Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'd like to say that Brian did a CHE for me after Geoffroy Gournet was done touching up the engraving. It was done well and in a timely manner. He has earned my future business and as soon as the Parker Fund recovers he's going to do another CHE to convert back to English stock.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

I realize gunsmiths and people in general have their own agenda's and relative time frames for whatever . And i fully understand having to wait if you go to someone that has a big name in whatever it is you want done (not only gunsmiths) . So with that being said the bigger name the person has the longer wait I anticipate . And i like to think of myself as understanding , BUT if that person keeps giving me a run around when they don't even come close to meeting their projected time of completion I get pissed PDQ . And I truely believe a lot of folks in professions like gunsmiths that do work for others have a natural human tendency to stop on this or that to do something quick for a favored customer or friend . And to be honest you should kinda expect that . But if a guy can't do for me in a timely manner based on his finished estimate we generally don't do buisness again .
Unread 08-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #13
Mtntopjack
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Turn Around Time

A year or so ago I sent my Fox barrels out for rib repair and reblueing from a prominent shop which I chose from our membership's positive comments. I was told the job would take "around 3 or 4 months". I ended-up waiting for more than 1 1/2 years, and although I was entirely pleased with the finish work, I was very displeased that I was led to believe the job would take X amount of time when the actual time was about 4 times longer. Seems to me the owner of a shop should know about how long a job is going to take, and not lead their customers to believe something else entirely different. Just my $.02
Jack Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Damon For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2019, 01:44 AM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Damon View Post
A year or so ago I sent my Fox barrels out for rib repair and reblueing from a prominent shop which I chose from our membership's positive comments. I was told the job would take "around 3 or 4 months". I ended-up waiting for more than 1 1/2 years, and although I was entirely pleased with the finish work, I was very displeased that I was led to believe the job would take X amount of time when the actual time was about 4 times longer. Seems to me the owner of a shop should know about how long a job is going to take, and not lead their customers to believe something else entirely different. Just my $.02
You’re absolutely correct ! Give me an overly conservative time estimate then get it to me a little earlier , I’ll be far more satisfied then hearing some short order BS and then wait 3 or 4 times longer then the original estimate .
Unread 08-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,507 Times in 3,096 Posts

There's no mystery in being in the business of performing a service, or making a product. The better you do this, the more the customer base.
Making a special, or unique product, is the same as performing a service. It does not go hand in hand, that running a business for the benefit of others is always going to be enjoyable, and lots of times, it's downright miserable.
Unless you're making one unique item, only certain operations can be 'batched' for economy. Other operations have to be performed, nearly start-to-finish on a single item.
Assuming we have a predictable overhead, knowing exactly what our bills are going to be at the end of the week, month, whatever, it's pretty easy to know how much product or service we need to complete, in order to make a wage and sustain the business. Knowing how to do this is not easy, but the difference in knowing it, and doing it, is what makes some companies survive, and others (and lots of good) fail.
As Brian said previously, it's so important to manage your backlog. The size of the backlog gives you the flexibility to 'pick and choose' the work in order to meet your target. If the picking and choosing is all the easy work, then the backlog of difficult, or complex, work builds, and builds, and builds.
When we all send our guns to the chosen gunsmith, we may have a very good understanding of what he's going to do, including knowing how many hours, or days, it's going to take. How much additional time it takes is where we go off the rails. Until one of them says to me "I just didn't feel like working on your gun" I don't know how I'll react, but I hope I react better than I do when I hear the exact same thing, over and over. What we inevitably believe is the most recent promise is the real one, the one before that was one with good intentions, and the one before that, by default, became plain and simple BS (I'm trying very hard not to say 'Lie')
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #16
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

One of the problems is there are so few gunsmiths that specialize & do good work on our beloved Parkers. Because of this, the smiths that get the good reviews are swamped with work & turning customers away.

I've always suspected that they all for the most part have good intensions when they give us a time frame to have the work done, but I also know from experience that they very seldom hit the mark for their promised time frame. I just appreciate it when they do hit it.

Every now & then you get a pleasant surprise. I recently sent a set of Parker barrels to Kirk Merrington to have a lite bore clean-up hone. He wouldn't give me a time line until he saw the barrels. He received the barrels on a Monday, I waited to call him until that Friday to see if he had looked at the barrels. I was shocked when he told me he was packaging them for shipping back to me because he was done with the hone job. He said that I lucked out in that he got the barrels on the day he was starting to do a batch of hone jobs & he was able to include mine in the batch. He said if it had been a few days later it might have been a few months before he had put together another batch to do. Some times you just get lucky!!

IMO; We can all do these smiths a favor by taking a deep breath & being patient with them up to a point. Good work takes time & we aren't their only customer that wants our gun fixed right now. In the mean time grab one of your other guns and go enjoy it until the other one is done.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #17
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,062 Posts

I guess I'm naive, but I don't understand why it's so hard to schedule work and be up front about it. I had a loose rib on one of my guns and called a well-known smith about it; he really didn't even want to listen to me, just said "Send it to me; I have 4-5 of those to do and whenever I get around to it I'll do them all at once. No, I don't know when that will happen." Can you imagine an auto mechanic saying, "Park it here and whenever I get around to it I'll take a look." I sure couldn't get away with that in my business. Seems there's a bit of a prima donna syndrome at play when it comes to gunsmiths. And no, he didn't get my business, but I don't think he cared.
Unread 08-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #18
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

I called Larry the next day when he was in his shop as requested. I asked if my barrels had been finished and if my gun was ready yet. He told me that my barrels were done and the only thing not done was the trigger guard and it would be ready by mid week coming, he would assemble it and the gun would go out. He said to mail the payment now so gun could ship when it was ready, they do not except C/C payment. Check went out and I wait....(-: We also talked about my gun and he said it was real nice and suggested getting it back for light wood refinish and skeleton plate refinish and fix the plate screws, then it would be a new Parker less color case that he said NOT to do that, it looks antique and better as is. It was nice to talk not feeling rushed or blown off. If the gun comes as he said they will have had it 5 1/2 months.....I'm good with that. Fall bird hunting is close!, this will make a dandee shotgun for gunning doves and Kansas roosters. I have wanted a nice early D grade 16 for a long time as prices kept going up. Just could not find the right one as most of them are close to 7lbs or over. This one comes in at 6lbs-9oz with English grip, good stock dimensions and still has its skeleton plate. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've had some absolutely horrible work done on doubles over the years by local folks. Once had a german gun barrels that were left in the rust blue solution for apparently a few days to the point where they came out pitted all to hell. Then the smith carded them a few times and said they were what they were and that they arrived deeply pitted to start with (which there weren't in the least). Anyway, lesson learned on that one and a few others. I don't mind waiting in the que because quality work takes time and looks great in the end. Crappy work is just crappy work and it stands out like a thumb that's been cut off. I would however like to have a realistic time table provided up front. Falling into the FWIW, category, I've only one time had one gun returned prior to the up front provided delivery date.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
I sent Larry a DHE back the 1st of March for roll joint, repair/replace few bad screws, and barrels and guard blacking...thought it would be back in time for Hauseman's shoot in June. I called and it was not ready but he did say couple more weeks, waiting on the barrels. It seems to be a long wait and September is close. Anyone else had longer than normal waits?? I hope all is well there. SXS Ohio
I received the DHE-16 back today 8/19/19 ...about 5-1/2 months. I am happy to get it back in time for fall hunting. Larry did a wonderful job with the roll joint, gun is tight as new! The rust blue barrels and new screws look great too, engraved perfectly to match other good screws. This is now one sweet DHE-16 6lbs-9oz. I will add some pictures soon as I can...SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote