Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Problem loading 10 gauge in my Scott
Unread 04-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
Jonathan Larson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Problem loading 10 gauge in my Scott

I just got all my loading supplies together for the 10 ga W&C Scott. The hulls are brand new Remingtons. The gun won't close by about 1/8th inch. The hulls are shorter then the chamber based on my gauge and they slip in and out of the chambers freely. I checked the firing pins and the primers are flush. I was thinking that it perhaps could be that the rims were too thick, so I sacrificed a hull and sanded the head down a little... no help. Any ideas guys? I've not had this issue with my 12's
Jonathan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

It sounds like the brass needs resizing. My MEC has the collet resizer. What are you loading on? Also, my Scott has “sticky” chambers, for lack of a better word. Try another hull brand.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

The rims on Remington hulls are larger than federal. Check the rim dimension of the Scott compared to the hull rim dimension.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Check other shells for fit as suggested. I have a Scottish hammer gun that just didn't have enough head space to accommodate any shells I tried. I had Brad Bachelder increase the head space...and have lived happily ever after since. This was an old gun, BTW. I would guess your Scott has a year or two on it also. The shells of the time fit no doubt.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Try putting a shell in backwards to see if the rim recesses are too small. That seems a not too uncommon issue. If a rim won't nest into the recess you'll have to either ream the recesses or maybe try different hulls as someone else suggested. I have a DH12 that sticks like hell using AA hulls, which are universally out of round, but loves the green Remington STS hulls or any old paper hulls, which are all nice and round and never jam it shut.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

are you cutting new hulls to proper chamber length of your gun..just a thought ...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have had a similar problem in a German 16 and a Lindner Daly 10g. I solved both by adjusting the sizing ring on one and the sizing collet on the other. they were just too big for the tight chambers and would not go all the way in. If I got it in, then opening the gun was very difficult and had to force the hulls out from the muzzle.
Milt Fitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Larson View Post
I just got all my loading supplies together for the 10 ga W&C Scott. The hulls are brand new Remingtons. The gun won't close by about 1/8th inch. The hulls are shorter then the chamber based on my gauge and they slip in and out of the chambers freely. I checked the firing pins and the primers are flush. I was thinking that it perhaps could be that the rims were too thick, so I sacrificed a hull and sanded the head down a little... no help. Any ideas guys? I've not had this issue with my 12's
Today's Remington 10 ga hulls have steel heads (unlike Federal 10ga hulls that use brass). The steel heads may have some memory and expand a little after resizing. If you can adjust your resizer to squeeze the head even smaller I would try that. If you are using a MEC reloader with a collet resizing ring replace it, the wear over time. Federal hulls with their brass heads give the least amount of trouble in guns with tight chambers but I understand they can be hard to find.
Unread 04-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,436 Times in 796 Posts

I have a buddy of mine that had a W C Scott, his problem was head space.
good luck they are a nice gun.
Unread 04-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

I’ve been having kinda similar issues with my loads in some guns and a lot of times it depends on what I was loading be it bird shot or Buckshot or slugs . I’m kinda thinking about getting a Sizemaster 10 gauge and parting ways with my 600JR although I could just buy a MEC Supersizer but that adds another step .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote