Notices

Another day closer..........
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Another day closer..........

Closer to what, you ask. Closer to whatever is coming our way that remains unknown to us but is inevitable. I like to think of it as another day closer to "the opener", which makes it another day closer for the final closer for the waterfowl destined to become "duck a l'orange". Ma Nature sure puts on a show for us though, as we contemplate the meaning behind it all.

Cheers,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x4.jpg (174.5 KB, 5 views)
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hoot Mon! I spend the better part of 10 MONTHS waiting for the opportunity to chase the ever elusive Ruffed Grouse. I only wish that I could make it through the late fall temperatures when the foliage has diminished significantly and visibility is pert near infinite (by Minnesota dense forest standards, that is). I always enjoyed sunset at sea, especially if I had a chance to catch the 'Green Flash'. As always, Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The two best places to spend a sunrise or sunset is in either a duck blind or a deer blind. I enjoyed a beautifull sunset on the Zambezi River that was none to shabby but that certainly isn't an everyday occurrance.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Africa is on my bucket list. Your younger "sister" has decided it needs to be checked off the list, soo..... Over the month of November, she and I will wander from Nairobi, Kenya to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. She has made all the arrangements. Wait until I tell her she forgot the Zambezi - maybe another trip, if we survive this one. The camera will be getting a real workout.

I do remember sunrises witnessed while waiting for the ducks and geese to head out for breakfast. I'm now a "lazy" hunter. Haven't seen many sunrises in the field over the past couple decades but every time out, I watch the sunset and then do the half hour countdown, if I'm short a rooster or two. Can't count how many times that last half hour has filled the bag for the day.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

A little motivation for you Jack...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc. Pics 170.jpg (494.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Misc. Pics 149.JPG (385.1 KB, 4 views)
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc Retallack For Your Post:
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Marc. Yep, they are on the agenda, along with as many species as we can get close to. Daughter has been a giraffe nut forever, which was the spark on her end to get on with this adventure sooner than later. What lens were you using? How close were you getting to the animals? Motivation is setting in alright - just have to deal with roosters for the month of October and then give them a go again in December, if I can still hike after a month through lion country.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack

Space was a consideration on the trip, so I left my film SLR and lenses at home. I was using a simple Sony DSC-H5 point-and-shoot with it's 12x Zeiss lens. Distance on the lions was maybe 100yds +/-. I was on horseback for the shot on the wildebeest which seemed to put them more at ease. Maybe 50-60yds.

A couple more. The top is a sunset in the Matopos region of Zimbabwe. Also, one for your daughter. Sorry about the quality. That little fella wouldn't let me closer than a couple hundred yds so my lens was maxed. Finally, game bird storage, native style (Apologies again. I couldn't use a flash in the hut and the shutter speed was awfully slow.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc. Pics 324.JPG (105.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Misc. Pics 355.JPG (315.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Misc. Pics 183 (2).JPG (434.2 KB, 3 views)
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc Retallack For Your Post:
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for the pics. She will be thrilled to see the giraffes up close and personal, especially the young ones. I thought about leaving the heavy camera gear at home, but... then I thought this is likely a once in a lifetime trip, so the gear has it's own backpack (won't bother with a tripod). I'll take a pocket camera, and two Canon backs so I don't have to change the lenses. The two going are 100-400 and 17-85. I'll go light on clothing (except good boots). Any advice on any aspect of spending a month in Africa will be appreciated. Some of the nights are in tents (but from what I have seen in pics, these tents would beat a Motel 6 or Super 8 room.) She has it organized that all the game drives are just the two of us with a local driver/guide.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

When I have hunted in Africa you only needed a couple days clothing and yesterdays laundry is washed, pressed and laid out on your bed when you get back to camp. Camp will have hot and cold running water and a flush toilet complete with shower.

Take extra batteries for the camera as they are VERY hard to find. I assume your going on a photo safari and not taking a rifle

Kenya was THE hunting destination for East Africa. The Norfolk Hotel in Nariobi has seen it's share of famous hunters such as Raurk, Hemingway, O'Connor, Kings, Princes and Presidents grace its doors. It was a wild and crazy place back in the day. Tanzania is the Alaska of Africa very few roads and everything just about is flown in. Its the most expensive country to hunt in Africa.

If I ever come into a wad of cash a 30 day safari to Tanzania would be the crown jewel to my hunting sorties.

You'll have a wonderfull time..tell sis I'm so jealous
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'll let her know. Yes, photo safari. I would be forever exiled from the family if I were to take any animal. As a kid, that was a dream but I'm happy enough now to just view.

Cheers,
Jack