Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

More on my AAH 12 gauge
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default More on my AAH 12 gauge

Had requested a research letter and the result was this:

I had a post awhile back on this gun. The barrel is only 28.5 inches so apparently it had been downsized. Its in extremely ruff shape and im starting to do research on a restoration and who is capable. This gun was tossed around a lot, is that typical?
Stephen Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Lyons For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

Budd was a Parker shooter as I recall. This gun has a lot of history attached.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lyons View Post
Had requested a research letter and the result was this:

I had a post awhile back on this gun. The barrel is only 28.5 inches so apparently it had been downsized. Its in extremely ruff shape and im starting to do research on a restoration and who is capable. This gun was tossed around a lot, is that typical?
have you posted pictures of how rough shape its in?
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

i think so but i think they were links, you will have to wait until i get my decent camera charged, as my phone is not quite adequate and sorry for that image being askewed i forgot to flip it
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

Charles W. Budd

The Art of Wing Shooting: A Practical Treatise on the Use of the Shotgun William Bruce Leffingwell 1895
http://books.google.com/books?id=e34EmE3tkfkC
It seems but a few years ago, so swiftly does time speed along, when a modest and unassuming young man bounded into sudden notoriety by reason of his skillful use of the shot-gun. Wild pigeons were plenty then, and at Des Moines, Marshalltown, Cedar Rapids and other points in Iowa, Charles W. Budd speedily gained the reputation of being the best shot in his State. He has attended the prominent tournaments held throughout the United States, and has shot many private matches. Among the high scores he has made are the following:
At Targets—Won Keystone Chanipionship at Cory, Pa., scoring 98x100. Won Chamberlain Championship at Cleveland, Ohio, on a score of 95, tieing with Mr. Huntington; on the shoot-off Mr. Budd won, breaking 95x100.
At Live Pigeons— Defeated John L. Brewer at Dunnellen, N. J., scoring 92x100. Defeated J. R. Stice at Des Moines, killing fifty pigeons straight; also scored 97 out of 100. He defeated E. D. Fulford at Chicago in two matches, scoring 93 in the first match and killing 49 out of 53 in the second match, when Fulford withdrew. Mr. Budd was defeated at Clinton, Iowa, he scoring 96 to Elliott's 98. He defeated Marshall at Oskaloosa, Iowa, killing 96x100. He defeated J. Frank Klientz at Chicago, scoring 98x100.

The 1889 L.C. Smith catalog contains a testimonial from Budd, the “Champion Wing Shot of America, winning the American Championship Badge in five consecutive contests with an L.C. Smith gun.” In a letter from Des Moines dated Sept. 1, 1886:
“Jan. last I bought of Messrs. E.W. Smith & Co., gun dealers of this city, one of your $55 guns. In targeting this gun I was more than pleased with results, getting fine patterns with all kinds of charges. The gun has been fired 19,000 times, and is as tight and sound to-day as when taken from the gun store. The following scores have been made by me on live birds with this gun for the champion medal of America, number of birds shot at in each contest 50; 42, 46, 49 and 50 straight; 31 yards rise using ground traps. Have just received the new "L.C. Smith" Hammerless gun, and I am greatly pleased with it. I think it superior to any Hammerless gun made. I have used it constantly at the trap, both on live birds and on inanimate targets, with the best of success. your gun seems to bear out all that you recomend”

He used a Parker in defeating J. “147” L. Winston, "The Wizard of the West" for the Du Pont Cup in 1897 at Watson's Shooting Park, Chicago.

March 19 1898 Sporting Life
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3026022.pdf
C.W. Budd "Iowa Indian", Des Moines, Iowa., is known to shooting men all over this country. He is at the present time one of the oldest trap shooters now active at the traps, and that his eye has lost none of its quickness is frequently shown by his winning first average at some of the big shoots. He has made many records with the shotgun and won the target championship a few years ago at Corry, Pa., on the score of 98x100. He once defeated J. L. Brewer and killed 97 out of 100 pigeons in a match against J. R. Stice. He killed 96 out of 100 pigeons in a match with Thos. Marshall, and in Chicago a few years ago defeated Frank Kleinz by scoring 98 out of 100 live birds. He won the Du Pont Trophy from Winston but lost it to Elliott although killing 93 out of 100 birds. At St. Louis last November he killed 47 birds without a miss. As a target shot he ranks high. His best record last year was made at Atchison, Kan. where he made an average of 94.3 per cent, for 480 shots. Charlie Budd is a deservedly popular man and is a great favorite among the shooters. He is very quiet and gentlemanly, good hearted and jovial, and ever ready to aid a friend in need of assistance. He is partial to the Parker gun, Hazard Smokeless powder and U.M.C. shells.

He won the "American Field Cup" in 1898, emblematic of the Pigeon Championship of America.

Budd was part of the victorious American team in the June 1901 Anglo-American Clay Bird Match using a Parker (POSSIBLY YOURS).
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3713023.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3714019.pdf
The British trap shooters, in recognition of the victory of the American gunners, arranged a special contest for the visiting team for the British Presentation Cup. It cost forty guineas (about $200) and was the largest shooting trophy in the world. After two days of shooting, two Iowans, Fred Gilbert and C. W. Budd were tied at 23 out of 25 targets. In the shoot-off Gilbert won as Budd broke 7 out of 12 and withdrew.
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3715020.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3715021.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3716019.pdf

He later shot for U.M.C. and used a Remington C.E.O. Trap and in Sept. 1905 was high expert at Cincinnati with a score of 545 out of 600 targets from 20 yards.
In 1906 he was shooting a Remington Autoloading Shotgun.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 07-14-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

1893 Columbian Exposition Trade Card

C.W. Budd, S.A. Tucker, and A. W. Du Bray. Not sure about the shooter with the beard.

Unread 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Drew Hause!! I have spent hours just now researching and didnt find nearly that much info! I love to learn about this gun, its not leaving my hands. I did put some photos on my thread awhile back but ill put up a few now that i know more and know the barrel isnt proper.

Here are a few:

Unread 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

More about the 1901 Anglo-American Match here
https://docs.google.com/document/pub...jEdR4j_E9l4HLw

It would be extraordinary if you could confirm your gun went to England with Budd!
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

I dont know how i would go about it you seem to be finding more info than I, and how extraordinary? Being honest about not knowing much about collectables in general i dont know how significant any of the history of the gun is, is this one to be restored?
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is so cool, the info these guys get is more than amazing.
Stephen, see if you can get some photos of the numbers on the gun. Enjoy the gun and the history.

Paul
Paul Plager is offline   Reply With Quote