Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 11-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Thanks guys I received my 3rd opionion today. Nothing sounds like a great option. I appreciate the feedback.
Phillip Carr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I had a GSP that this happened to probably close to 20 years ago. Surgery was $2K then. He recovered but didn't hunt again as his knee just couldn't take it The vet told me he would probably never hunt again but the option of doing nothing would probably lead to problems with the good leg as he would favor that one.
Unread 11-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Phil
I just went through it with my best buddy. He tore it last spring. We tried the conservative approach without results. In July we went the surgery route, He recovered well and was hunting again by october. He tired easily but was able to keep up. I thought we were over it and took him in for a check up. The Dr. said that he had an ear infection and treated him. A week later he was totally deaf. he works off verbal as well as hand commands. We tried a preserve hunt but it was disasterous, he got lost in the tall grass and ended up at the start of the field. Needless to say his ten year career is over. I was told that the medicine c aused deafness in some cases. I was not told that before they administered it. Good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
David Fishley
On Vacation

Member Info

Brad,
I would be very interested to know what medicine you think caused the deafness.

Thanks.
David Fishley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
PGCA Member

Member Info

David

Iwill find out the name of the med and post it.

Brad
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Thanks guys for the information. It's good to have a place where you can discuss things and get honest feedback from others experiences.

Well I had a conversation with Missy today, told her it looked like she was moving into the house and her hunting days were probably over, she seemed to take the news better than I did giving it.
That conversation behind us I bought her a new bed and moved it to my den. Missy's accepting the new arrangements quit well.
She has been my go to dog for some time, always that dog that could be counted on to be put back on the ground at the end of a day an help you finish out a limit.
It's now time for Scout the pup I wrote about last year in the Parker pages to step up. He's ready.
One quick story in her honor. Chris Dawe joined me last year for a week of chasing birds. We had hunted all three dogs earlier in the day and dispite our opportunities had not, let's say we had not done as well as we should have.
Putting Missy and her litter mate Bell, back on the ground they struck out and shortly the dogs were into the birds and the game started The dogs split up and were several hundred yards apart when suddenly they both went on point. Moving towards Bell I informed Chris that Missy was on point over 200 + yards away. Moving into position to shoot, I told Chris we would flush this covey and then move on to Missy.
When the action was over a couple of birds were added to the bag.
Then off to find Missy.
By the time we got to Missy, 25 minutes had passed and the excitement of birds flushing, Double guns going off and the excitement of Chris and I excitedly talking about what had taken place.
Topping a small hill there stood Missy staunch on point, head and tail up and like a statue still holding the birds. Chis and I moved forward and a dozen Mearns quail flushed with the turrrrrrrrr of multiple wings and the distinctive peeping sound you hear when a Mearns covey busts at your feet in cover you have searched and swore held no birds ans that birds had long moved on from.
Not only does this jump start your heart, but without words sums up in in a micro second why we hunt.
Both Chris and I snapped the 20 gauges to our shoulders and like it was a made for movie footage, dropped two birds.
At the report Missy moved forward with Chris and I laughing and encouragements to fetch um-up. Missy darted forward 20 yards and picked up one of the birds then switched directions dropping the bird she held in her mouth on top of the other downed bird.
Without hesitation she scooped both of them up and delivered them to my hand. I was in awe with her performance and can not discribe how proud I was to have a true friend and hunting partner witness such a performance .
No need to brag on Missy, no words are needed. Missy did what she was bred to do no training needed what she did was using a intelligence that you can not train.
She was ONE with these hunters that day.
The sun was almost down when Chris And I crossed the last little trickling creek were the dogs drank from the cool water.
Chris and I had both managed as I recall, a limit of birds,. No two hunters and three dogs had ever experienced a more satisfying day in the field.

I have struggled for days on what to do. I think I know now. I was going to ask, but I think after writing this I know the answer.
If I am fortunate to life a long life and yet can no longer can go to the field. What would I rather have, a fine shotgun in the safe, $10,000 in the bank that it might bring (as long as my family is provided for), or memories of hunting a couple more seasons over Missy with good friends?
I can not foresee the future but my guess is the memories.
Phillip Carr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #17
David Fishley
On Vacation

Member Info

And that my good man is the right choice. No inanimate object including money can take the place of a life well loved.
David Fishley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Fishley For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #18
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Her bed will be fine in my room....I remember that day vividly ,and every other one I spent with you last year ,Missy is a great dog and there's no exaggeration in Phils story , other than I did indeed shoot a limit only to loose one out of my vest ,if I had to pick one- that day as I recall was one of the finest day's bird hunting I ever experienced,with Missy and Belle pointing covey after covey over an impossible ridge ,I shot poorly out of sheer excitement and disbelief of country ,dogs and birds .... I feel pretty lucky I got to hunt over her last Fall....and in just a little better than a week Ill be walking up birds over Scout and Belle once again,and coming back in the evening to drink a cold beer and tell Missy all about how much better she would have done it !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (3) - Copy.jpg (514.5 KB, 6 views)
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That is a nice looking dog. Hope she gets well enough to go a little sometime. Brad, i fell for you aswell that is sad. I need to get a pup behind Sam, this is a reminder. Got to love our dogs for sure. ch
Unread 11-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #20
PGCA Member

Member Info

Imentioned a brand of eardrops that caused Max to go deaf. the brand name is Otomax

Brad
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post: