affected in the greater extreme. I also recall the words of my friend John Croyle, founder of Big Oak Ranch in Gadsen, AL-- John was a star running back for "Bear" Bryant at "Bama" in the late 1970's- had several pro offers, but instead, with the help of a brother athlete who turned over his first year signing bonus with the Washington Redskins to help John and his wife Ti start Big Oak Ranch "on a shoestring" and like the acorns that fall to the ground, Big Oak Ranch has also-- John is the person who said two things that I will always remember about caring for children: 1) "Patience is being patient when your patience runs out", and (2) "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car we drove, what sort or house we lived in, or how much money we had in the bank- what will matter is that we were able to make the life of a child better"--

Of note, at least to me, in my friend's last remarks is his choice of the singular- "A child" not perhaps children. I am "second guessing" John here, but I think he may have recalled the parable about the boy on the beach after a severe storm-- goes something like this: "On the morning after a huge storm from the ocean had pounded the beach, a man sees a young lad picking up starfish- damaged from the pounding waves--' Say there, Son, he says- don't you know you can't save them all?" "Yesire, that's true, but at least I can save ONE" was the lads' reply--

I belong to the FruitRidge Farms hunt club (where I will be hunting pheasants tomorrow) and they sponsor the "Hunt For A Cure" Cystic Fibrosis program, our European shoot for 22/Nov will be a benefit for that cause. And Chuck Connell, owner of the Tails A Waggin club near Marion, MI sponsors fishing charters for children-

I'm not surprised to read this about John Dunkle, even though we have never met- as our Aussie friends might say: "Good on you, Mate" Good indeed!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 11-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Aww - my thanks folks.. Actually - our 501c3 isn't a part of any Catholic Church - or for that matter - any larger organization(s), churches, yada, yada. In short - we set it up and run it - and it is privately funded through our efforts alone and private donations from private individuals.. For that - we have done a few orphanages, schools effecting thousands of kids and support some children through foster mothers for school expenses, books and uniforms... May of these kids are "street kids" who have no parents and or were to be sold off into child slavery (which happens to about 300,000 Haitian children a year - google "haiti restaveks"

While I really need to update our website with some newer info - here it is:

http://rennwish.org/
or a couple of our projects. As you can see - we don't "hand out fish" - but rather - "teach the kids/villages to fish"..:
http://rennwish.org/Pastor_Vilnor.htm
http://rennwish.org/Pwoje_Espwa.htm
http://rennwish.org/Buy_Mom_A-Block.htm

Anyway - my sincerest thanks!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #24
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Even without a church affiliation, you're doing God's work...

John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mazza For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

In preparation for going north to go south, Dakota that is, we need to mention that we use the occasion for educational broadening. Instead of pheasant hunting all the time, we devote one afternoon to tour the Anne Hathaway cottage in Wessington Springs, the closest town.

In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.

John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShakesGarden.jpg (23.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg operahouse.jpg (20.1 KB, 10 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

. . . then there are the Honky-tonks and Bordellos
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

And finally,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sdcard2.jpg (22.4 KB, 89 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Eastern Culture meets Mid-West "Big Rooster" Country?
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Eastern Culture meets Mid-West "Big Rooster" Country?

[QUOTE=Bruce Day;6737]In preparation for going north to go south, Dakota that is, we need to mention that we use the occasion for educational broadening. Instead of pheasant hunting all the time, we devote one afternoon to tour the Anne Hathaway cottage in Wessington Springs, the closest town.

In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.

John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.- I'm sure John D. appreciates the evenings' festivities- the Opera House sounds intriguing- sorry to have to ask, but who was Anne Hathaway?

As far as the billboard for the SD "Larger Roosters" sort of reminds me of the restaurant/bar in Ocean City MD (where one of my married sisters lives)- named after the famous "Foghorn Leghorn" Chicken--whose catch phrase "Aah say Boy, Aah say-dat weasel gonna getcha"!! I guess culture is where you find it- good luck with those "Big Roosters"--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #29
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
...In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.... John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.
Dear Mr. Tour Director and Epiphanous One....

Please know I do not do operas. Whilst my wife has wanted me to take her to an opera for years - I cringe at the thought of men jumping around in tights and I, too, cringe at thinking about women in tutu's screeching out songs in Italian... And yes, I do believe I do have culture. Fortunately for you - I believe it's contagious....

However - today - I did purchase a portable camera for recording this trip in the annals of PGCA history...

Yer' Buddy,

John
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
....sorry to have to ask, but who was Anne Hathaway?
I believe she played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island...?

Just a guess....

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post: