Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #41
RON SCORES
Forum Associate

Member Info

THANKYOU I WILL CONTACT LARUE AFTER I SEND FOR THE RESEARCH LETTER SHOULD I ADD ANY EXTRA INFO WHEN I SEND FOR THE RESEACH LETTER? WILL THEY REFERENCE MY ALBUM HERE IF I TELL THEM ABOUT IT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? THANKS RON
RON SCORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #42
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

When you write Mark Conrad and ask him for a research letter, you could reference the album photos here, he may have already seen them. He will comment as he sees fit.

You might look at the thread, Readily available Parkers, below. There are photos there of some outstanding G grades that are original or partially restored condition. I think many of those guns would have high interest to many Parker collectors as true to their type.

I've given you my thoughts and I see many other Parker people are on this thread now, who may have other valuable views. I'm strictly one person with my own half assed views, as my friend John Dunkle well knows.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #43
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Many more qualified guys than me, have politely commented on your gun, and while I may be relatively new to the forum, I'm not new to Parkers.
First off, let me say you have a very pretty gun, That said, an original Parker can only be original once, but it can be embellished, altered, upgraded and modified as many times as there are people wanting to do it,and willing to spend the money.
I think from your album, it's apparent that the gun was originally a Grade 2, or, G grade, and was most likely a Damascus barreled gun when it left Meriden. The lack of rib inscription, and other markings would seem to suggest it was re-barreled by Remington at a much later date.
Whether the butt stock is original to the gun might be able to be determined if it were removed, but it doesn't mater that much. In my most unqualified opinion, the upgraded checkering, checkered side panels and fleur-de-lis do not resemble those on grade 6 or 7 guns done at Meriden, but that doesn't mean it wasn't done by Remington. The same holds true for the engraving. Add to your album some pictures of the fore-end so that we can see if that matches the style, or grade, that the gunsmith had in mind when doing the stock and engraving. It's really unfortunate that Remington repair work can't be documented.
While your gun is unique, and quite nice, I'm not certain it would command much more than a good Grade 2 from a purist Parker collector, but might well from the many who appreciate good workmanship on it's own merit. Whats nice is that the work wasn't done to misrepresent it as a much higher grade, or, bluntly, a fake.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #44
RON SCORES
Forum Associate

Member Info

THANKS EDGAR FOR YOUR INPUT I ADDED THE PICTURES YOU REQUESTED. I AM NOW WRITTING MY REQUEST FOR A RESEARCH LETTER.
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #45
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

B stock.

This gun has only been shot a few times and has lots of case colors, which wash out with camera flash. The rib around the breech balls is what Bill Murphy was talking about. The Fleur dis lys carving is what Edgar Spencer was talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bstock 001.jpg (112.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bstock 002.jpg (130.4 KB, 2 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #46
RON SCORES
Forum Associate

Member Info

YOU ALSO HAVE A PURRRDY PARKER...
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #47
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Now doesn't that get more interesting. Water table shows a G frame but engraving is way beyond G. The butt stock checkering is high grade and the SN matches. Since there are some surviving records and it is an unusual gun, I think I would order a letter from research to satisfy what curiosity can be satisfied. Records for higher graded guns often show the original owner so you may be able to chase that down a bit as well.

Good luck in your search.
Jack
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #48
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Your repair code stamps indicate your gun was serviced at Remington in January of 1940 if I read the code correctly as BJ3. Hang tight on the advice you are getting about outside appraisers. You are likely to find out more here than anywhere else.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #49
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON SCORES View Post
THANKS EDGAR FOR YOUR INPUT I ADDED THE PICTURES YOU REQUESTED. I AM NOW WRITTING MY REQUEST FOR A RESEARCH LETTER.
Thanks for the fore-end pics, Ron. It appears that the fore-end was left unaltered from it's G grade configuration. If you look at the hammerless pictures of the various grades you'll see that the tip iron had a raised edge beginning with the D grade, and the fore-end iron, latch and tip iron were engraved, also beginning with the D grade. Seems an odd oversight these weren't also upgraded when the action and stock were.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #50
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

From your pictures it appears that your gun started life as an extractor gun in 1895 and was subsequently fitted with Moran & Wolfersperger automatic ejectors --

The pin in the forward part of the recess around the hinge pin ends and the slots milled in the front of the receiver are M&W work.

From the Remington repair code BJ3 (B = January, J = 1940, 3 = repair) it appears your gun was fitted with a set of new VH-Grade barrels and a new extractor forearm, and the M&W ejector parts removed from the receiver. Also the gun was fitted with the post 1910 bolt and the new barrels have the replaceable bolt plate.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: