Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #71
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Thanks to a PGCA member I was able to purchase a 8 pounder of Unique at retail. Now I'm set on supplies for a couple of years or more. A sincere thanks to all that PM`d me over the last year with tips on in stock items and others that traded needed items for my surplus items. Great brotherhood looking out to assist each other. Craig Larter
Congratulations! Hope 8 lbs will last you a while
I'm in the market for Unique also, at some point in the next 10 months
Just in case anyone hears of any. Can drive to Ohio or PA if need be.
Can't do anything right now, medical bills first.
Peter A Van Tassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #72
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,249 Times in 1,202 Posts

Just for info, I talked with a friend in the industry today about powder and he told me it's not well known but THERE IS A SHORTAGE of nitrocellulose, the primary ingredient (percentage-wise) in modern smokeless powders. That's because an alternate industry that had been using limited NC has ramped up production over recent months and the few NC manufacturers have limited production capacity. Net, powder shortages will continue for the foreseeable future. Buy it when you can .....
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #73
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Just for info, I talked with a friend in the industry today about powder and he told me it's not well known but THERE IS A SHORTAGE of nitrocellulose, the primary ingredient (percentage-wise) in modern smokeless powders. That's because an alternate industry that had been using limited NC has ramped up production over recent months and the few NC manufacturers have limited production capacity. Net, powder shortages will continue for the foreseeable future. Buy it when you can .....
I really do wonder what that alternate industry might be, now that it has such a sudden demand. Particularly keeping the shipping disruptions and international trade in mind.
Unread 10-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #74
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,249 Times in 1,202 Posts

Just trying to pass some inside info to members. What alternate industry that is, is irrelevant to those who are trying to find and buy reloading powders. Peter, you can accept that info or if in doubt, do your own research to confirm/deny the increase in NC demand and please let us know what you find out from your source(s). Those who have studied organic chemistry will know that cellulose can be nitrated to a wide range of % nitrogen for products with different end uses.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #75
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Those who have studied organic chemistry will know that cellulose can be nitrated to a wide range of % nitrogen for products with different end uses.
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is plastics, but I'm not aware of any real upheavals in that sector lately. Certainly not on a scale that would impact other users. (I do heavy industrial maintenance for a living, so I'm not far from industry in general).

I also know that I've heard a lot of different reasons from all over the place, none of which I am able to verify independently. And of course, I don't particularly trust the government NOR the "official" sources of info either.