Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jeff; that is smart, using the spreader wads on the 28" barrels. That way, you don't have to "mess" with the chokes. I am not that smart, & opened mine up. (I don't regret it, but was just too dumb to think of spreaders.) The handling, to me, with the 2" longer barrels is simply better. My gun is 28" straight stock, beavertail, double triggers.
since I shoot the bigger Parkers & doubles, the double triggers are almost second nature to me. (The other night, I shot low-gun with it, and on station #1, I just couldn't get the front trigger to shoot twice! BUT, I finally remembered and broke the target, Ha ha!)
For some reason, a longer LOP seems to be better on this gun, but don't ask me why.
Sam Ogle
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beartooth makes a slip on pad that you can add length or not...it defeats
the slippery feel some complain about. ..I also had the 28 in barells
choked skeet and improved ..got a 24 the first round and in a few trips
got a straight. ...also have a set of .410 CSMC 28 in barells and they shoot well at skeet. Since I use the gun a lot shooting g skeet , I got from a friend
a beavertail wood forend and mounted it on the splinter iron and don't get
burned fingers shooting skeet. It is one of my favorite skeet guns, but it is not
a target gun for the dedicated skeet shooter, but truly a fun gun.
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Dugan For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #13
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

I don't get it. Anyone with a .40 choke in a 28 ga. says it's too tight. Most of those folks want to shóot those guns, not put them in their 401(k). Open them up! If I was in the market, I'd pay a premium for an opened gun
Unread 07-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
I don't get it. Anyone with a .40 choke in a 28 ga. says it's too tight. Most of those folks want to shóot those guns, not put them in their 401(k). Open them up! If I was in the market, I'd pay a premium for an opened gun
I'm sure you meant .040 and not 40/100ths.

IMHO, it's this sort of phylosophy that has made 100% original Parker Bros. guns so cherished and desirable and as a result so valuable. The same will happen with Parker Repros--mark my words! Yeah, I know you say you're not going to worry about it because you'll be dead. How do you know that you stop worrying when you're dead? I happen to have it on good authority that we indeed still worry after we're gone. It will drive you nuts, you will toss and turn and pound the inside of your coffin as your transgressions of opening those luscious wonderful chokes haunt you into eternity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #15
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
I'm sure you meant .040 and not 40/100ths.

IMHO, it's this sort of phylosophy that has made 100% original Parker Bros. guns so cherished and desirable and as a result so valuable. The same will happen with Parker Repros--mark my words! Yeah, I know you say you're not going to worry about it because you'll be dead. How do you know that you stop worrying when you're dead? I happen to have it on good authority that we indeed still worry after we're gone. It will drive you nuts, you will toss and turn and pound the inside of your coffin as your transgressions of opening those luscious wonderful chokes haunt you into eternity.

Dang... I'm glad I didn't open those barrels up. I already have enough things that will spin me in my grave!

Sam: Maybe a smart idea but I can't claim it as mine; someone advised me to try the spreaders before opening the chokes. The Polywads work so well for me that I don't want to mess with choke mods. In the long run it is certainly cheaper to ream the chokes but if only used for hunting a flat of shells lasts quite a while.
Jeff O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

Greg - You're obviously right about those little thousands - I lost a zero somehow.
I guess I just don't have a good appreciation for history, but for the life of me, I don't understand preserving a choke boring which doesn't work. I think Repro's are nice for what they are - a Japanese copy, but I have serious reservations that they will appreciate anywhere like the real deal. As an old (and I mean Old) car product planner, I have an appreciation for Japanese stuff - after all, they have taken a huge share of our domestic market, but it's hard to name a Jap car which has reached the icon class like Camaros or Mustangs. I put Repro's in the same category
Unread 07-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #17
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

I have it on good authority that the Pope shoots a Parker Repro.
He's struggled with the same dilemma that many of you do, wishing that the chokes on his 28 were more open.
The Pope was however vehement that the chokes were somehow sacred and should not be touched by the hand of Man.

He pondered, prayed, and in general asked "The Big Guy" if he would not intervene and guide him through this conundrum.
His Holiness awoke one morning and indeed found that the chokes on his 28 were more open than when he had shot his gun the last time.

Ask anyone in the Vatican, whenever one speaks of the Pope and his favorite
Parker Repro, they talk of the Parker with the "Immaculate Constriction".
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #18
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rudolf,
Take everything these folks have said to the bank. We are all on the same page (with the exception of not opening chokes).
It might be wise to know what stock dimensions fit you best. Buy that damned 28 and don't forget to thank each of us. You will not be disappointed.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was reading Kevin's post and had a good chuckle. It reflected some my experiences. I found my 28 ga, 28", straight grip, SST, 1 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 14 1/4", 5lb 10oz, splinter forend gun at Jaqua's. It shot too high, has the too tight M/F chokes, swings like a broomstick, and kicks like a pissed off girlfriend with spiked high heels.

I bent the stock down to get it where I could hit reliably with it. I did hunt the 28ga on pen raised pheasant and chukar as well as some wild birds. I used #6 on chukar and #5 on wild pheasant. It'll swat a rooster hard at longer distances than most care to shoot. It's lighter at the muzzle than is ideal for me, but it will do its job if I do mine.

I bought the gun solely for the purpose of putting Galazan 410 barrels on it. I did get the barrels and had them fitted. It made a nice handling 410, that's a pleasure to shoot.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
Billy Gross
PGCA Member

Member Info

My first comment is that I love my 28 Ga Parker Repro - it shoots great and feels great. My second comment is that you have to get the configuration that works for you. My first endeavor with a 28 Ga SxS was an AYA#2 with a straight stock and double triggers. As a mostly O/U skeet and trap shooter, I couldn't get used to the stock and triggers. So, I sold that and bought a 28 Ga Parker Repro with 28" barrels, single trigger, pistol grip, and BTFE. I also picked up an extra set of 28" barrels and had both of them opened up to .003. Now that is my gun and I don't ever intend to part with it. My first round of low gun skeet was a 24, and I missed low 7 because I wasn't paying attention. My final comment is that the combination of the BTFE and 28" barrels eliminates the "whippyness". Billy
Billy Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Gross For Your Post: