Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie

It's a Winchester SX2. The Mega weight load is new. It's like Hevi shot but they use bronze instead of nickel in the mixture. I started out using a Rhino .670 and a Indian Creek .665. I got about 260-270 pellets in 10" at 40 yds. Unsatisfied, I had Indian Creek make me a custom choke at .675 and the count increased to 290-300. It's a 2 7/16 oz load and I think opening it up to .675 just gave the shot a better chance getting out of the gun which improved the pattern. It's a lot of shot and weight at 2 7/16 oz.

I only do about 70-75 pellets in 10" at 70 yds. I would be interesting to see what your 8 ga does. Problem you can't shoot the shot size I use because it's 4x5x6x7 blend. Plus you can't choke it down as tight as I can. What is the choke size in your 8 ga? It seems most ive seen are not even full choked.

Best, ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

By the way, I don't believe most market hunters were using 8 ga for ducks when they were outlawed. I'll bet that if someone did the research they would find that the gun of choice was a 12 ga pump because in those days prior to Lacy Act you don't have to plug your pump. It was a lot more fire power then a two barrel 8 ga.

IMO, 8 ga shouldn't be outlawed for any reason. Your limit of ducks is 6-what's the difference how they die? Most game regulations don't make sense when you think about it. For example, I'll go away duck hunting for 3 days. I can kill 6 a day for a total of 18. But I can't take them all home with me because my possession limit is 12. Tell me how that makes any sense! Just a way for the gov't to hassle law abiding citizen, IMO. It's a waste of our tax money. Did you ever see some of these game officials? They carry stun guns, pistols, wear bullet proof vests, etc. They look like members of Seal Team 6. For what? To make sure I didn't kill an extra teal? That's how our tax dollars are spent worrying about a duck. Pls don't get me started!

Ray
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

ray i bet that winchester kicks pretty good shooting that heavy of a load in a 12 ga...ive shot up to 3 ounces in the old 8 ga f a loomis...the old 8 kicks pretty good with this load...my old 8 is choked about modiefied...the closet thing in shot size ive got at the moment is a load of no 6 s lead in 2 1/2 ounce load...i dont think my 8 will beat your score of 70 to 75 pellets at 70 yards but im gonna try this load after a while will post results tonight...i will step off 70 paces and i will take long steps if my gun shoots any were near yours i will then measure the distance..my old 8 ga really patters better with large shot than small...well im off to try that 10 inch circle... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

well just got back from trying the 8 ga out..i steped off 70 long steps used a paper plate as a target it was only 8 1/2 inch in dimater used the no 6 loads in 2 1/2 ounce...these loads had no shot collar...but as it may RAY your 12 ga out shot my 8 pretty goodi only put 16 pellets in the plate...i tried a load of no 2 s and it put 6 pellets in the plate...looks like ive got a lot of shooting and fiddlin around with loads to get the results you are getting... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie
Can't wait for results so we can prove that any ban on 8 ga is nonsense!

You know, I never feel the recoil when I kill one of those rascally gobblers. I probably shouldn't post this because someone is bound to call me an unethical hunter, but I dropped one stone cold dead at 68 yards (per my rangefinder) in the pouring rain. Had no choice. He was hung up when it started to down pour. If I didn't pull the trigger he would have been gone. He had 11.5" beard and 1 3/4" spurs!

Best, Ray
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Sounds like you're lucky you killed that bad boy Ray as I bet he was heading over to kick your butt all over the woods!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Masciarella View Post
For example, I'll go away duck hunting for 3 days. I can kill 6 a day for a total of 18. But I can't take them all home with me because my possession limit is 12. Tell me how that makes any sense!
Ray
The possession limit is designed to restrict the number of birds taken by any hunter.

Possession limit on the first day of a season is the daily bag limit.

I can not kill another duck on day 3 of a hunt away from home if I have 12 birds in my "possession" (6 bird daily limit). The hunt is over at 12 birds in possession.

Birds are in possession until they are "processed" at my permanent address.

States sell three day licenses, the possession limit of two days bag limit is a federal law.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

George Bird Evans commented on this once,

he thought it was unfair to reward a hunter who eats faster than he did.
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

JB

Here is how you solve that problem. Have the first six dicks for dinner on the first night, shoot 12 more and take them home, and tell the Feds to get a life.

Charlie

It is as I thought, ie 8 ga gives no advantage over modern 12 ga. Although I wouldn't mind smoking one of those rascals with your 8 ga. What a blast that would be!

I don't know much about shooting clays but I can build a turkey gun. With today's shot,
choke and wad technology, etc one could probably build a 20 ga that will out shoot an old 8 ga. My kids 20 ga puts about 200 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I think I'll do some more work on it and see what I can get at 70 yds. I bet I can get 40 pellets which is more then enough to kill 'em.

Richard

He kicked my butt by hanging up for an hour and half! The mental torment was much worse then a good butt kicking! I actually hunted that same turkey all last year and he won every time. I worked on my gun with different chokes, shot, etc so I could reach out and get him this year. No one told him that play time was over!

Best, Ray
Unread 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

ray you sure have given me chore in trying to make my old 8 ga shoot with your gun...my problem is i can not get the good wadding you can get for a 12 ga but i do have an iddeas to try...hey you may have all of us shooting 20 gas if you get your boys gun to put 40 pellets in a 10 inch circle at70 yards...hope you continue working on the 20 ga loads and gun i will keep working on the 8 ga load...will try a load in a few minutes... charlie