Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 05-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Here's my take on the challenge and there are others who agree. I said this to Mark Conrad 15 years ago so if you want more shooters you might want to consider adopting a Lewis class system. Lets say you want a squad of 10 shooters then make it two or three of the caliber of say John Truit, then a couple more that aren't A or AA class shooters then the final third your class C or D shooters. This would give more people a chance to make "The team" therefore increasing the number of participants. It should also be limited to original guns, no choke tubes non original barrels etc.

IMHO (and I have NO stake in this it's just an observation) that this has become more about winning and less about the guns and the organizations behind them. I looked at team Parker's winning squad and didn't recognize half of the names. The web site listed them as Forum Members so how fortunate that they signed up as members at Deep River for Parker. A team shooter should have to have been a member of their respective organization for at least 6 months prior to the shoot. You want more shooters what will it hurt to give it a try?
Unread 05-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Very good points Rich
Mills is in charge of the rules on our side.
I think its all about winning and has been for years.
Question:
What the hell is an original Parker? I'm not sure I own one.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

For the purposes of this thread, I think it can be defined as 'a Parker shotgun originally manufactured in Meriden or in Illion though may not be in its original finish or configuration.'

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

There are bigger issues at hand than the definition of an original gun.

First: It is about winning!!!! Don't be fooled, Team LC goes out there every year to clean our clock. They want to win. There is nothing wrong with winning. In fact it should be our goal as well. NO one is saying it cannot and is not done in a gentlemanly fashion. No one is saying it should be done at the expense of the organization/ etc. I know my words are not going to do my thoughts justice but it is not wrong to want to or to attempt to win and have our team be successful.
Please remember Parker and Smith have been rivals for a long time. And I am not talking about the organizations. The companies were business rivals back in the day. They sponsored shooters. Do you think they did not want their shooter to win?

Second: we are all forgetting that in the end the entry fees go to charity. So why should we limit those wanting to sign up. The more sign up and participate the more money that goes to charity.
Those refusing to participate, well not helping anyone for charity.

Third: Who cares when someone signs up or renews their membership? We want the organization to grow. Why be elitist and decline those willing to participate? "you have not been a member long enough. Your gun is not original enough." May be they just bought their first parker at the southern and now can participate. Maybe this was their first opportunity to join or participate or purchase a Parker. Maybe watching our shooters and talking to our members got them interested. We should not be turning them or anyone away.

The organizations and the rules are not perfect. But nothing will be. We will not be able to please everyone. So far I would say the Challenge is a temendous success. I hope that it continues to be so for many many years to come. I hope I can continue to be a part of it and will do what ever I can to help it continue to be successful and help the PGCA and Team Parker.

I am all for open and honest debate and discussion. And no one should be refused or stopped from the ability to express their thoughts/ views etc. Even though I disagree with a lot being expressed in this thread, I am glad we can discuss it and debate it. I may disagree with you but I will respect your right to your opinion and to voice your opinion. But what is wrong is to start rumors and spread mis information. If no one points this out and gives facts the false information will become reality.
When I get home I will post info about the shooters on Team Parker this past year. Just because one person does not recognize their names/ faces does not have any bearing on their membership and commitment to the organization. We were blessed with a tremendous team this past Southern. I think it is wrong to despairingly talk about them and make insinuating comments that are just not accurate.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Team Parker 2017: (in order seen in team picture):
1. Brian Bradey: (from MD, has been on the team several years in a row now. Won HOA in the hammer challenge last year. shoots his grandfathers original 410 at the 410 events, owns his own business. Youngest member on the team this year. His dad by the way shoots for Team LC Smith. so Brian is always under attack but always sticks with a Parker)
2. Mike Koneski: (from PA, been on the team several times, fantastic shot. Runs a sporting clays course in PA, needs no introduction, we are lucky to have Mike fighting on our side).
3. Don Shumaker: (from Mississippi, retired college professor and now in the dairy business. Don is a duel member of PGCA and LCSCA. Don has been shooting this event since its beginning and winning high gun many many times. You can check your past Parker Pages on this. We are fortunate that he has chosen to shoot for us for the past few years. Don is a true southern gentleman.)
4. Dr Richard Lehew: (from VA, a retired orthodontist. Doc has been on the team several times over the past few years. He has fought hard thru all kinds of health issues. He is now 80 years old (turned 80 two weeks after the southern) and shooting strong. If we all could only be so fortunate)
5. Dr Chuck Devinne: (from NH, a practicing vet. Chuck is well known in the shooting community and esp side by side community. He told me at the 2016 Vintage Gunners Cup that he finally bought a Parker and would be trying out come this spring as it looked like everyone was having so much fun. Again we are very very fortunate Chuck is shooting a Parker)
6. Malcom MacGregor: (from some where up North. I don't know where I forgot. Mal is a phenomenal shooter. both rifles and shotguns/ drillings/ etc. He has won the Oscar Gady award several times with his trusty hammergun)
8. Danny Patton: (from Va, a retired forester, a retired stock maker and wood man. Fantastic shot. Also been on the team previously. Danny is a Parker man)
9. Dave Fjelline: (from California, a retired professional hunter. Everyone knows Dave aka Champ. No has only one good eye, that is the reason for the sights on his barrels. He over came this handicap to continue shooting and kicking butt)
10. Brian Hornacek: (all the way from Candada!!!!!!!!, well known on this forum. Needs no introduction)

I am pretty certain all are active members and have been so for quite a while. Some might have renewed membership at the Southern. I can only think of one that might have needed to sign up as a new member. But again I don't see why that is an issue or maters.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Hornacek??
Forget about being a PGCA member. I'm not sure if he's a US citizen. In fact I think he is from Canada.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #17
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M. Purtill View Post
Hornacek??
Forget about being a PGCA member. I'm not sure if he's a US citizen. In fact I think he is from Canada.
Hey George I have been told I am loosing the Ohio accent and picking up a few "eh's" and "you betcha's. 8 1/2 months or less and I will be back in Findlay Ohio traveling to more shoots! Looking forward building more friendships and shooting "better" in the future for team Parker!!
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Hornacek ain't no Canuck ...hes a Newfoundlander!!! I seen him here walking/falling on the barrens ,falling in the woods and missing grouse ...drinking whisky & lighting bonfires on Guy Fawkes night ,eating fish and chips ...he even drank a Jockey Club and an India !!!.
Last I seen him getting on a plane with a seal pelt strung over his shoulder !

I don't know why you would even entertain letting him across the border let alone shoot for team Parker ...I mean, fer #$%^ sakes !!!!
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Chris, you're killin me

Did he club his own seal or did he buy that pelt at a Seal Cove souvenir shop?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #20
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

He bought it actually ....but we looked real,real hard for the right one,he even postponed his flight ...just ask him
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post: