Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Third times the charm
Unread 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default Third times the charm

I was originally going to call this thread "no suppositories required"

but third times the charm works better - first the story (a little long winded)- then some pictures (several of them) -

The first time the gun and I met was back in October as my wife and I went through an antique show we try to attend each year, I saw a nice looking double barrel muzzle loader in the back of a booth, almost too nice. It wore good engraving with decent coverage, nice color on the metal and great wood. I thought it may have been newly built, but the dealer let me pull the barrels and there they were - correct Birmingham proofs circa 1850's or 60's and marked as a 15 gauge. and the inside of the foreend wood showed some age, so I figured it was a total refinsh, but very well done.

I liked the gun, but there was no name, not on the locks or the top rib. I considered that odd for a good quality gun and so I took a couple snap shots with the phone and told him I would think about about it. I have looked at those pictures several times since and have often wondered if I had made a mistake walking away

Then a few weeks ago, I saw the same dealer at a local gun show- he was in the process of covering his table, leaving immediately due to an emergency according to a friend of mine who was helping him put away his stuff. On the end of the table - just being covered was that same 15 gauge percussion shotgun. A quick looked confirmed it, but the dealer was on his way out. My friend told me he could get the gun set aside if I was sure - but I wasn't, since I had not taken any measurements

Then came the third time, just this last weekend. After brunch, my wife and I drove out to a antique shop we like and know the owner causally. It is a ways away, and we had not been there in a couple months. We exchanged greetings with the owner and wandered about the shop. Then I heard a voice I recognized and there was the fellow who owned the gun talking to the shop's owner. Tom, the shop owner introduced us and I asked about the gun, yes, he still had it - but had someone wanted to put a deposit on it, but he would rather sell it out right. I told him I would call him, and I did. It turned out - due to family obligations on each side, we would both be in the same general area this weekend. The meeting was set, I took a couple measurements and traded an envelope for the gun

It was proofed as a 15 gauge- which is ideally .677 inside diameter. it is just a few thousands bigger now, no doubt from a clean up during the refinishing. The wood finish and the checkering is crisp. the metal finish is good. The gun weighs 6 1/4 pounds on my chatillon scale, 29 1/2 barrels that do not look have been cut. Wall thickness is about 45 thousands as far as i can measure. Blow out plugs and incredibly shootable dimensions LOP 14 1/2 DOC 1 3/8 DOH 1 5/8

Sure do wish I knew who made this, I assume it was made in Birmingham to be resold by a provincial shop. But someone should have put their name on this nice of a gun.
Unread 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

the pictures -

Unread 02-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

mighty nice piece and the 3 rd time must be the charm...you were meant to look after this gun awhile to many accidental happenings...would make a fine deer gun....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

That's a great find Rick. What an exciting chase!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,410 Times in 1,320 Posts

Seems like you and that gun are meant to be together
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow Rick great find and nice looking gun.

I used a vintage percussion 14 gauge percussion German sxs last year for dove. What a hoot.
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KCordell For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

As you have discovered, the metal bits began in Birmingham. Quite probably the wood too. But who finished it up, and where is the cypher. Thankfully the the resto was responsibly done and quite nice. A gun to be proud of!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe the plugs on the side of the barrels are made of platinum? Can someone validate this? As I was informed, they are "supposed" to blow out if there is a significant amount of pressure? Generally, the lower quality guns did not have this feature.
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
As you have discovered, the metal bits began in Birmingham. Quite probably the wood too. But who finished it up, and where is the cypher. Thankfully the the resto was responsibly done and quite nice. A gun to be proud of!
thanks John- i know it is unlikely to be solved- the only other clue is the word? Name? TENT struck on the underside of the one tube - there is a ghost that may be another letter in front of that. but if is is a name, I would guess it to be the barrel finisher
Unread 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCordell View Post
I believe the plugs on the side of the barrels are made of platinum? Can someone validate this? As I was informed, they are "supposed" to blow out if there is a significant amount of pressure? Generally, the lower quality guns did not have this feature.
yes, those are platinum blow out plugs, and yes - generally a sign of a better gun.

My 14 bore is a decent grade some engraving , "fine London Twist" barrels but as nicely as it is finished- no plugs