Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 04-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #31
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

A very nice job! Congratulations.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #32
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Agreed

Excellent work
Unread 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #33
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,559 Times in 773 Posts

Great job.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #34
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
I've been looking at "Tom Flanigan's Damascus Restoration Tutorial" which I understand to be an adaptation of Dr. Gaddy's method, and it mentions carding with wet baking soda.

Also, the document directs the audience to drill a second weep hole in the rib. Do you folks do this, and how far from the muzzle is recommended?
Just saw this Bill. You are mistaken. I have never drilled a weep hole or recommended it. I should never be done, ever, when using the rust blue methods for fluid or damascus finishing.

It may be necessary for some types of hot bluing but I am totally unfamiliar with those methods and have never used them.

To clarify, I card with wet baking soda to lightly card after the etchant dip. The baking soda stops further action of the etchant and removes the color loosened by the etchant. It is not used for carding the barrels after rusting.

I am back restoring my own damascus barrels. I have modified my former approach to get more consistency. Getting consistent results takes a lot of trial and error. Most develop their own tweaks on the overall process. The results of my new tweaks is very encouraging.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #35
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Tom. I was referring to both documents; yours and Dr. Gaddy’s. In one of Gaddy’s was mentioned a second weep hole.

I’m sure all of us interested in the process the process would value hearing whatever tweaks you’re willing to share.

This is my last set. No logwood involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C6776335-35C3-4F6A-8610-9BAC4CC885A8.jpeg (478.0 KB, 2 views)
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #36
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Absolutely beautiful Bill. You have obviously developed your own tweaks. I have more experimenting to do before I publish my new twists and turns. When I get consistent results on all barrels, I'll share my thoughts.

Some barrels are harder than others. When I can do any barrel the same way and get good consistent results, I'll post my tweaks.
Unread 04-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #37
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Some barrels are harder than others. When I can do any barrel the same way and get good consistent results, I'll post my tweaks.
Thanks Tom. No kidding. The 4-iron was misery. The layers are so thin. This Washington was one of the easier ones thus far because the pattern edges are more distinct.

I like your wisdom around success with any barrel. I still consider my successes to have been educational accidents. Either way, it’s interesting, fulfilling, and frustrating.
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Shellac or Urethane?
Unread 04-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #38
Campchair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shellac or Urethane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
These are from a Smith hammer gun I finished this week. Still without a logwood tank, but hope to have one sorted out soon.

These photos are mid-day, overcast. They'd look brighter overall in direct sun perhaps, and then possibly over-dark inside a room. The hue is the same in person, even though the underside looks lighter, it isn't really. Four coats of wax.

I still find myself using baking soda as a soft slurry for carding after etching. I like it. In a way it's flexible, in that you can use less or more, impregnating some steel wool or just fingertips, depending on how you need to deal with irregularities in the effectiveness of the etching. Calcium cabonate (whiting) is what Dr. Gaddy wrote about, and will try that also, but the soda accomplishes the same purpose and neutralizes the acid. Still working on it.

On the list to sort out is the coating of the bores with urethane or shellac without making a big mess.
I was wondering about the urethane coat. I rust blue pretty regularly, in fact, it’s my regular bluing method. I work primarily on doubles and other higher end guns, so it didn’t make sense to maintain a set of tanks that would sit idle most of the time. I’m about to do my first Damascus barrel for a customer. It’s a Parker with Stubbs Twist barrels. I’ll probably be posting a lot of questions during the course of this new endeavor. Any help would be very welcome. I have Tom Flanagan’s article as a starting point. Where can Dr. Gaddy’s instructions be found?

I use shellac to mask bores and other areas in my rust blue jobs. It’s easy to apply, seems to stay intact very well even through repeated boiling cycles, and is really easy to remove at the end. Would it do well on Damascus finishing? I tried urethane early on my rust bluing. It is very hard to remove, especially from interiors of receivers and other tight spots, and sometimes, some of the stripping compounds recommended for urethane removal are very bad on the new finish. Can shellac be used with the etching steps? Your advice would be appreciated.
William Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #39
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have never used shellac but I imagine it would work. I use urethane for damascus because you typically have to do many more iterations of rust, card, etch and boil. But you might be onto something with shellac. I'll try it and If it stays intact, I'll switch. It certainly would be a lot easier to remove from the bores.
Unread 04-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Why not just use rubber stoppers like so many others do?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote