Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

10 gauge clays load
Unread 01-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 gauge clays load

Im wanting to load 1 1/8 oz. Hull options are cheds beacause theyre readily available, Remington olive drabs, or already cut 2 7/8 federals after I shoot RSTs factory loaded shell. Ive seen alot of info in the short 10 spread sheets and saw a load of 19 gr. of red dot for 1 1/8 oz someone was talking about. The easiest rout for me would be cheddite 3.5" hulls and PT1044 wads or sp10 wads (pt1044 wads seem to be for light loads but I have no idea which would be better) from BPI. I have a mec press so ill be fold crimping. Now my question is if I went the easy route, would the 19 grs of red dot, pt1044 wad filled with 1 1/8 oz of lead (and poasibly/probably filler wad or something to get crimp) be an acceptable starting point?
Ryan Keirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Ryan, 1 1/8 ounce load out of a 10ga is a great load for both clays and some game. Whatever published data for loading the 2 7/8" 10ga that I could find is in the short 10 spread sheet that is on this site. Your desired combination of Cheddite hull, Ballistic Products wad, and Red Dot is an unpublished load meaning there is no available data for pressure and velocity. Same is true when using a Federal hull. What I can tell you is the combination of Federal hull (2 7/8), SP10 wad, 1/2" filler wad, 1 1/8 shot and 19 grains of Red Dot shoots very well, it's pleasant to shoot and works great. I don't believe 19 grains of Red Dot and 1 1/8 ounce of lead in any combination would stress or ever hurt a 10ga. Just understand it's a wildcat load, but take some comfort that others here are shooting it without issue.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
The easiest rout for me would be cheddite 3.5" hulls and PT1044 wads or sp10 wads (pt1044 wads seem to be for light loads but I have no idea which would be better) from BPI.

Ryan - you left out the part where you cut the 3.5" hulls to the desired length.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i shoot the load pete gave out with the reddot powder you will like this load it kill s squirls clean out to 50 yards...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I shoot 19grs of RD/ 1 1/16oz of shot with a 1/4" card cut in half [ for filler in a SP-10 wad ] in a 2 5/8 Remington, Federal, or Win hull and like it.
Unread 01-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been using PB in my 10 Ga. with the SP 10 wad in the brown federal hulls with no problems, however, when I tried the same combination in the new Cheddite hulls I've had powder seepage around the base of the SP 10 wad. It seems as though I might have to go to Red Dot as the powder granules appear to be larger. I have not yet tried the other wad that was mentioned. Is it slightly wider at the base than the SP 10's?
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin J Hawthorne Jr. View Post
I have not yet tried the other wad that was mentioned. Is it slightly wider at the base than the SP 10's?
Ive read where people say iys the same as the sp10 but it clearly looks different. Also read the same with the troubles you're having with the cheddite hulls due to a slightly thinner plastic making the ID slightly larger.

I think im going to go with the new Rem hulls cut down with 19 grs of Red Dot. I got a call today that my new loader is in so ill be anxious to start makin a few to try out!

In my constant research for 10 loads, someone said that thry had a friend from BPI send them data for a 1 ounce load using their wad, fed hulls cut down to 2 3/4". Thatd be interesting to try as well if I can acquire the actual recipe
Unread 01-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ryan, any 12ga load that has pressure around 8 to 9000psi should be safe because it will have less pressure in a 10ga because the chamber has a bigger diameter for the pressure to push against. I usually stay away from BPI because their components are more expensive than after market components. Most of their loads are for what they sell. I know they sell some things you can only get from them, but other than that I don't buy from them. I can buy CB 12ga wads for 80$/5000 [ or $8/500] - about half of what they get. I think you'll find the Rem, Win, or Federal 10ga hulls will last longer than the Cheddite hulls. I know loading 12ga the Cheddites are only good for about half the reloading life as the American hulls.
Unread 01-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ive read the same about using low pressure 12 gauge data for the 10 but I never could wrap my head around that id be using a different wad and not sure how that would change things. I plan on using Remington hulls from PR. Not sure what primer they have in them (57 or STS). So you're saying I could find a low pressure 1 1/8 oz 12 ga load and use the poder and charge weight that load calls for and stuff it in a 10 gauge hull with a sp10 wad? What about filler? I know BPIs stuff is pricey but their 10 ga wads are cheaper than the sp10 by about $7! Also, alliants green dot data is intriguing as it is for a 3.5" hull and 1 1/4 oz of shot. Although it uses (6) 0.135" cards to bring the column up and its 1/8 oz more of shot than I want. That way I would save a step by trimming the hulls.
Unread 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
Ive read the same about using low pressure 12 gauge data for the 10 but I never could wrap my head around that id be using a different wad and not sure how that would change things. I plan on using Remington hulls from PR. Not sure what primer they have in them (57 or STS). So you're saying I could find a low pressure 1 1/8 oz 12 ga load and use the poder and charge weight that load calls for and stuff it in a 10 gauge hull with a sp10 wad? What about filler? I know BPIs stuff is pricey but their 10 ga wads are cheaper than the sp10 by about $7! Also, alliants green dot data is intriguing as it is for a 3.5" hull and 1 1/4 oz of shot. Although it uses (6) 0.135" cards to bring the column up and its 1/8 oz more of shot than I want. That way I would save a step by trimming the hulls.
Ryan, are you shooting a gun chambered for 3.5" shells? If not trim the hull especially if lower pressure is a concern. Hulls using 57 size primers were unique to Remington and have not been made for close to 40 years or so.

The SP10 is a good wad for lead in a 10ga, I have not used the BPI wad but heard it was similar. I have shot some old Versalite wads but they produced far too many squib loads so my guess is they are not providing a tight seal. The SP10 works well with every hull I have tried.

Even if you are shooting a 3.5" chamber gun, 2 7/8" shells with light loads will work just fine. With regards to that Green Dot load, use a 2 7/8" hull and you will need less than 2 .135 cards, not 6 the 3.5 calls for. I also recommend backing the powder charge off to 27 grains of Green Dot with that 1 1/4 ounce of shot.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote