Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Ears
Unread 10-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Ears

Soliciting some advice on ear protection for upland work. Even when hunting alone, using nothing has started to bother.
Earplugs have become frustrating to hear the dog bell, flushes and other nuanced noises of the woods.
The electronic devices are appealing but expensive. Do they work without the howling and screaching associated with hearing aids?
Any experience with the mechanical earplugs that purport to work similarly without the electronic circuitry?
Thanks for any guidance.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks or uses as well. I have to wear an ear plug in my left (off shooting ear) when I hunt.
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

I think I've used about every device available (including cigarette filters while on the range in the Army) The custom electronic filters I bought (Starkey) didn't work worth a darn. Presently, I'm using molded rubber plugs on the gun range. They work so well that It's hard to hear a normal conversation. I think for field work I would use the throw-away foam plugs
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

I went to a Beltone hearing aid franchise had had custom ear molds made. To these I use Walker's game ears, the HD version which are adjustable for amplification and shunt the blast of a gun. But after losing one, over $200 each it was suggested to tie them together and I use 50 pound fishing line so if one falls out while hunting it does not get lost. The HDs are about $140 each and use standard hearing aid batteries. These are excellent for the range and still hunting as well for one can hear the slightest noise. But on a windy day and with a lot of squirrels running around it will drive you nuts. Many days I have climbed down thinking it was too windy to discover at the bottom of the tree that it was about a 3 mph wind.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use electronic sound dampening slim ear muffs always when shooting or using dog training devices (e.g. dummy launchers). Although I should, I never use them while actually upland hunting. At the range I experimented with all sorts of devices except the expensive custom molded sound dampening devices. The best for me were ear muffs except that it is quite annoying to have the stock bump the ear muff every time you mount the gun. I went to a slim ear muff which helped but did not eliminate the problem. And at the range and when training dogs I definitely want to hear everything including dog bells or commands at the firing line so sound dampening is the way to go for me. Really look forward to others opinions because I'm willing to try anything.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

...now I wish we could protect the hearing of our gun dogs...their hearing is so sensitive that it can't be good firing a shotgun 10' away.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pope View Post
...now I wish we could protect the hearing of our gun dogs...their hearing is so sensitive that it can't be good firing a shotgun 10' away.

...and all this time I just thought Gracie was being obstinate and ignoring me...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 2,674 Posts

I use Soundgear and they work great. Make sure to use alkaline batteries, not the "zinc air" batteries as they begin to deplete as soon as you open the pack. I also use the Soundgear molded solid in-the-ear protection when I'm not concerned with enhancing other sounds. If you are in upstate NY contact Tom Fiumarello, he is the dealer for Soundgear that we use.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

I've been using the E.A.R digital custom molded earplugs for well over 10 years for clays and hunting. I actually bought them when the Vintage Cup was held at Sandanona so it could be longer. Love them.
Unread 10-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

I have a set of Walkers electronic ear plugs. I think they are the $300 dollar version. Although I haven't worn them hunting, they work great for all other uses I've put them to (cutting wood, patterning shotguns, cutting the grass, etc.)...except when I am talking it becomes hard to tell how loud I'm speaking and it is difficulty to carry on conversations. My wife solved the issue by telling me to not talk any more. Problem solved. But seriously, they work well blocking harmful noise AND allowing me to hear other sounds. I may try them hunting. I don't shoot that much, but over time, I know it takes a toll.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: