Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 12-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #11
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Some time back, I was informed on this site that there are more than one variation of the Sporting Clays Classic choke installation. One variation seems to have more flare than the one pictured here. The one pictured here shows very little or no flare. The other variation shows a very visible flare. They may have been a very early SCC, maybe a prototype.
Once upon a time, a long, long, long, long time ago, I heard that that if a person hears something enough, something that has been repeated over and over and over again, so much so they start believing it themselves -- and then they go on repeating it . . . and then others that have heard it go on repeating it . . . things such as a very visible flare or bulging to a Sporting Clays Classic's muzzles comes to mind.

Bill, would you please post a pic of any SCC with a very flared muzzle? (Oh, that's right you're unable to post pics. ) So, at the very least, please refer us to a link on this site that documents an SCC with a very flared muzzle and I'll start believing it, too. Until then, I believe you're dreaming.
Unread 12-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #12
David C Porter
PGCA Member

Member Info

With a 12" straight edge I show about 1/16" gap. Just looking at it you really don't notice the barrel flare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231218_123817.jpg (467.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20231218_123630.jpg (473.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20231218_123625.jpg (479.4 KB, 6 views)
David C Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David C Porter For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2023, 04:49 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Greg, all I know is that, many moons ago, I was offered, face to face, an SCC that had a muzzle flare that I could not live with. I don't have pictures and I don't have the gun. I just know I wanted an SCC and couldn't live with the flare. If I were offered an SCC today without a bulge, I would jump on it. By the way, this has been discussed here before and posters much more experienced than I discussed the two different varieties of SCC. The pictured SCC is very nice with no apparent flare. I would love to add that gun to my Repro collection.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #14
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
***Snip*** By the way, this has been discussed here before and posters much more experienced than I discussed the two different varieties of SCC. ***Snip***
Bill, would you please lead me, via a link if you're able, to one of those discussions where the two different varieties of the SCC were discussed?
Unread 12-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Greg, I love your essay that combines humor with sarcasm with a bit of irony injected. Of course I can't give you the link you requested. The point I made was that I once "did not buy" a SCC because of the muzzle area of the barrels. That point has nothing to do with our conversation or your gun. Again, your SCC is beautiful and I would love to own it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #16
Chuck Loveless
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just purchased a SCC and it came with 6 chokes. Did yours come with all that you show in the case? BTW beautiful block for the chokes, I'll be making one to hold my chokes . Thanks
Chuck Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Loveless For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2024, 12:41 PM   #17
David C Porter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I got the block idea from Wild Skies, but added the top cover. They came with 6 chokes. I added a few extras
David C Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2024, 01:32 PM   #18
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Loveless View Post
I just purchased a SCC and it came with 6 chokes. Did yours come with all that you show in the case? BTW beautiful block for the chokes, I'll be making one to hold my chokes . Thanks
Like David, I purchased additional chokes to the six that were included from the factory. In addition to the tubes I listed in my initial post, I also purchased 2-Cyl and 2-XF tubes -- making for a complete set of Winchester Winchoke Type III tubes available for the SCC. So, instead of requiring 50 fixed choke guns to equal the versatility of just one Sporting Clays Classic, it would add so much more additional versatility that it would likely require a warehouse to store all those fixed choke guns in.

TIP: The "rectangular" area within the case for your block is not a true rectangle - it is actually trapezoidal in shape. When making your choke tube holder do not cut the wood as a rectangle or you will end up of having voids around the perimeter of the block. Take careful measurements before cutting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2024, 03:56 PM   #19
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

I LOVE the subtle but definitely pronounced "Muderlakian Twist" to this thread! What a ball he would have with it were he alive today!!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2024, 09:35 AM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ed M. was a classic "curmudgeon" of the unfriendly genre. I, however, took over the "curmudgeon" title of the PGCA forum. However, I, unlike Ed, am a friendly "curmudgeon", out to educate and assist fellow members. Too bad some PGCA posters don't see it that way. Oh, well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: