Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Hammer Ejector
Unread 03-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Hammer Ejector

Did any of the American gun makers make an ejector hammer gun? I have never heard of one it would be something to see a parker hammer ejector.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,551 Times in 4,623 Posts

This is all related to Parkers and their mechanisms. But I would think the same could apply to other American hammer gun makers. At least sidelock hammer guns.

I have put some thought to what it may take. The installation of ejector forend and ejector barrels on a hammer frame is straight forward, but what is more tricky would be the ejector trippers. Getting Something designed to activate the trigger the ejectors out the front of the frame and be driven by the hammers would be tricky.

Obviously you could make it so that the shells eject all the time, this making the ejectors non-selective. But who wants that?

Also you have the factor that if designed the same way that a hammerless gun is (by way of trips), the shells would eject every time when the hammers are un-cocked. But, there are plenty of times when hammers are uncocked on a hammer gun and the shells are still live. Thus you not wanting to have the shells eject of you open the gun at that time.
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was thinking about this the other day too, non selective ejectors might be OK. I have an old H&R single shot, if you open the gun easily you can let the barrels hang free without tripping the ejector and it acts as an extractor, but if you snap it open the shell ejects. I have a set of Titanic steel barrels (with ejector for end) I'm saving for a rainy day hammer gun project, I've been thinking about all this stuff while I'm waiting for the right gun.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

I'll be the first to admit that with gloves on it is a huge pain to try to grasp just the rim of a spent or even live shell from the breech of an extractor gun. A mechanism that pops the shells up at least enough to get a better grip on them would be nice. Even on my ejector guns I never allow the shells to just fly out of the gun - I always grab them before they fly.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,551 Times in 4,623 Posts

You just need a Loader Dean. That and a two gun set. No need to ever pull shells from the gun.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!