Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #51
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A Van Tassell View Post
You too...
I plan to hoard Unique when it finally becomes available again.
It seems I picked a *very* bad time to get back into clays... or anything else for that matter. Last time around was in 1986, and I am completely stunned at how different things are today... and not in a good way.

BTW Craig, greetings from NF/Buffalo!
As to the hoarding I wish I had been in a position to get 6-10 8 pounders of SR7625 and perhaps 5 or 6 eights’s of SR4756 .
Unread 10-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #52
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Been a good week so far. 5k primers arrived via the pony express, found an unopened 8lb can of 4756 and just scored 2lb Clays and 1lb of 20/28 to go with the 7lb jug I got in a gun deal at Rock Mountain. This should be in the 2021 buy/sell thread but it is directly related to the 20/28 powder as I will be shooting much more 28 gauge than I normally do because I lucked in to a lovely little Perazzi MX28. This gun will take the pressure off my two Parkers.
Unread 10-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #53
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Been a good week so far. 5k primers arrived via the pony express, found an unopened 8lb can of 4756 and just scored 2lb Clays and 1lb of 20/28 to go with the 7lb jug I got in a gun deal at Rock Mountain. This should be in the 2021 buy/sell thread but it is directly related to the 20/28 powder as I will be shooting much more 28 gauge than I normally do because I lucked in to a lovely little Perazzi MX28. This gun will take the pressure off my two Parkers.
So now you can let that old beater VHE 28 30” go All BS aside I’d be intrested to see the Perazzi ! While I don’t hold it in as high regard as a Perazzi or Krieghoff we had a Beretta 687EELL two barrel 20/28 set slide they the ship a couple months ago . I’d liked to have had that , but it was in for a good cleaning and to change springs and firing pins .
Unread 10-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #54
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sorry Craig, the VHE 28 is staying with me for a while but you're welcome to shoot it whenever we get together.

The Perazzi is built on, what they call, a baby frame. You can kind of compare it to a OO frame. Absolutely the finest gun that I own at this point.

Sending you a PM re: release shoots at FMR.
Unread 10-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #55
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Daryl, speaking of Alliant 20/28 powder, an 8 pound jug just sold on Gunbroker for $595. + $50. shipping + Buyer's state sales tax + 1% GB "compliance fee". Brisk bidding with 25 bidders. Let's say the Buyer lives here in PA where the state sales tax is 6%. That would make the total price: $690. for 8 pounds.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912261632
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #56
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Daryl, speaking of Alliant 20/28 powder, an 8 pound jug just sold on Gunbroker for $595. + $50. shipping + Buyer's state sales tax + 1% GB "compliance fee". Brisk bidding with 25 bidders. Let's say the Buyer lives here in PA where the state sales tax is 6%. That would make the total price: $690. for 8 pounds.

I went looking for Unique on GB a few hours ago, saw a couple 4-pounders asking around $400 for them ... NOPE! Even if I had the money I won't pay scalpers prices. They had zero bids.
Peter A Van Tassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter A Van Tassell For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #57
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:

That's unbelievable that someone would need it that bad. I found these on a shelf with rifle powders and all of them were priced at 2019 prices. I believe that if someone lives in a remote area with few outlets selling components than maybe he feels justified paying those prices.
Unread 10-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #58
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Sorry Craig, the VHE 28 is staying with me for a while but you're welcome to shoot it whenever we get together.

The Perazzi is built on, what they call, a baby frame. You can kind of compare it to a OO frame. Absolutely the finest gun that I own at this point.

Sending you a PM re: release shoots at FMR.
So the Perazzi frame is smaller than the K-20 frame which I like quite a bit . The 687EELL we had at the shop was just a 20 gauge frame be it from back in the 90’s . I like the long barreled 10’s and 12’s on the 3 and 2 frames , however over a weekend with several hundred targets I’m finding once I get tired my 0 frame 20 and 28 are a relief to shoot . I’d like to find a 32” 20 on a 1 frame but I’d be almost as happy with one on an 0 frame just like I’d be happy with a 30” or 32” 28 on an 0 frame .
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #59
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A Van Tassell View Post
I went looking for Unique on GB a few hours ago, saw a couple 4-pounders asking around $400 for them ... NOPE! Even if I had the money I won't pay scalpers prices. They had zero bids.
Yah that's way out of wack and I'd never even consider buying at that price level, but "scalper" is a broad term and can cover a wide range of pricings. If I think back 8 months or so there were so many guys with cavalier comments and posts how they'd never pay what were then premium prices and calling the sellers: scalpers. Much the same fellas who are now scrounging for primers, powder and to a lesser extent, shot. Also some are imposing on their grasshopper friends to help them out (Aesop's Fable analogy). Prices have gone up, period. And those who shoot are facing the reality that prices of components and shotgun ammo will never come back down to let's say 2019 levels, same progression as happened with 2015 prices, etc. For example I'm finishing up a sleeve (5000) of Cheddite 209's I dated 2015 and $109.00 price paid plus 6% sales tax. Nowadays many are HAPPY to pay $190. for a sleeve of Cheddite 209's from one of the large on-line distributors, plus Hazmat, shipping and sales tax. Works out to about $250./sleeve for me here in PA.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #60
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Yah that's way out of wack and I'd never even consider buying at that price level, but "scalper" is a broad term and can cover a wide range of pricings. If I think back 8 months or so there were so many guys with cavalier comments and posts how they'd never pay what were then premium prices and calling the sellers: scalpers. Much the same fellas who are now scrounging for primers, powder and to a lesser extent, shot. Also some are imposing on their grasshopper friends to help them out (Aesop's Fable analogy). Prices have gone up, period. And those who shoot are facing the reality that prices of components and shotgun ammo will never come back down to let's say 2019 levels, same progression as happened with 2015 prices, etc. For example I'm finishing up a sleeve (5000) of Cheddite 209's I dated 2015 and $109.00 price paid plus 6% sales tax. Nowadays many are HAPPY to pay $190. for a sleeve of Cheddite 209's from one of the large on-line distributors, plus Hazmat, shipping and sales tax. Works out to about $250./sleeve for me here in PA.
I think this time it's different and worse, inflation of most of what we all consume was not present during the last shortages of ammunition and components. This shortage has gone on longer and more wide spread than previous shortages and economic inflation is a factor, todays prices may look like bargains in the future.