Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 02-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
Bill Kekatos
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you
Did you do a complete restoration or just the wood cleanup? Did you have the checkering recut too? Can you share who did the work?
BillK
Bill Kekatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill, when you have to remove oil from a stock it almost always means refinishing the wood. I do most of my own restoration work and have been at it for 45 years. If you chose to remove oil via the oven start at 150 and bring the temp. up slowly as needed. The goal here is to evaporate the oil not add patina to the wood. When the wood appears completely dry ( no wet residue ), you've gone as far as you can go. Murphys Soap is good for cleaning wood if you are going to refinish the wood. If you want to preserve the original finish and just remove dirt and Pledge then I believe you will find Woollite much more benign to your stock and forend. For best results, patience is encouraged and a wife who will share the oven with you. Craig
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
oil soaked stock
Unread 02-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #23
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default oil soaked stock

After stripping the stock I apply Easy Off oven cleaner let it soak in and after two hours scrub with hot water & dish detergent let dry,I used Brownells oil remover but like the Easy Off. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James J. Roberts For Your Post:
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #24
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jim, Easy Off may have no side affects that damages the wood, I don't know, but I'm confident that heating the wood thus opening the pores removes more oil with less potential damage than chemical solvents. Just my view, Craig.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I learned this trick from George Flaim many years ago, But I also wanted to open the pores so I could re shellac the Parker colors back into the wood.(a Filler) you should only use flake shellac, the orange was what George found out from an old Parker employee many years ago. You can fill the pores with the orange shellac after the pores have been opened to change the color back to what Parker used as a filler, and as a stain. I think we old timers that remember George will recall his stocks were hard to tell from the original Parker colors.
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The wood was completely refinished and the checkering recut. Kip Wood at Central Michigan Gunsmithing did the work. He has done work for others here. Send me a PM and I'll give you his phone number.