Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Hunting with hammers
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,344 Times in 371 Posts

Default Hunting with hammers

Now don't get me wrong. I think hammer guns are the most beautiful double gun creations ever made and I would love to own one. But in the back of my mind is the feeling that I wouldn't be satisfied hunting with one. I'm too spoiled with the speed, quickness and safety of a hammerless. But I know a lot of you guys regularly hunt with your hammers and some even prefer them. How have you adapted your hunting style to these guns?
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

It does take a bit of learning but is pretty easy with some practice. With no driven shooting which an be fast and furious their is plenty of time to cock on the rise, same as slipping off the safety. I cock the hammer of choice on the mount and drop the butt to cock the other if needed and remount. A problem on the mount can be corrected in the few seconds it takes to cock and remount. Many times with a hammerless trying to connect with the 2'nd barrel and a poor mount results on a miss anyway. Unlike a hammerless gun it is only cocked when presented to fire a shot. Going through heavy cover I move my hand up behind the hammer's to be sure the hammers do not get cocked inadvertently on brush. They take a bit of a mental shift but pose no problems with practice. It is important to have a precise fit between the bent and sear for a safe pull. Clean but not too light. I have never had a hammer slip off from recoil. Just do not get sloppy hooking the hammer. Use a good portion of your thumb to hook it securely and hammer guns can be really great hunting arms.
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

All makes sense and sounds like it takes practice. Very cool. Thanks for sharing your techniques Eric.
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

i enjoy them -

i enjoy using them over pointing dogs - you generally have a little warning - but i can get the shots off quickly when flushes are the rule

i have a large enough hand to cock both hammers at once on the upland lighter framed gun -i approach the point with the end of my thumb on the front of left hammer spur and covering the right with the base - i can easily bring the gun to cock as i raise it - i open the gun to lower a hammer of any unfired barrel

Unread 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice tip Rick. Another reason to like O frames. Thanks
Unread 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I have told of my method in past posts...

When I'm in the woods or field hunting my tubes are charged, my hammers are both cocked and my action is open. When I walk in on a point, or in the case of no dog, enter the cover, the action is then closed and my trigger hand cupped over the triggers and guard so no errant branch or twig can trip a trigger, and muzzles held skyward. When not in the cover my gun is always open and I can let the hammers down with no danger of a discharge if a hammer slips from my thumb.

A lifter is ideal for this method but a top-action works just as well as long as the action can be opened with the right hammer remaining cocked - not all top-action hammer guns can be opened with the right hammer cocked.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

I would suggest getting used to your hammer gun on the clays course before hunting

my first hunting gun as a kid was a single barrel 20ga hammer gun-

i started hunting hammer doubles in the early 90's after picking up a nice light London hammer gun

Unread 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Dean
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

I love to hunt with my 20 J. Manton hammer gun. I usually use hammer guns only when I am by myself--except for the dogs, carrying the gun as Dean suggests. I do close the action as soon as the dogs start getting birdy.
Unread 01-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I love shooting clay targets with a hammer gun but I wasn't comfortable using my 16ga lifter in the grouse coverts. I have used one while quail hunting and will take a 28ga with me in a couple of weeks.