Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,904 Times in 4,771 Posts

He is the customer hundreds of internet sellers have been waiting for. I hope there is some misrepresentation in the ad that will allow the buyer to recover. Obviously, he is not a reader of this forum.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,255 Times in 902 Posts

I think if I remember correctly, the gun was sold as is with no refund or exchange.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,258 Posts

Not surprising, is it, and it suggests the seller might have known more about this gun's condition than he was willing to declare in the posting
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,647 Times in 4,630 Posts

Well I believe the ad lists a very low number of PHEs being made, this making it super rare or something. The number did not sound rich to me.

I was at a local gun auction a few weeks ago and I swear people were loosing their minds based on what the prices were. I told myself that next time there was a Saturday auction, I might consign a few guns. I am talking some guns selling for double what they were worth, or that you could buy almost anywhere.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,258 Posts

In 1974, while working at Oswego College in upstate NY, I went to the Rochester Gun Show and took along with me an original (wish I had it now) Sharps Creedmoor 50 cal. rifle in excellent all origional condition. Needless to say the Sharps sold within a very short time for $1K cash. So, I'm walking around the show with a wad of cash in my pocket and I spy a nice clearly refinished 12 ga Parker VH for $400. It looked so good I bought it from the guy who said absolutely nothing to me. I get home and I'm looking at the barrels and see a faint line about 3-4 inches forward of the breech. I take it to my local gunsmith in the Oswego area and show it to him and he says "it's been sleeved Allen" and then explains what this means. Buyer beware. While I felt a bit ripped off, I also felt guilty that I didn't look it over more closely and ask the guy what those fine lines meant, so it was my fault too. I learned a good lesson and eventually traded the gun for something else. The buyer knew the gun was sleeved and had no issue with it in the deal.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Well I believe the ad lists a very low number of PHEs being made, this making it super rare or something. The number did not sound rich to me.

I was at a local gun auction a few weeks ago and I swear people were loosing their minds based on what the prices were. I told myself that next time there was a Saturday auction, I might consign a few guns. I am talking some guns selling for double what they were worth, or that you could buy almost anywhere.
Went to an auction a few years ago where a fellow paid about $1,600 for a decent extractor SW with about 25% case color. Gun was a 12 gauge and overpriced by at least 30 percent or more. Saw the fellow later and he actually asked me if I thought he got a good deal. I told him if he was happy with the gun he should be happy with he paid. Some folks just don't know what the real market is. He was paying 20 gauge money for a 12 gauge gun.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,904 Times in 4,771 Posts

Brian, the price would not have been "rich" if the gun were a 20 gauge PHE as advertised. However, it was not.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,647 Times in 4,630 Posts

I more just mean people paying more than something is worth, real or not. I just wonder what happened here. With that many bidders, I would think that a few knew something about Parkers. And if most were newbies with money wanting a Parker, then there are others out there for less that are better guns. Who knows...
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

some times a bidder will get into his head im gonna own that gun or car or whatever and dont care care if they pay way over whatsit is worth...i ve done this myself a few times have nt yall... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't think they guy got a great deal but I also don't think he could have bought a proper PHE 20 for that money, either. As it is, he is shooting a 20 ga Parker (of sorts) for $2G or so which is better than a lot of other things I can think of.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote