Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Edward Hamm
Forum Associate

Member Info

What info I could find on the Italian marks are that it was proofed at a company named Gardone & Brescia, with their marks for "definitive proof" and "Finish proof", but nothing about pressures, or loads or whatever. The roman numerals might indicate the barrels were made in 1960? The barrel marks look to indicate the barrels are 20 gauge and that they narrow down .5mm (.02 inch). If I'm right it looks like the gun was made into a skeet gun????
Edward Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

This might help a bit. 1 star over PSF means it is proofed to 1200KG/CM the 2 star over PSF indicate 1370kg/CM Italian changed their proof to the higher standard in 1962 I believe. What the above means is the gun was proofed at less then SAAMI load level. I almost bought a Italian Hammer gun about a year ago. It was also proofed with the single star over the PSF. I was going to use it for a turkey gun and wanted the ability to shoot standard SAAMI loads out of it and decided (based on how it was proofed) not to purchase the gun.

Here's a link on the discussion a started before on another forum. You might find it helpful. Tom

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...=199239&page=1
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Edward Hamm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom, thanks for the link. A lot of info in it. Also interesting to read on some of the other general shotgun groups, the changes done to this gun in general seem to be held as "good things", making a gun in general a better, or safer, gun to shoot. I assume to the Parker Brothers enthusiasts however, these changes detract from the gun...at least in $$ value. I have an inquiry in to Simmons to try and find out is since it is their vent. rib on the gun, if their company might have done some of the other work on it (or did they possibly sell their ribs to other companies)...it would seem to make sense to me to do all the barrel work...whether re-sleeve or new barrels, and the rib at the same time. On their web site, it looks like they generally did the work themselves as far as the ribs go, and at least today, they also do new barrels...and rather pricy in my mind...according to their price list, a new set of barrels, with vent rib, bluing, etc, would set you back about $2500-$3000.

Again, I'd ask if anyone would be willing to throw out a ball-park estimate of value on my gun...I guess it would be "re-placement value" for my insurance.
What's it worth?
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,554 Times in 380 Posts

Default What's it worth?

Your little Parker was made in 1911 and it had 26" Damascus steel barrels when it left the factory. It was one of 8607 grade 3 or "D" guns, in all gauges, that were made with Damascus barrels. (Although the grade section of the Parker story on page 291 says there are only 7032 with Damascus steel barrels.) However, there were only 44 20 gauge Parkers made with 26" Damascus barrels and only 129 total 20 gauge DH guns made with Damascus steel barrels.
That trigger looks just like one that was on a 1960's version of a Zoli SxS Model 145/2 that I had.
My guess is that the owner was in the military and in Europe when this sleeving and proofing was done in Italy.

That gun, had it been original would be worth around $7500-$9500, but that's gone now.

My guess is, as a shooter, it would be worth around $2000.
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,550 Times in 4,623 Posts

Other shotgun guys might tell you that the work done to the barrels is better overall, and a lot more would have told you that 20 or 30 years ago when that work was originally done. With the work done, the barrels could most likely handle any factory load that you wanted to put to it.
However, today the whole scare of Damascus barrels in shotgun circles is not really there. With the low pressure loads that are available, and plus additional knowledge. As a shooter, your gun is boosted in "value" due tot he barrel work. But as a collectors piece it is non-existent.
That barrel work would cost about $2 - $3k today. And there are not many doing it anymore.
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

There is no accurate figure of DHE Damascus 20s produced, but it is real small. One in high condition could bring over ten grand. We see many examples of such guns that have had their collector value lost by owners who just wanted to shoot them.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Who really cares what it's 'worth'. Enjoy it. It's a nice little gun that your uncle would appreciate knowing it's in the hands of someone who will shoot it. Forget about all the the 'Woulda, Coulda and Shouldas out there.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Edward Hamm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all the info. The only reason for wanting to know a value was for insurance. My home owners only covers my guns on a "rider", so if I want it covered I need to list a reasonable replacement value. I shot it yesterday, and it shoots nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward Hamm For Your Post: