Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Aw shucks, Bill-
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #51
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Aw shucks, Bill-

Your timely reply almost makes me wish I had attended Georgia Tech- so you could more accurately call me a "ramblin' wreck". Not an engineer, but passed SMAW all positions to ASTM and API codes and know just enough of metallurgy (both ferrous and non-ferrous metals) to be considered "dangerous". Almost makes me wish I had attended college after HS, instead of enlisting in the USMC, but that's water gone under the bridge.

I also appreciate brother Suponski's "thanks" to your reply. With Pulaski days (or per the syntax in Dave's first rate article covering the North East SxS Classic pages 20-21 and 22)-- maybe that's Pulaski day'?? Fourth graph, near the end-' so that us boy's could--? boy's what- baseball gloves, hockey sticks? the unneeded apostrophe here indicates possive, ditto the last line- These gal's are the best- gal's what- purses, membership cards in the Ladies Aid Society, what? I might have rewritten that as-- "so that we could go out to play- and These gals are the best (and I am sure they are, even women being involved in a man's (ok to use the possessive here Dave) sport is an conundrum to me. I could feel the battery acid breath of Sister Mary Frigidare breathing down my neck in English composition, almost here the 'swishing' of her 15" ruler- aka- "The old knuckle cracker" as she was a stickler for getting it right- every time. As are most bosses in the skilled trades, as we both know. Great article and fotos, almost (but not quite) makes me wish I lived in the Eastern Seaboard and had an interest in breaking clays as you fellows have.

Often wondered about those Twists of fate- how the world might have been different if an Austrian Corporal with the Iron cross was killed by an Allied sniper instead of American poet/soldier Joyce Kilmer by a German sniper. How might the outcome of WW11 in the ETO have been if the soldier with the nervous breakdown had not been in that tent in Sicily when Patton visited- General George S. Patton Jr. logged far more hours visiting field hospitals and awarding purple hearts and other decorations for valor in combat than any other American or british field Commander in the entire during of the War in Europe.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #52
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,901 Times in 4,771 Posts

Dave, my friend, thank you for the recognition of my story. I wish you could have been there, as I wish I could have been at the Meriden reunion. The owner of the little gun is a long time friend of Kevin's and mine, a Patton family member, and an active shooter.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #53
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,330 Times in 12,399 Posts

Bill, I know the Pattons up here in Hamilton, MA. Very nice people.

I've got to agree with you on your r.r. commentary too. No offense Francis, but you just proved Bill's point.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #54
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Thanks Bill, I thought it was was a wonderful story. I read Francis's reply three times and still don't understand. I think I'll just go to bed...
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #55
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,901 Times in 4,771 Posts

Francis' alter ego on the doublegun.com forum has just been banned from the site. Like Francis, his alter ego will be allowed back when he settles down. His banishment was discussed on the other site, but he was never actually banned. I really don't remember whether Francis was allowed back here by the webmaster or just reregistered under another name.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
No big mystery here Bill.
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #56
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default No big mystery here Bill.

Like about maybe 80% of the PGCA Members, I pay my annual dues, under my given name Francis Morin, as the rules and regs. required. If you have a question, and as a Life member since third grade (age 9 perhaps) you most certainly allowed that option, as RHIP-- please feel free to contact our webmaster John Dunkle and I am sure he can clarify whatever seems to be troubling you at this juncture in time.

What happens, or does not happen, on any other website I may subscribe to, has absolutely no bearing on my membership or posting threads (or responding to them in kind) here on the PGCA. If you should choose to see it differently, that is, of course, your option.

Mae and I might be visiting my baby sister Clothilde, she and her husband live in Germantown, MD. If that is close to where you live, perhaps we can meet somewhere for a drink, and you can see, a la George C. Scott in the 1970 movie "Patton"- the scene where Ike orders him to apologize for slapping the soldier- "If I am really as big of a SOB as you think I am"-- Cheers
"Either mill it right, or don't bother to mill it at all"
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #57
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Either mill it right, or don't bother to mill it at all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Thanks Bill, I thought it was was a wonderful story. I read Francis's reply three times and still don't understand. I think I'll just go to bed...
-- If you will aloow my "play on the word 'Millwright'- and as we both have a machine shop background. I have a keen eye for details, crucial to certain skilled trades-and also some military MOS-- About a year ago I noted in an issue of our beloved Parker Pages that your good friend Bill Murphy's lovely wife Linda had her (and Bill's) last name miss-spelled- as Murphey, instead of Murphy. I made mention of that error, in the same wise as when we were discussing Bourbon whiskies, and someone replied that George Dickel was their favorite whisky- wrong spelling here, Famous grouse is a whisky, George Dickel is a whiskey--

Perhaps I should have directed my observations as to the improper usage of the apostrophe and the s that followed in both the boy's and later the gal's to the proofreader at PP. What I was trying to explain to you, besides my remarks as to the top quality of the photos and the overall balance of your article, is that such usage is in error.

We all try to detail our beloved Parkers, both by written words and by photos to be "dead nutz" perfect, so that both our brother members of the PGCA and the casual readers of our Forums will know we are 100% serious about our love of the "Old Reliables". If you, hypothetically, were to show one of our fine Parkers in the proper forum here, and miss-described a DHE as a BHE, would you not expect some other equally sharp-eyed reader to make note of that error? I should hope so.

With the celebration of the brave Revolutionary hero Casmir Pulaski upon us, and with the fact that my surname once was Murinski- well, you can bet your dupa I'll be around for quite a while- eagle eyed and as always, Your Observant Servant, (with credit due to the late Robert C. Ruark)!!:b anghead:
Do you have a different doublegunforum, Bill?
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #58
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Do you have a different doublegunforum, Bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Francis' alter ego on the doublegun.com forum has just been banned from the site. Like Francis, his alter ego will be allowed back when he settles down. His banishment was discussed on the other site, but he was never actually banned. I really don't remember whether Francis was allowed back here by the webmaster or just reregistered under another name.
-- It is 22:30 hrs here, and I just logged on to the www.doublegunshop.com forum, the one operated by Dave Weber in upstate New York (near Doug Turnbull's shop)- I logged in as usual, and just posted my ad under the WTB sector- (just as I did here on our PGCA members Sale sector- for the Ithaca 16 gauge NID buttstock a friend needs)--

There are many duplicate websites out there in "Al Gore's internet-Land" so perhaps you are thinking of another one that sounds like doublegunshop, but maybe isn't. You are 100% correct- I post here under my given name, as the rules require- and on the above mentioned doublegunshop as Run With The Fox--those are the only two gun related websites to which I subscribe. I do own a Fox Sterlingworth, and four LC Smiths, but do not post on either of those "brother" websites, as they do not allow one to buy or sell complete shotguns, as we may here. I hope this clarifies things a bit for you.
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Francis, Thank you for the long winded reply and also for correcting my grammer. Now I understand where you were going with that previous post. I hope that my mistakes in proper grammer didn't lessen the readers enjoyment.

Maybe we should employ your"eagle eye"as a proof reader for Parker Pages....
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #60
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default .410?

I actually thought there might have been something posted here recently about Parker Repro .410s !
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Bernfeld For Your Post: