Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 07-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #11
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I have had an urge to buy a 8ga but then I figured why?? I can't use it for duck hunting, plus reloading gear is a big expense. Tens are easy to reload for and factory ammo is now available from RST. I have had two 6 frame 10's one hammer and one hammerless. I decided to keep the hammer gun and let the hammerless go. They are beasts for sure and I have killed ducks with both. The 10 I like best and is a little more manageable in the blind is a #3 frame 10ga with 34" damascus barrels, sweet!!
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I have had an urge to buy a 8ga but then I figured why?? I can't use it for duck hunting, plus reloading gear is a big expense. Tens are easy to reload for and factory ammo is now available from RST. I have had two 6 frame 10's one hammer and one hammerless. I decided to keep the hammer gun and let the hammerless go. They are beasts for sure and I have killed ducks with both. The 10 I like best and is a little more manageable in the blind is a #3 frame 10ga with 34" damascus barrels, sweet!!
I don't waterfowl hunt but we have alot of nice turkey hunting here In south georgia and 8 gauge is legal for turkey . I have owned 5 10 gauges so far , I love the 10 gauge . The 8 gauge is just one of those dream guns I've been wanting for years . RST is working on 8 gauge loads right now actually .

Are you shooting bismuth in your 10 ga ?
I thought of trying to find a #6 framed 10 ga but I bet they go for more than the 8 ga #6 framed.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I consigned my #6 Frame NH 10ga 32" to Poulin Auctions in ME, October 2019 sale.
Very interesting RST is considering the 8ga that would really be something!!
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I consigned my #6 Frame NH 10ga 32" to Poulin Auctions in ME, October 2019 sale.
Very interesting RST is considering the 8ga that would really be something!!
Yeah I asked them if they was interested in doing a production run of 8 gauge ammo if like as a group buy and they told me they were already in the middle of doing R&D on a 8 gauge lineup . But they were having problems keeping the pressures down . I told them they should try and consult with Tom Armburst .
Just the fact of having some new shotshell boxes marked 8 ga would be exciting in itself to me . I also told them they would probably sell well in the UK considering the guys over there who still use 8 gauges for wild fowling loaded up with bismuth .

RST Classic Shotshell Co.
8:03 AM (6 hours ago)

to me

We are actually in the process of adding them to our line. But, the pressures are still just too high. They rock your jaw.
Stay tuned.

Thank you,
Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

There are some 8 gauge Bismuth shells floating around if you look hard enough. No one is shooting them, just trading them around the double gun market.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #16
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
There are some 8 gauge Bismuth shells floating around if you look hard enough. No one is shooting them, just trading them around the double gun market.
I bet RST will include a bismuth load when they release their 8 gauge lineup .
Though I dont see any reason to buy it since we cant shoot migratory birds with 8 gauges . Which I think is a law that should be adjusted here in Georgia because we now have a non migratory goose population .

I read that parkers made 10 ga 3.5 magnums along with Ithaca as a joint venture with olin ? I have never seen a parker 10 ga 3.5 . Theres a nid mag 10 for sale but the chokes are listed as .010 . That sounds like someone bored the chokes out a bit to me ?
Unread 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Milton, a recent post told of a #6 frame ten. There is where your search begins. Mag ten Ithacas are not too expensive and easy to find. The Ithacas and the Berettas are equally great guns in my experience. An original 3 1/2" chambered fluid steel Parker is the holy grail of waterfowl guns useful in today's world.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Milton, a recent post told of a #6 frame ten. There is where your search begins. Mag ten Ithacas are not too expensive and easy to find. The Ithacas and the Berettas are equally great guns in my experience. An original 3 1/2" chambered fluid steel Parker is the holy grail of waterfowl guns useful in today's world.
Probably outside my price range , I'm currently saving and plan on staying under 5k . I have found 2 ithaca nid magnums well under that and a silver hawk. One of the Ithaca has .010 chokes , that's sounds very open perhaps someone bored them out . Are the Ithaca mid mags safe for non tox shot though ? I know they are considered collectible and the silver hawks not so much .
Unread 07-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #19
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I have found 2 ithaca nid magnums well under that and a silver hawk. One of the Ithaca has .010 chokes , that's sounds very open perhaps someone bored them out .
You can tell for sure by the numbers on the stamped on the barrels near the barrel flats. 4 was full choke, 3 IM, 2 mod, 1 IC and 0 was cylinder.

My guess they were opened to shoot steel.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
You can tell for sure by the numbers on the stamped on the barrels near the barrel flats. 4 was full choke, 3 IM, 2 mod, 1 IC and 0 was cylinder.

My guess they were opened to shoot steel.
Weird thing about that particular gun is it weighs a little more than the nid mag that hasn't had the choke bored .
I was wondering if it would considered sacrilege to have briley put tubes rated for non tox shot in a nid , specifically the tungsten rated chokes .