Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Forum Ramblings
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Forum Ramblings

Not my forum. Do what you want.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Michael K. Burnley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Bruce, I don't do a lot of posting on here, but I do a lot of reading. I like guns, mainly shotguns. When I joined the PGCA I didn't even own a Parker, now I have two. I went to the Southern this past weekend and shot both of them and had a ball. But back to your post, some people are going to join because they just enjoy it, others will not as long as they can use it for free. From what I've read some people just end up with a shotgun that they have no use for and they just want to find out how much it's worth so they can sell it. I don't know what the fix would be as far as getting people to join. All I can say is that I joined it, I use it and I enjoy it.
Thanks, Mike
Michael K. Burnley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael K. Burnley For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I joined the AH Fox Collectors so I could get to the "AHFCA Members only section" of their (our) BBS. We could do the same thing here. Not a recommendation, just a free idea.

When correcting beginnerss mistakes here we could be overly tactful and careful with our words. Those among us that just can't be overly tactful could refrain from correcting the new forum members errors until the beginner feels he is part of the group.

If we want people to join we want to be friendly and helpful to them, especially when they are just getting started. Stating the obvious there are two different memberships, the BBS membership and the PGCA membership. It would seem the first would sometimes lead to the second.

The PGCA is the largest and most successful of the American shotgun collectors associations as is.

Best,

Mike
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Shepherd For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,338 Times in 12,404 Posts

We PGCA Members know that there are some terrific benefits that come with the very reasonable $40 annual membership like the automatic subscription to Parker Pages, the Guns For Sale page of the forum and a few other forum pages as well. We also have the Membership Roster with addresses and contact information of those wishing to participate in sharing this imformation. We also share the benefit of being recognized by other PGCA Members as being PGCA Members ourselves, which keeps us in a certain "loop".
I think we can add other "PGCA Members Only" forum pages but I think we need to be careful because if we begin to exclude others and limit the number of forum 'accesses' then we stand the risk of being known as an "exclusive" club. We've been there before and I don't think we can afford that again.... being thought of and spoken of as "a club of elitists who refuse to share information" or "a bunch of nose-in-the-air Parker snobs who don't like outsiders".
I think we need to allow ourselves to be "used" but only to an extent. Research letters are more expensive to non-PGCA Members and there are other ways we can encourage Forum Members and lurkers to become PGCA Members so lets put our heads together and try to come up with some amicable ways of doing it.

JM$.02
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

And John, could you kindly move this thread to the "PGCA Members Only" section of the forum?
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i guess im one of the forem ramblers your talking about bruce.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie, I'd like to see you join. I have to tell you, the Parker Pages is first rate and you would enjoy it. How can we get you to join? Plus you get the secret handshake and decoder ring.

Plus you get to join an exclusive club and become one of the elite. Those Marlin Bolt Action Goose Gun Club boys, they let anybody join.
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
And John, could you kindly move this thread to the "PGCA Members Only" section of the forum?

Why?
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Charlie, you are a valuable part of this forum like several others are. We would love to have you as a PGCA Member so you could fully enjoy all the benefits.

Your post is a prime example of how some might feel slighted or singled out by the PGCA becoming "Exclusive".

Best to You Charlie,
Dean
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Why?
Because, Bruce, it should have been started over there. Anything involving setting policy should be decided among those who set policy and by engouraging PGCA Members to offer thoughts and opinions on just how to do it... you know that - after all, you were a member of the BOD.

Best, Dean