Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 05-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

The "leopard" rainbow is just a nickname for that native species of rainbow. Their spots are numerous and large - not at all like the generic rainbow stockers we see in the lower 48.

We saw the big bows on the Kvichak River gorging them selves on the salmon eggs and as we were cleaning the sockeyes we caught at the river's edge and tossing the entrails and eggs into the water there was a feeding frenzy below us.

I copied these pics from the Internet just for illustrative purposes of the leopard bows.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leopard.jpg (10.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Leopard 2.jpg (10.3 KB, 130 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #22
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The "leopard" rainbow is just a nickname for that native species of rainbow. Their spots are numerous and large - not at all like the generic rainbow stockers we see in the lower 48.

We saw the big bows on the Kvichak River gorging them selves on the salmon eggs and as we were cleaning the sockeyes we caught at the river's edge and tossing the entrails and eggs into the water there was a feeding frenzy below us.

I copied these pics from the Internet just for illustrative purposes of the leopard bows.

That looks alot like the ones I saw in the fishing show. Man those fish are beautiful-about like finding a mint Parker with original case colors. Did you try to catch any of these rainbows while fishing for the salmon? I know in the show I was watching they used a small sack of eggs and made short cast with their fly rods to catch them in about 2 feet of water. Also Went to the fish market yesterday(called the Trout House) and got some wild salmon fillets to grill outside today.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Oh man ded we grill some fine sockeye filets! Skin side down and when the veins of fat turn white and start to expand they’re done - not a second longer.

We used hot pink chenille egg flies and double egg flies with a little white marabou between the eggs. These were known as sperm & egg flies. We caught several rainbows this way and the purple egg-sucking leech with the pink egg at the nose caught some trout but just as many big arctic grayling.

You should go before you can’t.

Unread 05-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #24
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

From John Voelker's "Testament of a fisherman".

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; be*cause of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant—and not nearly so much fun.
Unread 07-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #25
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

From the land of native brookies, 49F air temperature in Mid-July, northern Maine roadside pool, many, many more swim wild and free. Moose tracks line the bank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88BD3318-CAEF-4F5F-86AE-2BB03D21A1ED.jpg (525.8 KB, 3 views)
Unread 07-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Pretty tasty. Combine them with fiddleheads, medallions of cattail roots and wild mushrooms of your choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: