Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #21
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Great to hear they are moving. I have been monitoring my local area and do not believe any flight birds have made it here, yet. I expect the action to improve in the next few days. Thanks for the update.
Gary,
My hunting buddy has a friend in Indiana, they are seeing flight birds down there as of 2 days ago.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #22
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 895 Posts

The migration is in full swing here in Central NH. Pushed over 15 birds today. Fun times.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #23
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Out again today. Season closes on the 14th so time is a'waisting. Limited out again with my Dads 1912 16 gauge Ithaca Flues, factory choked cylinder/full. Weighs 5 lbs 12 oz. Great bird gun. He purchased it sometime in the 1930's from a Widow who worked where he was working for $25. I treasured that gun so when I graduated from College he gifted it to me. Special to be sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6911 (3).jpg (558.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6912 (3).jpg (559.6 KB, 0 views)
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #24
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,250 Posts

Special gun Steve and special dog. God willing I would like to hunt the old covers in Bew Hampshire that I hunted growing up with my day around Hooksett and Bow. They're probably housing developments now.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #25
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Allen, I can probably say for sure that the covers you used to hunt in Bow are not huntable now. Progress And Cody is a bird hunting machine. Smart, and hunts close with unbelievable drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #26
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Steve, the family story goes like this. My Dad's father, my grandfather was an exec with one of the big leather companies in Boston. They lived in Dedham, mass. At the height of the depression and to relieve the stress, my grandfather bought a farm in Bow, NH. So my dad and his three brothers spent a fair amount of time on the farm, hunting in Bow and surrounding towns. One weekend when my grandfather was shooting hand trap in one of the fields with his sons, upon the recoil of his 16 ga VH his thumb which for some unexplained reason was high on the stock, the recoil from the gun drove his thumb back striking his nose. He went home to Dedham with a headache and died the next day. Apparently instead of getting a bloody nose. It bled inward and he died of a cerebral hemorrhage. My dad inherited the 16 and my brother and I hunted with it growing up. We thus became inbued with Parker , it's a disease of the blood. When my dad died, my brother inherited the 16 and a few yrs later I bought it of my brother. About 8 yrs ago I drove out to Ilion to sit down with Lawrence DelGrego and had him do a total restoration. It needed it from all the years of hard use. The stock at the head was punky. No case colors remained and the barrels needed work. A yr later I picked it up. I still shoot it but sparingly. It's already spoken for by one of my Newell second cousins in Utah. I want it to stay in the family. My apologies to anyone for hijacking this thread but I wanted you to know how much 16 ga Parkers are so very special no matter the grade.
Steve, let's chat off line about a bird hunt up your way next season. I'll shoot the 16. There's a history behind every Parker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Allen, that is a tragic story about your Grandfather. I am glad that you have his gun and had it fixed up for use.
Unread 11-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #28
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Steve. There's more to the story. After my grandfather passed, the family had some sort of land dispute with some neighboring folks and they burned the farm down. No one was charged and my grandmother sold the property.