Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

NOT QUITE A LIMIT OF GEESE...
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,709 Times in 877 Posts

Default NOT QUITE A LIMIT OF GEESE...

but better than nothing. 1893 NH 30" full and full shooting 1 1/2 oz of American E-Shot. With the mild winter this year, geese are not in the numbers of years past. I've got to blame something on not getting my limit so the full and full probably explains a few misses at close range. I really longed for that third shot from a pump as they flew away!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1893 NH 10 GA and geese 2-18-12.jpg (357.0 KB, 8 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice birds and a great lookin gun....photos really good...hope them geese eat better than the last one i tried then again i aint much of a cook...but nothing more enjoyable than being outdoors and a plus if you have someyhing to shoot at...like you did...aint we all wish for that 3 rd shot a few times....go get us a few more and maybe youall will get the limit.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

Thanks. Geese make the best barbecue and goose hash you have ever eaten. For BBQ I cook them in a crock pot for a day, change the water, and cook again for another day. Chop finely to try to find all of the little black shot hiding in the meat. The only advantage of steel shot I have ever found was that it was bright and large so one could find it. You cannot do that with hevi-shot and other non-toxic in the smaller sizes like 6s and 4s. Add your favorite BBQ sauce and goose back in the cleaned crock pot to simmer.

For goose hash, I cube the breasts into 1/2 inch or smaller cubes, boil away all the brown scum, boil my potatoes cubed to the same size with onions, add the meat, lots of salt/pepper and butter to taste (lots of butter) and some Old Bay Seasoning. When it is done I make a thickening with flour and cold water and mix it thoroughly until I have a paste for the thickening that is stirred in. With peanut buttered toast, it is the greatest cold weather meal ever.

Well, on second thought, maybe it's the other stuff that taste so good.
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

I'm with you on the mild winter, it really cut into my shooting as well. I usually kill 40 or more a season and this year it was 12 even this far north. Still had a couple good shoots, that's all a man can really ask for.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

just got done eating breakfast but i m sure tasting that old goose rite now...wish ida known how to cook that old goose i killed....knowing how to cook somethinging edible is what its all about plus making it taste good...which sounds like youve learned the secret to cooking a goose...if i lived closer id invite myself over and have goose for dinner... charlie
Unread 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Jerry: I think you did great 2 barrels and 2 geese. That has got to qualify for doubles pin. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thomas,

I only wish. Look closely at the picture and there are four empty hulls. Two more were somewhere else. It was miss/kill, miss/kill, wound/miss. Last one was same bird twice with hits, but he would not fall. Autopsies of the birds revealed that American E, a tungsten polymer, does not have nearly the energy of hevi-shot or lead in my opinion. The penetration was barely into the skin at 30 yards, where hevi-shot in 4s would have been driven deep. Of course, the fps is a whole lot less on the low pressure/low velocity loads and really may be what was to blame.
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Jerry: I thought maybe you just fired a couple warning shots to give them a chance. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thats a goodin.... charlie