Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

It looks like a challenging time for the end of the year. The weather in Kansas has made the traveling around the back roads interesting. Areas we want hunt you can't get to. I walked a half mile just to get to a field to find few birds. However, the moisture is really needed although maybe not this early.

Ken
Ken,

Thanks for the report from Kansas. It's interesting how much time and energy can go into just getting to a place to hunt under conditions like we are having now. Still, we go. It sure makes those few golden days when all things seem right feel like they are heaven sent. I'll leave it to others to decide where the terrible days originate.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Brett,

I'm glad to read that you have been able to get out...and find birds. It sure makes the future look good when a pup shows promise. It's easier to live through the off season when you are looking forward to the next phase of your pup's development. Got any pictures of Buzzy?
Garry

Yes I have more pictures of Buzzy than of my second child. But I need one of my kids to help me with posting pictures, and they don't visit all that often.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard, great pics. I didn't know there are hunting preserves in Anchorage now. When I was stationed there back in 92-94, I lamented the lack of bird hunting. Now that I am strongly considering a move back, I was lamenting again that I won't be able to do much bird hunting. Good to know there is now a preserve in Alaska!
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Dean,
How often do you find yourself lamenting changes for the worse in matters relating to hunting opportunities? I read similar lamentations in sporting books from past generations of sporting authors. It makes one wonder what the next generations will find...or even if they will care.

Practically speaking, there is no comparison. Aside from the biological disappearance of pheasants, habitat loss would have done it nearly as quickly. Most farmland has been sold off to developers for industry, retail, and housing developments. When I drive along the streets of towns in the area where I grew up it is difficult to imagine they were once strongholds for a diversity of upland game and property owners back then were more than happy to allow hunting as long as respect was shown for the landowner and his livestock and equipment.
Most towns and cities in eastern Massachusetts have outlawed the discharge of firearms today with more following suit every year. Mid-state and the western part of the state haven't suffered these problems so much but Massachusetts politics and urban mores will eventually overrun the entire state one day.

I get to go back only in my memories these days and when I want to hunt unencumbered like in the old days, I drive a couple of hours to Vermont or Maine where, just like in the 50's and 60's in Mass., I can be hunting when I step out the door on a frosty morning...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2019, 01:27 AM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

"I didn't know there are hunting preserves in Anchorage now."

There were a couple of preserves for a few years but they're both defunct now, unfortunately. RGS was active in southern AK for a while though and did some enhancement projects both south and north of Anchorage. They actually live captured ruffies from around the Clear/Anderson area north of the AK Range and transplanted them to the Palmer area NE of Anchorage. They've done OK last I heard. I participated in the population monitoring a couple of times.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I get to go back only in my memories these days and when I want to hunt unencumbered like in the old days, I drive a couple of hours to Vermont or Maine where, just like in the 50's and 60's, I can be hunting when I step out the door on a frosty morning...
I'm glad you still have places you can go...and your memories.

Where we live more and more fence rows are being bulldozed, and more fescue planted. Much land is tied up by leasing deer hunters (although CWD is dampening some of that activity). Still, the population in the two most northerly tier of counties in Missouri has a population lower than it did in 1900. We are part of the flyover lands...thank God(!).
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
Pa. Parker Pal
Forum Associate

Member Info

It seems the lost of pheasant habitat went from east to west as what I read on this excellent site. I grew up in the lehigh valley section of east central Pa. In the late sixties and seventies there was plently of native and stocked birds. Now it"s mostly put and take but I still enjoyit with my new two year old brit. Between the state stocked birds and birds stocked by the clubs I belong to I still had a nice fall bird season. I guess you have to take the oppurtunities given. Unfortunetly we had to put my other Brit of 14 years down 3 weeks ago, He was a great dog and will be sorely missed. Thanks to all members and associates.
nick balzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick balzano View Post
It seems the lost of pheasant habitat went from east to west as what I read on this excellent site. I grew up in the lehigh valley section of east central Pa. In the late sixties and seventies there was plently of native and stocked birds. Now it"s mostly put and take but I still enjoyit with my new two year old brit. Between the state stocked birds and birds stocked by the clubs I belong to I still had a nice fall bird season. I guess you have to take the oppurtunities given. Unfortunetly we had to put my other Brit of 14 years down 3 weeks ago, He was a great dog and will be sorely missed. Thanks to all members and associates.
Nick, sorry to learn of your older Brittany, but you have still have a companion dog to roam the fields and coverts with, so you are blessed. And no one can take your memories of those times when birds were more plentiful from you.
Unread 02-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #19
Pa. Parker Pal
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mobirdhunter: Thank you for your kind words they were greatly appreciated by both my wife and myself
nick balzano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nick balzano For Your Post: