Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
That's where the $$ is too. If you have a very good day you can fill your pockets.
Mike: I dont know about that.... one of the first columbaire shoot I went to there was more, and I mean a lot of money, changing hands on the sidelines then there was on the ring. It was like a back ally crap game.... where there was more betting off the table then on.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #42
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Mike: I dont know about that.... one of the first columbaire shoot I went to there was more, and I mean a lot of money, changing hands on the sidelines then there was on the ring. It was like a back ally crap game.... where there was more betting off the table then on.
A good day for Calcutta buyers is lucrative too!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 08-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #43
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dreisch View Post
20 ga. #9 shot was all we used for Eastern Shore wild quail (bobwhite) over pointing dogs back in the 80's. I never noticed excessive shot in the birds.
I grew up shooting grouse with 9 shot and rarely had a bird that had too much shot in it. It just didn't happen that often. Maybe one or two birds a season and I was shooting between 70 to 80 birds a year back in the day. I pulled a tail feather from each bird and tallied at the end of the season.

The market hunter who introduced my grandfather to grouse used #10 shot out of an old sawed off colt double before market hunting became illegal. He shot for the New York city market. His birds wouldn't have been accepted if they had a lot of shot.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #44
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Okay, I'll be the black sheep. I don't like it for anything except clay birds at 25 yards or less.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums...698#Post600698

As can be read in the link I posted above I use 8s and 7 1/2s on quail. My hunting buddy uses 9s. Every instance I can remember of biting into a pellet in a quail breast is a 9. This is anecdotal, but is based on years of quail shooting. Anyone who understands basic physics should be able to understand that a 9 is much less likely to pass through a quail breast than an 8, or a 7 1/2, all else being equal.

SRH
I don't know about that Stan. A lot of my grouse had #9 shot that passed all the way through the breast and stopped in the skin on the far side. I found it very common. I used to cut the skin to take the pellet out.
Unread 08-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #45
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I am friends with a former GA State Ladies Skeet Champion, several times over. First time she and her husband tried sporting she shot something in the neighborhood of a 37/100. Her husband shot even less. He stomped away muttering that there were targets out there that could not be possibly broken with a shotgun. My buddy had just shot a 96 on the same course. They were badly embarrassed.

I've shot two 100 straights in my life, at sporting, numerous 99s and 98s. A young man just shot a 100/100 at Super Sporting at the "Turkey Shoot", at The Meadows in Forsyth, GA last weekend. He also shot a 50/50 on the competition 5 stand. This wasn't a charity shoot, but real tournament quality targets.

There's a big difference in learning the lead on hundreds of presentations, and being able to put it there, and in memorizing it on a handful that are not over 21 yards. I've shot enough skeet and trap to appreciate the mental focus that is necessary to run long straights. It's not for me, it's boring, but at least I recognize them as legitimate clay target games.

I shoot sporting clays and don't find it boring. My only complaint is that a lot of sporting clay shots don't mimic field hunting. There are sometimes a lot of dropping birds that are implausable in the field unless you are shooting ducks over decoys. Also, all the sporting clays shooters I have seen shoot from a gun brought to the shoulder before the pull. Not good practice for field shooting.

I shoot low gun and generally take a 12 bore DHE for the longer shots and a 20 bore PHE for the shorter shots. Sometimes my small gun is a 28 bore Holland. I've been using the 28 bore for low gun trap shooting using the left full choke barrel. I'm the only one I have ever seen shooting trap low gun with a 28 bore. I'm always in the 20's with that gun shooting low gun. It is a real kick for me and gets people's attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #46
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I shoot sporting clays and don't find it boring. My only complaint is that a lot of sporting clay shots don't mimic field hunting. There are sometimes a lot of dropping birds that are implausable in the field unless you are shooting ducks over decoys. Also, all the sporting clays shooters I have seen shoot from a gun brought to the shoulder before the pull. Not good practice for field shooting.

I shoot low gun and generally take a 12 bore DHE for the longer shots and a 20 bore PHE for the shorter shots. Sometimes my small gun is a 28 bore Holland. I've been using the 28 bore for low gun trap shooting using the left full choke barrel. I'm the only one I have ever seen shooting trap low gun with a 28 bore. I'm always in the 20's with that gun shooting low gun. It is a real kick for me and gets people's attention.
I have voiced the same complaint about SC and 5 stand at the clubs i belong to and visit. It was brought to my attention that the majority of shooters in my area do not hunt and these targets are "normal to them. I took over the 5 stand at one club and did away with loopers and falling targets to only realistic presentations and had a number of hunters take it back up. We hunters need to realize that we will soon be in the minority in some sections of the country.

I invented another game to mimic upland birds and it is shot low gun with the puller deciding when to throw it and which trap to throw, same with the 5 stand some days you have to have all 8 traps in vision and then be able to focus and shoot.
There are no straights as yet in 5 stand and only 3 in 10 years in the other.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

I have always shot low gun at Skeet, SC and 5-stand... and sometimes at 16 yard trap.
I don't shoot these games competitively but just as practice for actual hunting situations, both realistic and "in your dreams" hard and easy shots.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #48
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post

Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but I don't find sporting clays boring either, Tom. I meant that I find skeet and trap boring. I would hasten to say that I do not look down on anyone who enjoys trap and skeet, much less excels at them. We're just not all wired alike, and I've likely got a bunch of short circuits.

I may not have worded that previous post properly. The only thing I find a bit boring about sporting clays is having to shoot 5 pairs on a station, on some courses. That's a little much for me. Four is aplenty, but I understand range owners trying to save money on traps. They're very expensive.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #49
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but I don't find sporting clays boring either, Tom. I meant that I find skeet and trap boring. I would hasten to say that I do not look down on anyone who enjoys trap and skeet, much less excels at them. We're just not all wired alike, and I've likely got a bunch of short circuits.

I may not have worded that previous post properly. The only thing I find a bit boring about sporting clays is having to shoot 5 pairs on a station, on some courses. That's a little much for me. Four is aplenty, but I understand range owners trying to save money on traps. They're very expensive.
Stan: I think we can all agree that practice on clays whether sporting, trap or skeet is worth doing. I am about like you and some others here, I shoot clays of any form for different kinds of practice. Some games I just cant get my brain wrapped around while others challenge me. Shooting more then 3-4 pairs on a sporting course station is not ok for my ADD, A type personality. I can not stay focused that long. Thats why I like FITASC, old style or new.

JMHO
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote