Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #41
Kirk Allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
Almost wish you had not shared that. If it were my grandfathers gun it would be priceless to me - no amount of money would induce me to sell it. Keep it, enjoy it and when the time comes pass it along to the next generation.
"IF" it was my grandfathers I would not have sold it. The info came from the grandson of the owner. He was present at the estate sale.
Kirk Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #42
Kirk Allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lander View Post
Kirk: I have removed the SN from my post per your request. I was merely trying to give you the information that you asked for. All the info posted here, especially that from Mr. Day, should be helpful to you in establishing value for your gun. While not extremely rare it is an interesting old waterfowler and could, probably, tell quite a story if it could talk. Part of that story will be in the PGCA letter when you receive it.

As for Mr. Huffman: "Opinions are like a......s, everybody seems to have one."

Just My Humble Opinion, George
Thanks! I appreciate that. When I get the letter back I will let everyone know where were at.
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #43
Kirk Allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jent P Mitchell III View Post
Hello Kirk Allen, How did you decide that this PARKER (sn 8360X) side-by-side was a 10 gauge ???? A "G" grade Parker built on a number 3 frame with 6 pound barrel and fore end assembly weight would be a 12 gauge Parker SXS in MOST all cases. If you have a "G" grade Parker built on a number 3 frame, as the posted pictures depict, and it is a 10 gauge Parker SXS then you do have a "rare" Parker because it is mismarked !!! I am pretty sure that your Parker side-by-side that is depicted in the pictures at the beginning of this thread is a 12 gauge Parker. BUT you said/posted that the bores were .774 inches ???? Where EXACTLY did you take this measurement ??? Please give me a phone call and I will try to help you more firmly identify your Parker. A 12 gauge Parker built on a number 3 frame is usually worth more that any 10 gauge grade 2 gun built on a number 3 frame. 12 gauge Parkers built on number 3 frames were the original BO WHOOPPPS !

Good Shooting To You, Jent Mitchell --- cell ph # 703-855-1110

jentpmitchell@msn.com
Jent, the breech rim measures .856 and the outer rim is .930 and the bore at the out end of the barrel measures .774

Barrel length is 32"
Barrel and forend weight is 5.5 lbs on a UPS scale but it only measures in 1/2lb increments so it may be close to 6lbs and just not enough to trip the 1/2lb increment to the next 1/2lb up. I would assume that a 12 gauge would weigh a little more than the 10 gauge, assuming the OD measurement of the barrels were the same?
Total gun weight is 9.5lbs

Going by the Frame size listed on the Technical info page [URL="http://www.parkerguns.org/"] it reflects a frame #3 as a 10 gauge.

I dont recall the guys name that looked at it in Oregan for me but he did state that this particular Parker was very rare and it was based on that that I went ahead and purchased it.
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #44
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

Jent and Kirk, grade 2 hammerless Parker ten gauges are marked E, EH, G, GH depending on the order of the day. I would assume the ones marked G or GH were stamped before the size of the barrels to be installed was determined. Six pound ten gauge barrels are not unusual.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #45
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

Kirk, the frame size chart on the Technical Information page has been updated since it was printed in The Parker Story. Omissions include combinations of frame sizes and gauges found since then. They include 1/2 frame gun with 20 gauge barrels, 000 frame gun with 28 gauge barrels, 2 frame guns with 20 gauge barrels, 3 frame guns with 12 and 20 gauge barrels, and a 6 frame gun with 12 gauge barrels. Other unlisted combinations probably also exist. Your advisor in Oregon is not in touch with the Parker market. A Grade 2 ten gauge is not rare, nor are they particularly valuable unless in very high condition.

Last edited by Bill Murphy; 04-08-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Dam 2, 10 gauge
Unread 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #46
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Dam 2, 10 gauge

As Bill said, Dam2 ten gauge guns are not scarce. P2 ( Parker Special steel) ten gauge guns are relatively rare; about 10 listed in Serialization

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yesterday, again the noon stage brought one of my favorite publications, The DGJ.

I was too busy last night (FG don't you know) to do any reading so I put off any picture viewing and reading until after lunch today. Ergo I finished reading Austin's Boo Whoop article and what an article it is!

The article is so well writen that even a dummy like me understood the words and also comprehended the pictures of his skillfully crafted tools of examination. I had a flashback to when I read EDM's manuscript on Flying Shooting or is it Shooting Flying as one must eliminate mind and eye wandering like over to the checkered butt stock picture or you will miss something of importance. I think I can also see the results of your association with a certain PHD of strobe and photography from MIT, Emerson?

Austin, it is a real pleasure to have you as a member of PGCA and to have made your accquaintence.

Roger Coger
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote