Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

MY MOST VERSITILE DOUBLE
Unread 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Default MY MOST VERSITILE DOUBLE

I decided that I wanted to find a versatile, "modern" double gun. Something that was light, that I could shoot clays, skeet, pheasants, grouse and woodcock with. I wanted it to be built to my personal dimensions, have great wood and nice engraving. My search began by visiting Connecticut Shotgun last February, 2016. After my initial shock at all the great guns I was looking at and touching, I got serious with Thomas on my wants. I decided on an RBL 12 gauge. But I wanted it light, not heavy as many of the 12 gauge RBL's seemed to be. "We will build it on a 16 gauge frame" was the answer from Thomas. Next the wood. A visit to the "wood room" where the walls were literally covered with beautiful blanks was next. Thomas picked out three blanks for me to choose from. I said why only three. He answered that we could spend all day looking and would not do better than any of the three he picked for me. I decided on a blank and we moved on. What else did I want? Setters on the side plates, double triggers and a nice treatment on the butt of the gun was my answer. We looked at engraving patterns and I picked the one I liked best. Thomas suggested a heel and toe plate with checkering in between for the butt, and I agreed. Great. But how about finish he asked. I answered something classy and he suggested there London Oil finish. I agreed so that was set. I told him I wanted my gun to be versatile so we added Trulock Choke tubes to the barrels. The next stop was to see the stock fitter. After abut a half an hour of fitting, he decided on my personal dimensions for the gun. A deposit was left and I was assured that I would have my RBL within three months.
Two months later I received a call from Thomas that "my" RBL was finished, I eagerly awaited delivery to my FFL. I was not disappointed. The gun came out better than I expected. And how about weight? 6Lbs 8 oz, as light as many 20 gauge guns. Last summer I shot Clays, Skeet and Trap with it, changing chokes as needed. I hunted Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant with it in the fall and found it a joy to carry. So here is my "versatile" modern double. I will treasure it for a long time. So how about the folks at Connecticut Shotgun? Wonderful to work with and true to there promises. Clicking on the pictures twice will bring them much clearer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 087.jpg (531.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 082.jpg (507.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 084.jpg (522.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 086.jpg (520.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 090.jpg (517.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 093.jpg (524.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 095.jpg (504.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 099.jpg (511.6 KB, 35 views)
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

beautiful gun not every body gets to have their own dream gun...i know you are proud of it...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Thomas was right about the wood. Very nice gun, well done Stephen. You did'nt mention the barrel length, looks to be 28"?
Unread 03-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,401 Times in 3,074 Posts

Not to take anything away from the RBL; I've shot one and it was a wonderful handling gun, but if you blow up the second to last picture to it's largest, can you explain why the fore end wood to fore end iron fit is so sloppy, especially when compared to the heel and toe clips. I can even see unstained wood. If it were my gun, I'd send it back and ask them to tidy that up.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Thomas was right about the wood. Very nice gun, well done Stephen. You did'nt mention the barrel length, looks to be 28"?
Yes Daryl, barrels are 28"
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Unread 03-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Very nice. Wish my light frame RBL-12 had that butt treatment instead of the big interchangeable recoil pads. My light RBL-12 has Pheasants on one side and Ducks on the other. My RBL-16 has the same dog "engraving" as your 12.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

You did well Steve! RBL-S are fine guns from good ol USA...(-: I ordered a RBL-28 with two sets of barrels, its real sweet. Maybe I need a light 12? SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Your RBL is the nicest I have ever seen, but somehow a pointer snuck in on one side of your receiver.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Your RBL is the nicest I have ever seen, but somehow a pointer snuck in on one side of your receiver.
Yeh Bill, I noticed that when I received my gun, but I have learned to live with it
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Stephen, after a lifetime of setters, I have found myself in Pointerland for the last 11 years. It isn't so bad.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: