Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

sounds like a great little gun, I cant seem to view the pictures on my desk computer, but will try later on my laptop. I recently bit on a 16 hammer gun at a local show, and really enjoy shooting it. The makers name on the rib is to blurred to read, it has fluid steel 30" cyl/F chokes, cheek piece, sling swivels, and has both German and Belgian proof marks. The guys at the German Gun Collectors Assoc. went over it at the Southern, but couldnt figure it out. It is a little off face, but I usually shoot 2 1/2" 3/4 oz loads thru it. It weighs only 5 3/4 lbs. Im going to hunt with it this fall.
I think you will enjoy shooting yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (548.8 KB, 3 views)
Unread 07-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Was able to view the gun on my phone, nice gun. Yes , the barrels are shiny black, but receiver also retains alot of color.
Unread 07-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Harold, beautiful gun. For me, I buy a gun to shoot it. I appreciate collector’s value in an old gun. Like everyone here, I love old shotguns. That said, I buy a gun to shoot it and to me, nothing is more fun than a hammer shotgun, followed closely by any Parker hammerless. Your little 16 makes an excellent bird gun. I intend to do the same with mine. I have a very special quail hunt this fall with my father and son and plan to use mine for that.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Shells
Unread 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shells

Other than RST, do you know a source for 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 16 ga shells? I understand my gun has 2.5 in chambers. I didn't see any reasonably priced 16 ga shells on line at Cabelas. My local Wally World has precisely 1 box of Federal 16 ga.
Unread 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

https://polywad.com/vintager-shells

i have used their 16ga loads as well
Unread 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I finally have the mystery gun in hand. It is pretty much as I described but will post some additional pics, hopefully tonight. First thing I checked were the barrels, which ring like church bells. I'm not sure how they were blued, but the blue has largely turned a pleasing plum and is thin in spots and especially at the muzzles. The dent in the right barrel is tiny and does not protrude into the bore. The bores are perfect mirrors. It has shallow side clips, which I had not previously noticed. The rib inscription is as stated, Ant. Bennsman Ludinghaussen I. Westf. It makes no sense but that is what it reads. It appears to be a Belgian gun made to look like a German gun, likely for the German market. How it got to the US is anyone's guess, but with no import marks, a GI's duffel bag wouldn't be surprising considering its date of manufacture, 1926. The wood was refinished and probably not by a professional. It looks OK, good enough for now. The only problem I could find is the right hammer, which is loose. How does one tighten a loose hammer? Other than that, the gun appears in excellent condition, balances just forward of the hinge pin and feels great in the hand. I think I will enjoy it in the field.
Unread 08-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

Joe: the gun has been refinished, and has "mirror bores", which very likely means it has been honed. Please carefully measure the chamber length, and have someone with the interest and expertise measure the wall thickness from breech to 18", and MWT.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Drew, thanks for the advice. I have made arrangements to have the gun inspected, wall thickness measured, etc. It doesn’t appear much has been done to the gun at all, other than an owner long ago putting another coat of varnish on the wood.
Unread 09-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

A quick update on the mystery gun. Yep, a late Belgian hammergun made to look like a German gun. Nicely built. Looks great and a very sweet shooter. It’s light but the 30 in barrels keep it from being whippy. I’ll shoot it at the Vintage Gunners cup here soon.
Unread 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #20
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

This gun is turning into one of my favorites. With 7/8 oz loads, feels great. And with it, managed to tie for first in 16 ga. hammer gun at the Vintagers Not amazing shooting, but not bad. And now, to hunting season...
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post: