Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Question on Parker SBT
Unread 10-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Tom Dexter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Question on Parker SBT

I'm presently in possession of an LC Smith Monogram Grade 12-bore used by a famous lady live-bird and trap shooter named Anna M. Rieker (maiden name) in the hopes of featuring her story and gun in the DGJ. Information has been difficult to find with most coming from old news paper clippings; some of which have faded and others with grainy photos of Anna holding her Smith, but others show her holding what appears to be a straight gripped Parker SBT. Obviously I've wondering if anyone might have any information on this SBT, which I assume still exists somewhere? One of the primary issues in researching Anna thus far has been her name/s. She began her shooting career as an unmarried woman and was primarily known as Anna M. Rieker, although her last name was sometimes spelled "Riker". In about 1910 she married Lewis G. Vogel and began to shoot under her married name Mrs. L.G. Vogel (as was proper for the day), and sometimes Anna Vogel. Lewis died in the mid-20's and after being a widow for several years, Anna remarried and became known as Mrs. Wm. G. Cavers. She was also a member of the Westy Hogan shooting group where she was known as Nan Hogan; and finally did some shooting under the name Chief Shooting Squaw. Again as noted, I'm interested in any information but primarily want to know if there's any record of a Parker SBT being sold to one of the above named ladies.
Many thanks, Tom Archer
Tom Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
Trap3
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,123 Times in 270 Posts

Here she is in 1917 " High Average Leader" from the Interstate Trapshooting Association yearly average book. I think she was the Women`s Champion at The Grand American Handicap 1915, 1916 and 1917 Her average at clay targets for those years 89 & 90%.
With the reference to Chief Shooting Squaw she was probably a member of The Atlantic Indians Trapshooting organization...

Trap3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6229 (2).jpg (447.5 KB, 6 views)
Randy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy Davis For Your Post:
Vogel
Unread 10-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

Default Vogel

Drew Hause posted some info in this thread where her name appears. Second page, post #19. If the link does not take you to it just search Vogel and it should appear.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ighlight=Vogel
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Tom Dexter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Randy and Trap 3, many thanks for your responses. As FYI, I've already located the information you referenced, and have a copy of the pic above; and I've also been in touch with Dr. Drew. I did make contact with a gentleman who's a member of the American Trapshooters forum, and which individual has been an invaluable resource for information on Anna; but who could provide no information on her guns. I was thinking that if I could find any information on her SBT, which appears to be a Parker, I could weave/include that into the story also; thus my primary interest with this post is information on her SBT, thinking that there might be a reference in the old shipping records for an SBT being sold to Anna Vogel, or Mrs. L.G. Vogel.
Unread 10-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,935 Times in 1,411 Posts

I would need a S/N to help
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Tom Dexter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck
I figured as much, but to date all I can find is a photo and don't have a clue as to a serial number or any other details. I knew this would be a long shot, but wanted to give it shot anyway and hope for the best. As FYI, the only way I've able to confirm the Monogram Smith gun as being Anna's is by virtue of her name being on the gun itself. Thanks, Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Dexter For Your Post: