Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #21
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pt-Sika
the REAL clay target games (skeet and trap)
Huh? As opposed to what ............. sporting clays, or FITASC?
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,473 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
... the REAL clay target games (skeet and trap) ...
I didn’t know people felt this way. Sporting clays is not a “real” clay target game? Come on? This comment is ridiculous.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #23
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Huh? As opposed to what ............. sporting clays, or FITASC?
AFter shooting skeet/trap for many years any of that other stuff is an excercise in futility , Or atleast to my way of thinking . I knew back then if I could keep my head on straight I could and would run some 100 straights , in these futility games that isn't so much the case .

Most folks that are enamored with sporting claim they like it because of the lack of oerfect scores or possibilities of them over the course of a weekend or year . I shot the other stuff long enough that I like things that perfection is more common .
Unread 08-19-2021, 02:59 AM   #24
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
I didn’t know people felt this way. Sporting clays is not a “real” clay target game? Come on? This comment is ridiculous.

-Victor
You know what you can think me ridiculouse all you like . But I stick by what I said .

And quite frankly if you disagree thats your right and I will not loose sleep over it .

Come on, my ass
Unread 08-19-2021, 06:07 AM   #25
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am friends with a former GA State Ladies Skeet Champion, several times over. First time she and her husband tried sporting she shot something in the neighborhood of a 37/100. Her husband shot even less. He stomped away muttering that there were targets out there that could not be possibly broken with a shotgun. My buddy had just shot a 96 on the same course. They were badly embarrassed.

I've shot two 100 straights in my life, at sporting, numerous 99s and 98s. A young man just shot a 100/100 at Super Sporting at the "Turkey Shoot", at The Meadows in Forsyth, GA last weekend. He also shot a 50/50 on the competition 5 stand. This wasn't a charity shoot, but real tournament quality targets.

There's a big difference in learning the lead on hundreds of presentations, and being able to put it there, and in memorizing it on a handful that are not over 21 yards. I've shot enough skeet and trap to appreciate the mental focus that is necessary to run long straights. It's not for me, it's boring, but at least I recognize them as legitimate clay target games.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
There may be another reason you don't care for sporting. That is that you can't break enough targets to get over being embarrassed. I am friends with a former GA State Ladies Skeet Champion, several times over. First time she and her husband tried sporting she shot something in the neighborhood of a 37/100. Her husband shot even less. He stomped away muttering that there were targets out there that could not be possibly broken with a shotgun. My buddy had just shot a 96 on the same course. They were badly embarrassed, too.

I've shot two 100 straights in my life, at sporting, numerous 99s and 98s. A young man just shot a 100/100 at Super Sporting at the "Turkey Shoot", at The Meadows in Forsyth, GA last weekend. He also shot a 50/50 on the competition 5 stand. This wasn't a charity shoot, but real tournament quality targets.

There's a big difference in learning the lead on hundreds of presentations, and being able to put it there, and in memorizing it on a handful that are not over 21 yards. I've shot enough skeet and trap to appreciate the mental focus that is necessary to run long straights. It's not for me, it's boring, but at least I recognize them as legitimate clay target games. Maybe you would be better served by trying to be a bit less abrasive and offensive, and more open-minded.

You don't want people "coming on your ass"? Don't make abrasive comments like that.
Lead is a moot point to me I've shoot swing thru on everything over the years be it skeet trap sporting birds or 5 stand . I do well enough where I'm not embarresed .
Unread 08-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #27
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

We can agree to disagree on this, Craig. At the suggestion of a friend I had edited my original post, that you quoted, to be a bit more gentlemanly and less abrasive myself, but you copied it before I got a chance. Anyway, thanks for responding to my original post in a gentlemanly way.

Have a great day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Who really gives a rats ass? We're all SHOOTING and that's all that matters
Unread 08-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #29
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
We can agree to disagree on this, Craig. At the suggestion of a friend I had edited my original post, that you quoted, to be a bit more gentlemanly and less abrasive myself, but you copied it before I got a chance. Anyway, thanks for responding to my original post in a gentlemanly way.

Have a great day!
Good day to you as well ! I kinda feel at this age and in today’s society if we’re upright and breathing we’ve won the game regardless of ones preference in clay target games No problem , we can have a glass of iced tea or a soft drink and discuss it further in Georgetown or we can talk about hunting tales from way back . Anyway if you make it there I’d still like to make your acquaintance!
Unread 08-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

Everyone knows that real targets are box birds ;-)
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post: