Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #41
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
The softening of the prices and the easing of number of rounds being shot can be explained by the results of the PGCA Survey. 70% of the folks are 60 or more years old
In my experience the people who shoot a lot are not necessarily always older, they were just smart enough to dollar cost average buying flats of shells over the past decade and are sitting on huge stock piles so they can weather these prices. I keep buying as I see flats become available (more on the shelves now than in a long time) and over time feel it will keep me shooting. My comfort level is a certain number of flats that I will not put into print, while I know guys who are sitting on PALLETS of shells and still buying aggressively. I think if you're waiting for $7 boxes of shells you should sell me your guns, but I am seeing $10 boxes all the time now. I do load RST hulls for my SxS but that is a very small percentage of what I shoot, opting to shoot regular 1200fps 2 3/4" in my VH guns. When a round of sporting and 100 shells costs $100 you're not getting many new shooters to enter the ranks. That's more than a round of golf around here, and I wouldn't pay $2 to golf.
Unread 12-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #42
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;378576] Recruitment is the answer, is it not?

As for recruitment, I see it at my club coming from the most implausible of places: competing clay shooting teams from Harvard, and Northeastern Universities, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From whence springs the interest with these metropolitan college students, I have no idea, but should find out.

It is true, nevertheless, that the old guns and old cars appeal mostly to the old guys.

Here is a photo of one of my former shipmates from the petroleum transport industry, not a gun “collector" and has not hunted in many years, but retains a few firearms, including a Belgian hammer gun.

He worked full-time as a merchant mariner into his mid-70s, and now as a widowed 79-year-old retiree, visited us here in Massachusetts a few weeks ago, after leaving his home in Alabama on a one-month-long, 16-state, 5,500 mile single-handed, auto trip in a rented vehicle (not his 1937 Business Coupe that you see here).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan.j.and.1937.bus.coupe.edit..jpg (374.3 KB, 6 views)
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #43
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

What a machine. General Motors product?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #44
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Russell, we had, of all things, a team of bunker shooters from a small upstate NY college approach our club to ask if they could train there. So hopefully we'll have a dozen college kids shooting bunker this summer who we didn't even know existed. Then we found out they compete against other college teams across the NE. You're correct, we should find out who these kids are. One other kid comes up with his dad, I don't think he even drives yet, and he shoots 22-23-24 all the time, and if you haven't shot bunker you realize at his young age he's something special. We need to grow that.
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #45
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
What a machine. General Motors product?
Yes. Chevrolet.
Unread 12-28-2022, 07:39 PM   #46
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

I have a 1938 chevy business coupe its a street rod...327...350 horse...400 turbo tranny...pinto station wagon front end with disc hrakes...1955 chevy rear end with drum brakes....black in color....your 1937 is a beauty....I like old guns too....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2022, 11:31 PM   #47
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
I have a 1938 chevy business coupe its a street rod...327...350 horse...400 turbo tranny...pinto station wagon front end with disc hrakes...1955 chevy rear end with drum brakes....black in color....your 1937 is a beauty....I like old guns too....charlie
How about pictures, Charlie: Your 1938 Business Coupe, with you standing in front of it, holding one of your old side-by-sides?
Unread 12-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #48
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

There’s a picture I’d like to see Charlie.
If you have trouble posting the picture I can help.
Your good wife sent me pictures back when we did that article when you went out west to hunt with that nembed in Kansas I think it was.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: